Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2019, 19:02   #16

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50
Re: Groupe Beneteau’s Bad Brass Ball-Valves

I think that Hunter has always used proper bronze fittings.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 19:30   #17

The CE ratings were devised by the manufacturers so you won’t be sueing anyone as long as they meet those standards minimal as they are in some areas. It’s pretty simple that you don’t get high quality for the cheapest price. You get a boat that meets what the average buyer wants, lots of volume and a low price. Most sailboats hardly ever leave the dock much less cross oceans so why should a builder spend all the extra money to build a boat only a handful of people will actually pay for? Most any boat will cross an ocean given reasonable conditions. Something like a Benni/Hunter at todays prices allow many people to own and sail a boat that they might not otherwise be able to afford. This gets more people sailing so sure they have to watch the nickels and dimes but what else would you expect??
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:32   #18

Boat: Baba 40

this problem was covered over several issues of Yachting Monthly in the past year. Might want to see if you can find some old copies.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:29   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 41

NYSail, have a look at Forespar Marelon Series 93. They have a model with a horizontal hose barb at the valve ball level. Very space saving concept. I am surprised that other manufacturers don’t offer something like that, given the shallow bilges of modern boats. I just put one of them into our Beneteau. Fisheries Supplies stocks this model. Only problem is that Series 93 uses non-standard diameters for the thruhull, so you will have to enlarge the hole in the hull. I guess that is why the call the Series 93 “OEM”.
kupo2kupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 16:14   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

By the way:
Red Loctite and similar products are EASILY RELEASED with a big wrench alone, if they were not applied on perfectly clean threads. Or if they were expired (two year shelf life from manufacturing, one year from opening) when they were applied.
In the event that red Loctite was properly applied, it is also fairly easily released by the factory approved process: Simply heat the threads with a torch. The Loctite scorches and breaks down very quickly, then any handy wrench will unthread the parts.

Loctite, unlike 5200, is not forever.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 16:28   #21
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I recommend to cut away both valve and fitting (Fein Multimaster rules that job) and replace with Groco bronze fitting with Groco flanged adapter on the inside. While at it, I would also put a Groco valve on the adapter as they are as high end as any I’ve seen

Check out the procedure, descriptions and pictures on the article from Rod Collins on Compass Marine.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 16:38   #22

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

What I find quite funny..... so here beneteau wants to save money and use a slightly cheaper fitting....... however in my investigating through my 423 I am finding all sorts of spare wires run for fans, water pumps, tank monitors and the list goes on. They are not hot, however when you go to the panel you can’t find the ends..... massive waste of money. Why not just wire what is there, put quality fittings in and call it break ever. Oh and also, I know the wires and hoses probably look real cool all strapped together run through the boat before the deck is lowered into place, however for future reasons this practice sucks..... just saying.

Greg
2005 beneteau 423
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 14:26   #23

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

On my boat all the thru hulls and seacocks are Groco. All have a white looking handle.

Regarding the extra wiring runs: I was told (and I have observed) that the hull and deck are made to accept all possible options even after the boat leaves the factory. The broker had my boat in stock for a boat show. It had only a winch on the port cabin top, but I wanted the starboard one as well. No problem: Below the deck itself were the fittings to receive the winch. Same for any other option.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 14:28   #24

Yes all options..... if I could only find the other end at the panel.
Old 03-06-2019, 18:36   #25

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 41

NYSail, have you tried to obtain a wiring diagram from the dealer or Beneteau USA. I have one for my 2013 Oceanis 41, and it makes understanding the wiring, well, not easy, but manageable.
kupo2kupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:21   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupo2kupo View Post
NYSail, have you tried to obtain a wiring diagram from the dealer or Beneteau USA. I have one for my 2013 Oceanis 41, and it makes understanding the wiring, well, not easy, but manageable.
In my manual I do have a diagram, however it does not show where they put the ends of the wires behind the panel.... I have used a scope to search for them however only see bundles of wires and no connecting ends. One would think they would hang them so that they are easily found when needed.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2019, 18:09   #27

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post
Yes all options..... if I could only find the other end at the panel.
Yeah, that does present a problem....
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 23:49   #28

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailshabby View Post
this problem was covered over several issues of Yachting Monthly in the past year. Might want to see if you can find some old copies.
I'm amazed this is still a problem, I recall it being identified when we were overwintering in Turkey about ten years ago and being told then that all new Benetaus would be being built using better quality bronze/marelon seacocks , I'd assumed that by now all the old ones would've either had their cocks replaced or that the boats'd sunk.
One of the things we appreciated when we were working our boat in the USA was how easily (compared to Europe) it was to buy and be confident that you really were being sold quality/bronze seacocks rather than brass/BZP or whatever; I think we only once even saw cheap and nasty seacocks being sold in a US Chandlery and they carried on them stressing that they were crap!
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:59   #29

Boat: O38 & J24

bobnlesley: A photo of a below-the-waterline Tonval brass-ball valve installed on a factory new Beneteau. Note that it has CW617N embossed on it indicating that it contains up to 40% zinc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tonval Fitting.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	380.7 KB
ID:	193289  
Fluer de Mer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau