Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2015, 14:15   #76

Re: Hand Tap or Drill Motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacaranda View Post
Having spent considerable time and effort involved with drilling and tapping in all sizes in varied materials by varied methods,
unless you have access to precision machinery guaranteeing alignment ,drill by hand drill and always always tap by hand using proper lubricant, specially on alum to prevent binding . If you are in a hurry use a machine tap (by hand) rather than the typical 3 handset

Brendan
Right! And if you have a drill press available and you want the most precision, you can put the tap in the chuck and turn the chuck by hand using the key for leverage and some pressure from the drill press feed. Then after starting several revolutions, you can if you want to, continue with a tap wrench by hand and it will follow the hole. ( as normal, backing the tap to clear it every few turns as necessary)

Make sure the drill press is unplugged. (Usually having previously drilled the hole in the press under power.)
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 15:23   #77

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHO View Post
Right! And if you have a drill press available and you want the most precision, you can put the tap in the chuck and turn the chuck by hand using the key for leverage and some pressure from the drill press feed. Then after starting several revolutions, you can if you want to, continue with a tap wrench by hand and it will follow the hole. ( as normal, backing the tap to clear it every few turns as necessary)

Make sure the drill press is unplugged. (Usually having previously drilled the hole in the press under power.)
Sounds good to me. Having the work fat on the table or in a V clamp. Doing it by a hand held drill? Hard enough by hand to get the tap square.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 16:45   #78

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

First time you break one off in the work you'll know why you'll want to take your time.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 16:54   #79

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
First time you break one off in the work you'll know why you'll want to take your time.
You could always buy a Plasma cutter. I thought they would be the cats meow but alas, they have a learning curve too.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 17:25   #80

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post

It's hard to get one out. Drilling one is about impossible. I haven't a clue on the Rockwell on a tap?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 17:56   #81

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.

Jesus this thread is a clusterf@#k of mis-information! I have 30 years experience in machining, I have tapped every conceivable material including 303/ 304/ 17-4/ X35 and X51 stainless heat treated and not, brass, copper,bronze, and every grade of aluminum, forged, and cast. Hell i've even tapped a my share of females but that's another story! (Buy some tapping fluid!!!! It truly does work best!!!) if tapping with a press use a spring-loaded tap guide and a tap handle, You can chuck the tap and power tap in the softer materials(non-stainless) If tapping by hand drill use some form of a guide to keep your plundge as parallel as possible in and out. use a #7 (.201) on 1/4 20 don't go bigger or smaller. Your mast is most likely extruded aluminum and will be gummy and slightly brittle. A good tapping fluid and methodically tapping by hand should easily do the job without much incident.
svGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 18:25   #82

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

You can lead a horse to water but...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 19:14   #83
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by svGenesis View Post
if tapping with a press use a spring-loaded tap guide and a tap handle, You can chuck the tap and power tap in the softer materials(non-stainless)
So that's what that "thing" that I have is called--a spring-loaded tap guide. OK. I like it, whatever it is called because it lets me use the press nicely.
Old 14-11-2015, 05:43   #84

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Hand Tap or Drill Motor?

I figured this thread would consist of 5 or 6 posts. Silly me.

If this were something I could take to a machine shop, I'd have done so. However, it's the mast, in the boat.

The all in one drill/tap gizmo noted above is probably the way to go given the mast is thin material. Heck, the TEK screw would perfect except for the guff I'd have to take from onlookers.

I have a tap set with the right numbered drill bits but truth be told, I am close to riveting the thing and being done with it. I've learned the hard way about broken taps. At my local Ace, the "EZ"-Outs are located right next to the tap selection.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 06:03   #85

Boat: Kanter Yachts Steel Spray 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post

If this were something I could take to a machine shop, I'd have done so. However, it's the mast, in the boat.

The all in one drill/tap gizmo noted above is probably the way to go given the mast is thin material. Heck, the TEK screw would perfect except for the guff I'd have to take from onlookers.

I have a tap set with the right numbered drill bits but truth be told, I am close to riveting the thing and being done with it. I've learned the hard way about broken taps. At my local Ace, the "EZ"-Outs are located right next to the tap selection.
BTW, if you are attaching something to the mast, it might be LOTS easier to drill it and use pop rivets... just sayin'.
TKDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 06:21   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:

Are you serious??? We're passionate about our tapping Crabby...

AND if you cant appreciate such amorous feelings about a well lubed hole and a twisting tool.... Well... Maybe you SHOULD just go ahead and rivet...

----

On another note... What the hell are we sticking on the mast... ?

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 06:51   #87

pirate Re: Hand Tap or Drill Motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Are you serious??? We're passionate about our tapping Crabby...

AND if you cant appreciate such amorous feelings about a well lubed hole and a twisting tool.... Well... Maybe you SHOULD just go ahead and rivet...

----

On another note... What the hell are we sticking on the mast... ?
Well, I didn't want to go off half-cocked here, altho in my case that is still pretty impressive if ya get my drift.

As to what it is, I've been hoping no one would ask. But I haven't had my ass kicked in awhile so I will now admit to a worldwide readership that I am moving the boom up a bit so that I may enter the hopefully not-too-ugly hard dodger club.

I've been fooling around with making a proper sliding gooseneck but I'm not sure that my sail track can handle an accidental jibe so am back to pinning the gooseneck to the mast.
Old 14-11-2015, 07:17   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Well, I didn't want to go off half-cocked here, altho in my case that is still pretty impressive if ya get my drift.

Yea... Yea... Anybody who is familiar with a crab gauge would already know that ... "You're a keeper"....

As to what it is, I've been hoping no one would ask. But I haven't had my ass kicked in awhile so I will now admit to a worldwide readership that I am moving the boom up a bit so that I may enter the hopefully not-too-ugly hard dodger club.

I isn't gunna kick yer ass.... But... Suggest that rivets are not the best solution... But does your stick look like the attached? ( I couldn't find a gooseneck pic) If so, does your goose wrap around the mast? If so, I think it will be OK...

I've been fooling around with making a proper sliding gooseneck but I'm not sure that my sail track can handle an accidental jibe so am back to pinning the gooseneck to the mast.

That would be a slick setup....
Stupid 5 characters required to post...
Attached Images

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 07:32   #89

Nuh uh. I have a 5/8" external sail track with two of these:

In looking for a better pic I found any number of pinned goosenecks, all riveted. Heh.
Old 14-11-2015, 08:10   #90

Boat: Kanter Yachts Steel Spray 38

Quote:
Nuh uh. I have a 5/8" external sail track with two of these:

In looking for a better pic I found any number of pinned goosenecks, all riveted. Heh.
Yep. For a Cal 29, clamp that sucker to the mast, drill two holes, and pop rivet it so that the part doesn't move, then drill all the other holes and pop rivet them. Just make sure you use the right length of Pop rivet! I'm all for lubing up the hole with the correct fluid, and tapping it good, but in this case, where the mast is not more than 1/4" thick, the pop rivets will do a better job, IMHO.
TKDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor