Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2012, 03:35   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 39
Grinding fibreglass to dry

I'm about to leave my boat on the hard for the next 4 months in the Caribbean

There are some scratches in my gel coat that have let water into the fiberglass I think. Nothing serious but I want to grind it out and replace before I put it back in the water.

Should I grind out the wet stuff when I haul and leave it for 4 months to dry out?

Or should I wait til when i come back later in the year and grind it when I'm going to fix it?

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
cutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 04:36   #2
Registered User
 
psneeld's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Avalon, NJ
Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Posts: 1,831
Re: Grinding fibreglass to dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutlass View Post
I'm about to leave my boat on the hard for the next 4 months in the Caribbean

There are some scratches in my gel coat that have let water into the fiberglass I think. Nothing serious but I want to grind it out and replace before I put it back in the water.

Should I grind out the wet stuff when I haul and leave it for 4 months to dry out?

Or should I wait til when i come back later in the year and grind it when I'm going to fix it?

Thanks!
Grind now...water will probably NOT dry out in a few months. I had pockets of water within a 1/4 inch of where I ground down for more than 5 months after I started grinding...I also found a 5 foot by 5 foot delaminated section requiring major repair down into 3 layers of roving/matt. Rain is actually good for the eposed areas as it washes off any chemicals that leaxh out of the wet fiberglass.

Grind now so you know what yo are dealing with.

PS..I hope you know that gel coats prior to vinylester really didn'y keep water out of the laminates underneath...that doesn't mean there IS a problem...just that gel coat water resistance is a myth.
__________________

__________________
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 06:36   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Stuart Fl
Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Posts: 692
Re: Grinding fibreglass to dry

First how do u know water has entered the glass?Did you check with a moister meter?Last thing you want to do is grind away GOOD glass.
__________________
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 07:16   #4
Registered User
 
psneeld's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Avalon, NJ
Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Posts: 1,831
Re: Grinding fibreglass to dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual View Post
First how do u know water has entered the glass?Did you check with a moister meter?Last thing you want to do is grind away GOOD glass.
It squirted out...and I could see it in the laminate in many areas.

Moisture meters are suspect in my mind (mainly because the user and their limitations)..

Another method (recommended also by West System Epoxies) is to tape clear plastic over the area...if water is in the laminates...it will appear on the plastic pretty quick if hot outside...but you have to have time to wait and wipe the plastic dry every so often till it stops accumulating moisture.
__________________
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 08:17   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
DeepFrz's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Boat: None at this time
Posts: 7,930
Re: Grinding fibreglass to dry

Sounds like you might have a wet core?
__________________
DeepFrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 11:04   #6
Registered User
 
psneeld's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Avalon, NJ
Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Posts: 1,831
Re: Grinding fibreglass to dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Sounds like you might have a wet core?
No not at all.....just wet laminates...why would you think I was so stupid as to not know the difference between a wet core and wet laminates??? I think I was pretty specific and not at all unsure of my diagnosis or recommended actions. There are lots of inexperienced in this forum...I'm not one of them.

Core???? I never even alluded to one...
__________________
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 11:07   #7
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Grinding fibreglass to dry

Psneeld, chill. Pretty sure both casual and freeze were talking to the op not you.
__________________
minaret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 11:10   #8
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Grinding fibreglass to dry

We talking above the waterline or below? Above the waterline there is no way a scratch has let in enough moisture to be a problem. A crack, maybe. Below the waterline is a whole different story...
__________________
minaret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 11:20   #9
Registered User
 
psneeld's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Avalon, NJ
Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Posts: 1,831
Re: Grinding fibreglass to dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Psneeld, chill. Pretty sure both casual and freeze were talking to the op not you.
I don't think so...but you are right...you always post good stuff too...
__________________
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 11:48   #10
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Grinding fibreglass to dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I don't think so...but you are right...you always post good stuff too...
Thanks, we all try our best. Those guys should use the quote button for clarity, but unless otherwise specified I would assume all posts are responses to the op's question. Especially on page one of a thread.
__________________
minaret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 13:36   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Grinding fibreglass to dry

Why all this drama about water and laminates (non-sandwich, just grp)?

Our hull was smashed against a steel larsen so that a chunk of about 1x1x2'' got 'removed'. We sailed like that for maybe a month, then fixed the boat drying her between tides. I inspected the place some two years later and did not find any osmosis / blisters nor any other signs asking for any further repair.

?

barnie
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 14:16   #12
Registered User
 
psneeld's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Avalon, NJ
Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Posts: 1,831
Re: Grinding fibreglass to dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Why all this drama about water and laminates (non-sandwich, just grp)?

Our hull was smashed against a steel larsen so that a chunk of about 1x1x2'' got 'removed'. We sailed like that for maybe a month, then fixed the boat drying her between tides. I inspected the place some two years later and did not find any osmosis / blisters nor any other signs asking for any further repair.

?

barnie
Because it CAN be a problem...maybe not...but worth grinding down to see if the scratch is already there.

Some boats because of construction and location never have problems while others have severe...you don't really know till you investigate more than a glance at the gel coat.
__________________
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 14:31   #13
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: Grinding fibreglass to dry

You guys tight your belt!!!! Mr Poliester aka You got Osmosisssssss is around!!!
__________________
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 14:35   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Stuart Fl
Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Posts: 692
Re: Grinding fibreglass to dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Because it CAN be a problem...maybe not...but worth grinding down to see if the scratch is already there.

Some boats because of construction and location never have problems while others have severe...you don't really know till you investigate more than a glance at the gel coat.
I,only replyed to the OP regreatfull you misinterputed
__________________
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 14:37   #15
Registered User
 
bruce smith's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: puget sound/ caribbean
Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober
Posts: 330
Re: Grinding fibreglass to dry

Just scratches in the gel coat , disc em off a bit now. Can't hurt, or can it?
Be sure to keep the disc sharp , which will keep it cool. Do not smoke the resin and gum up the disc, cuz as the resin gets too hot, it can get damaged, and the damage will now spread out with the heat.
__________________

__________________
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:48.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.