Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 22:30   #121

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Happiness is a Warm Spool Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Pic #5. Jug after securing board is slid underneath. Mouth of jug captured by sink drain fitting.
Steve
Hi Steve
There seems to be quite a gap still between the drain and the opening of the jug. When the boat is rolling (frequent at anchor here in the Med) and you try pumping out it is likely to miss the opening. A short very flexible hose attached to the drain that you are able to poke in the jug as it is sliding in would avoid this I think.
Attached Images

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 22:35   #122

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Hi Steve
There seems to be quite a gap still between the drain and the opening of the jug. When the boat is rolling (frequent at anchor here in the Med) and you try pumping out it is likely to miss the opening. A short very flexible hose attached to the drain that you are able to poke in the jug as it is sliding in would avoid this I think.
The next photo shows it in place.
Old 01-08-2013, 22:54   #123

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
The next photo shows it in place.
Oh, yes, I see now that that jug is raised in the next shot so that a bit of the drain enters it .

Thought it was unlike Steve to leave it with a gap LOL.

Steve, I continue to be impressed with your work. Keep the photos coming .

Old 02-08-2013, 08:04   #124

Boat: Irwin citation 40 "Southern Toy"

AAAH youall nice posts,you make me miss being young, so I will just go sailing
Ole
olepedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:01   #125

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by olepedersen View Post
AAAH youall nice posts,you make me miss being young, so I will just go sailing
Ole
AAAH, you make me look forward to being old, so I will just keep building.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:19   #126

Quote:
Oh, yes, I see now that that jug is raised in the next shot so that a bit of the drain enters it .
Hi Seaworthy,

Yep, the drain enters the mouth of the jug. The Idea was for the sink to provide some of the security of the jug. I can imagine that 4 or 5 gallons of water sloshing around during an angry sea state could overcome this system. I will probably drill some strategically placed holes in the cabinetry to allow a lashing during (my very rare) rough water crossings.

I have been wondering. How does one place photo's in between a body of text? As it is, all my photo's end up at the end of my text. I have used my "picture numbering" format but I think it would be better to create a caption for each shot. I am guessing that persons using a small screen to read my posts have a hard time keeping track of which caption goes to a particular picture.

Steve
Old 02-08-2013, 09:55   #127

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
I have been wondering. How does one place photo's in between a body of text? As it is, all my photo's end up at the end of my text. I have used my "picture numbering" format but I think it would be better to create a caption for each shot. I am guessing that persons using a small screen to read my posts have a hard time keeping track of which caption goes to a particular picture.

Steve
Hi Steve
I'm not sure. Perhaps someone else can chime in here. All my photos just end up at the bottom of the page as well. If I want to add a specific caption I have been attaching only one photo per post.

If no one responds I will ask Admin Support

Old 04-08-2013, 21:17   #128

Windlass Refurbishment.

Panope's original Simpson Lawrence 555 windlass was still functional but seemed very stiff (high effort at crank even with no load). Paint was shot from 35 years in the elements.

Pic #1. Removing phenolic bearings with press.

Pic #2. Wildcat stripper was hopelessly corroded in place. Drilled and driven with drift.

Pic #3. Blasted and ready for epoxy primer.

Pic #4. Original bushings showed very little wear. A small amount of silicone was applied to the lip as the bushing was driven home to keep water out and grease in.

Pic #5. The gears and shafts showed very little or no wear.

Pic #6. The original bottom plate was a little corroded and warped. New plate is about 50% thicker.

Pic #7. Packed full of new grease and ready for another 35 years.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windlass refurbishment 001.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	65084   Click image for larger version

Name:	windlass refurbishment 008.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	65085  

Name:	windlass refurbishment 009.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	441.8 KB
ID:	65086   Click image for larger version

Name:	windlass refurbishment 022.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	409.2 KB
ID:	65087  

Name:	windlass refurbishment 031.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	65088   Click image for larger version

Name:	windlass refurbishment 015.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	65089  

Name:	windlass refurbishment 037.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	65090  
Old 07-08-2013, 16:45   #129

Sandinsanity.

Thank you Rick (Knottybuoyz) for the very appropriate terminology. Actually, my working conditions are rather pleasant compared to others who are working indoors. I have no idea how someone can sand all day long in a 90 degree tent.

I am just knocking off the loose and very rough stuff. No fancy smooth finish work here - 36 grit is as fine as I need to go.

I will roll on a very thick coat of epoxy primer with some non skid particles sprinkled on before it dries. Then a top coat (same color as the primer) gets rolled on. It will be lumpy and the numerous surface imperfections will show nicely.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sandinsanity 001.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	65229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sandinsanity 004.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	434.1 KB
ID:	65230  

Old 09-08-2013, 18:21   #130

Corrosion.

I have now worked over just about every square inch of Panope's exterior with my grinder or sander. I found this small area of significant corrosion around these bronze port hole fasteners.

Bronze is certainly a no-no on an aluminum boat. My father knew this and when he installed these ports 30+ years ago, he made an decent attempt at isolating the two metals with plastic spacers and bedding compound. Apparently it was not quite enough.

The best solution to this problem will be to install new aluminum framed port holes (preferably welded in place). But that is not what is gonna happen now.

What is going to happen is that I will sandblast the affected area and slather on a bunch of thick epoxy primer. No doubt that this corrosion will continue at some very slow pace.

I do like the aesthetics of these traditional round ports with the bronze-green patina. However, I do fantasize about installing larger oval shaped ports for more light down below.

Maybe when my 4 year old daughter takes over the boat from me she can fix it right!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sandinsanity 015.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	65332  
Old 10-08-2013, 12:35   #131

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Panope, what a remarkable achievement in skill, aesthetics and creativity. It is this type of talent, attention to detail and drive that have created the technological world in which we live. Thank you for sharing your impressive skills. Good luck and good sailing.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:49   #132

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Panope, what a remarkable achievement in skill, aesthetics and creativity. It is this type of talent, attention to detail and drive that have created the technological world in which we live. Thank you for sharing your impressive skills. Good luck and good sailing.
And unfortunately it is "the technological world in which we live" that has meant skills like this are largely becoming a lost art .

Old 10-08-2013, 12:58   #133

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
And unfortunately it is "the technological world in which we live" that has meant skills like this are largely becoming a lost art .

Seaworthy Lass,

It is not technology, in its root meaning, that has contributed to the loss of these remarkable skills, but rather automation that has replaced man with a machine. I agree, however, with your general intent but not your choice of words. Good luck and good sailing. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 21:15   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Thanks rognvald. It is my pleasure to share with this group. I have certainly drawn a lot from here so it is good to give back. Also, The positive feedback (and lack of negative feedback) has been good for my own confidence. I am normally pretty sure of myself but occasionally I will wonder if I am headed down some crazy path when dreaming up some new contraption.

Another benefit of this thread is that it has forced me to create a chronological and photographic record for my own (and future caretakers of Panope) use.

Quote:
There does seem to be a movement away from people creating things by hand in our world today. My parents bought me an erector set when I was a kid, whereas today I might have received an Ipad. Then again, the proliferation of cheap goods that are available today may have allowed me to have both the erector set and the Ipad.

Today's ability to buy quality tools readily and cheaply has been a big factor in my ability to produce quality work. As an example, when my father built Panope the first time, a router was a fairly uncommon tool for your typical do-it-yourself type person and indeed, he did not have one.

Steve
Old 11-08-2013, 21:01   #135

Welding wrap-up.

I am pushing hard to get the decks and house painted before it starts raining (usually late September). These are the last of the welding projects on my to do lists.

Pic #1. A stand pipe over the #2 anchor rode deck penetration. It will help keep water out of the chain locker. Hole in foreground is for windlass mounting bolts.

Pic #2. Jib sheet block anchor point on cabin house. Will allow sheeting the jib inside the shrouds. One port. One starboard.

Pic #3. Cleat on outside of aft handrail for sheeting a second high-flying (yankee?) head sail. One port. One starboard.

Pic #4,5,6. I have further strengthened my shroud chain plates by adding an additional 1/4" by 6 inch plate to the inboard side. Chain plates are now a three layer sandwich totaling 1 inch thick. I am really not sure why I did this as the chain plates were already oversize. Just following my gut feeling.

Tomorrow I will coil up the welding cables and put all the welding equipment away for a good while.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7545 022.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	65419   Click image for larger version

Name:	7545 021.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	65420