It has been more than a year since the last post so here is an up-date.
Been using the boat quite a bit: Lots and lots of day sailing
, about 6 different weekend trips the the San Juan Islands
, the annual shrimp slaughter down on Hood
Canal and a nice 11 day trip to Barkley Sound (West coast Vancouver Island).
I did manage to finish up a couple projects. I lined the inside of the icebox
. Used a brush on the finish paint
- can see brush strokes but is smooth enough to easily wipe clean. I use frozen 1 gallon water
jugs to keep cool. One jug lasts 3 days during constant use. I did leave a frozen jug in place when I was not aboard and some ice remained after 7 days. During the 11 days aboard on that trip to Barkley sound, I used the small Engel Cooler to refreeze a second water
jug, rotating every 2 days.
I added "Soundown" acoustic insulation
to the engine
box. I was happily surprised at the amount of difference this made. Well worth the cost.
A good friend (a circumnavigator) once told me that it will take a year for me to really learn to sail this boat. At the time I figured he was underestimating my abilities - I was wrong! I now have two (6 month) seasons of sailing experience with the "new" Panope and although I feel like I have got things pretty well sorted, I continue to refine both the boat's rigging
and my skills. I try to go daysailing in as much wind
as I can safely exit and return to/from my slip. I am typically single
handed with a focus on developing techniques for self-steering with a locked helm. The autopilot
does a fine job of holding a heading but the goal of "locked helm self steering" is too enticing to leave alone.
Here is a video taken during an upwind leg with a 25 knot
breeze. The boat is pretty tender
so the mains'l must be deeply reefed. This, along with the boat's high windage and shallow keel
means boat speed slows when beating into higher winds. Fetch is only a mile or so but a cross swell from larger water is also present.
Helm was locked during this video.
Warning: Turn your volume down as the initial sound is horribly loud. Sorry for such a crappy Video.
Here is a Video depicting some speedy motorsailing. I was on a tight schedule and needed make 80 miles that day - dead to windward. I set the main with a single
reef and used my normal power setting of 25%/10 horsepower/2500 r.p.m. This combination of sail and power worked beautifully and I was able to knock of this leg in 11 hours. I have gained some respect for the concept
of a motor-sailor type boat that has a small sailing rig.
did all the steering
on this leg.
Speaking of motoring, that normal power setting of 2500 rpm
gives 6.2 knots (no wind) while burning .55 gallons per hour.
Best sailing speeds that I have seen are: just under 6 knots while beating (tacks thru 100 degrees on compass), 7 knots while beam reaching, 8 knots on a broad reach (started to get a little squirly in the gusts) and about 7 knots DDW (I'm too chicken to carry full sail DDW as this main is very difficult to prevent on account of the mast being soooooooo far forward).
Things are pretty well ship shape on deck
. I have recently cut all the running rigging
lines to proper lengths and whipped all ends. Have also been making up lots of soft shackles (from Amsteel) for various uses such as these Jib sheet Pennants:
All of the installed equipment
and systems have been getting thoroughly used and tested. The only failure that I can think of is a broken dinghy
paddle blade (crappy plastic). The engine
now has 350 hours and as not missed a beat.
Future projects include rebuilding/refinishing of the main cabin sole
, painting (white) some of the bright work down below (to brighten the place up) and replacement of some of the old wood trim that does not match the style of the new woodwork of the Pilot house.
That's all for now.......