Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 04:17   #1

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"
H28 on Truck ?! (Australia)

Hi all
I posted a questions some days ago about us ( beginners) sailing the east cost from Airlie Beach to Brisbane. Thank you all for your good advise and we did decide to listen :-) I agree it would be much safer to learn the ropes here at home in Brisbane.
The new plan now is to transport the H28 by truck. We are talking to two companies at the moment who both think it is no problem.
I think we would need a rigger in Airlie beach to take the mast and rigging down and another rigger here in Mainly to put it all together again.
I would love to hear who has done something simular or has heard stories or just thoughts on the truck plan.
The draft is only 4ft and the boat is just under 30 ft with a 9ft beam. Not a big boat at all and we wouldn't have to wait to November to have the Kakahi here.
Love to hear your thoughts.
cheers
Reiner
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 23:01   #2

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
You should consider paying a delivery skipper and going along for a ride. Boats much prefer the water to bumping along on a truck, and the cost of a skipper should be much less. Look in Cruising Helmsman magazine or Afloat. Ask for references and check them. Regards, Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 23:47   #3

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
The H28, if in reasonable condition, is more than capable of making the trip on the water. Trucking it would, I expect, be significantly more expensive than having it delivered by a professional skipper... who, as the above poster pointed out, might take you along for the ride, which would be great experience.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:13   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
I trucked a 28Ft Giles Wanderer (cravel planked) from Brisbane to Perth back in early 90's. Half the critics said it would be matchwood by the time it got there and the other half said "no problems". The "no problem" crowd were right .

It took about 7 days from memory and needed pumping once about 12 hours after re-launching.

It was quite a lot cheaper and much much quicker than sailing from Perth to Brisbane.

As for Whitsundays to Brisbane; well that is a very easy run for the experienced sailor but would be more difficult for a beginner. It really depends on what sort of beginner you really are.

It you have some history of taking on new projects and following through on them, then you would probably be OK; however if this is your first step into a new undertaking, it will be more difficult.

Timing could be an issue, right now the wind will be on the nose the whole trip and this is not so good for the beginner. You won't expect following winds until the wet season kicks in and you will want to get south before the cyclone season.

The plus point for sailing is that the easy stretches will be at the start (leaving the Whitsundays) and this will ease the learning curve so that you will have gained some experience by the time you exit the protection of the Barrier Reef. Even then, it is not a tough trip to get to Brissy.

In my mind, the easiest way is to use cash and truck the boat; the best way is to leave the boat up north until October, then send a few weeks sailing around the Whitsundays getting some experience and then take your time and slowly head south around November. Take as long as you can.

I realize you may not have the time available for such a plan so an alternate plan is find a skipper who is willing to bash south against the trades and go with him right now.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:07   #5

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"
Thanks Wotname, I think we have pretty much decided to truck the Kakahi back to Brisbane. It just makes sense. We been told that the Marina up there charges about $300 per week, leaving it there until Nov would cost more than the truck. If we left it at a swing mooring for $40 per week we can't get insurance up there. We can get a berth here in Mainly right now and could start learning as soon as the boat gets here and fairly stress free. I don't think we could wait to Nov anyway :-)
Thanks again for your thoughts.
Cheers
Reiner
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:25   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiner View Post
If we left it at a swing mooring for $40 per week we can't get insurance up there.

Reiner
Oh! The insurance companies must have heard ther reputation of the guy at Arile beach! seems its not much of a blow before the mooring blocks drift!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia