Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2010, 21:20   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Excellent...thanks.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 05:54   #17

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
I have a similar type of tool which I purchased in 1994 IIRC.
It is based on a Makita 4", or 5", grinder body. Mine replaces the standard grinding disc with a 1/2" steel disc which is radially slotted to receive 3 triangular shaped cutters held in by Allen screws. at 120* spacing. Depth adjustment is made by positioning the metal collar on the bearing housing of the Makita.
It was sold as a laminate peeler, for which I have used it many times.
They take some getting used to time, with special care on compound surfaces. Be very careful around thru-hulls, which IMO should be removed for a proper hull peel.
Old 29-11-2010, 07:40   #18

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Dust Muffler

I have one and have used it extensively...very effective. If you position the vacuum port near to the point that your sanding disk discharges the ground glass and you adjust the depth of the devise correctly you should be able to capture 80-90 percent of the ground glass. When I first started using the dust muffler, I had the unit set to deep causing the complete unit dust muffler and grinder to suction onto the working material.

Jack
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 17:17   #19

Re: Grinding Glass

How did it work for you? Polycarbonate is bullet proof glass, so it ought to hold up. If you pair it up with the right vacuum, you ought to be able to capture 99% of the dust. A HEPA vacuum captures the dangerous stuff, which is generally so small that it is invisible. I think a regular shop vac looks like it is doing the job, but it's best to be safe.
datcoart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 17:30   #20

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

I use Dynel fabric for everything now, except where heavy roving is required. Same money, more abrasion resistance, no itch. Very easy to work with and NO ITCH! Bonus, used on deck when properly applied, mimicks old time canvas/ white lead deck and no non skid required.
Old 09-01-2012, 18:20   #21

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

I use a Bosch random orbital sander with a vacuum for fairing. I often don't wear my tyvec suit it is so good at keeping the dust down.

Bosch 1250DEVS 6 in. Dual-Mode Random Orbit Sander-Polisher

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 19:11   #22

I've used a similar dust hood called a DustMuzzle. Worked pretty well on the flat, but any curves, not so much. Got about 75% of it. Now I exclusively use the Festool Rotex 150 with the Festool HEPA vacuum system. Easily gets over 95% of the dust. Expensive tool, but if you have lots of glass sanding to do, worth every penny.
drewke07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 22:02   #23
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Some confusion here, big difference between sanding and grinding. I've tried a number of different models of these devices, and while they're great for sanding they suck for grinding. I can do better with a vac hand held, because of the necessary angle of attack of a grinder, as someone mentioned previously. Good tenting is the best answer. Some of the shops I've worked at have gone to great lengths, from dedicated grinder booths to some rube goldberg devices we built ourselves. For marina work in very picky high end local marina's, we built a plexi box with rubber gloves built in and a vacuum outtake with foam seals on the bottom edges. Think upside down plexi aquarium with heavy duty gloves like you see in bio labs in movies and a vac outtake. No dust at all, you move it around on the work surface and vac as you go. But for me, the harsh truth is that no matter what system you use, enough itch dust will escape to make your life miserable and bring the EPA down on you unless you tent well and suit up. So why not just skip the devices that slow you down and affect the quality of your work and just tent well, suit up, bang it out, and clean up very thoroughly? I find it goes much quicker this way. Our shop threw away all such devices for grinding (except the box, which really just shows a good faith effort to the nitpickers) years ago. Now if we were talking peelers or turboshears here, it would be a different story, we have awesome vacs we built for those. I should post some pics of me suited up and under a major keel grind in the pouring rain, lying in a puddle of water 2" deep with foot deep fiberglass dust turning into mud all over me. Done it for years. No vac can keep up with that kind of major grind. You should see what happens when I fire up the shears...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:18   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, datcoart.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote