Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2018, 14:33   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Grey Gunk on hull

Over the winter my fenders developed a grey gunk on the top of the fender. This stuff is hard and a little rubbery. I've tried cleaning solutions like 409, but nothing touches it. If I soak it in hot water the it gets a little easier to scrap off but I'm not getting all of it off. Green pads don't even touch it.

The biggest problem is that it has rubbed a big patch of the stuff onto the hull.

I need suggestions for getting if off the hull without completely destroying the gelcoat. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HullGunk.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	170283  
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 14:57   #2

Re: Grey Gunk on hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
Over the winter my fenders developed a grey gunk on the top of the fender. This stuff is hard and a little rubbery. I've tried cleaning solutions like 409, but nothing touches it. If I soak it in hot water the it gets a little easier to scrap off but I'm not getting all of it off. Green pads don't even touch it.

The biggest problem is that it has rubbed a big patch of the stuff onto the hull.

I need suggestions for getting if off the hull without completely destroying the gelcoat. Thanks!

It’s a bit overkill but a small amount of acetone goes a long way. Really good for rub marks from the dock. Use a very small amount.
rtoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 15:04   #3

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38

I second that. I forgot to take a fender off for a summer a few years ago, and only got around to cleaning it this spring. doesn't take a whole lot of rubbing, but you have to do small patch at a time since acetone evaporates quickly.
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 16:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoha View Post
I second that. I forgot to take a fender off for a summer a few years ago, and only got around to cleaning it this spring. doesn't take a whole lot of rubbing, but you have to do small patch at a time since acetone evaporates quickly.
Before you go to acetone, which will work, but it is so very flammable...

You might go to the local paint store and get some "Goof-Off" a mixture of various solvents that are really good at getting stuff like this off. Handy to keep around...
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 08:52   #5

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

I use MEK. Really bad for ones health but it removes this stuff quickly. Use chemical gloves and avoid breathing fumes.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 09:03   #6

Boat: Catalac 12 M

Scrape carefully with a single edge razor blade then use acetone
DrDelmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 10:12   #7

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
You might go to the local paint store and get some "Goof-Off" a mixture of various solvents that are really good at getting stuff like this off. Handy to keep around...
As suggested above... this stuff has all kinds of names. Goo Gone, Goop Off, etc. It works! It will get rid off any sticky stuff. (like left over old duct tape goo, rub marks on hull, etc.)

Also, there is a product called "Awesome". Learned about it from fellow cruisers. I buy it at the $1 store. It is a boater's best friend. It will turn yellowing lifelines white used with a scrubber sponge. Great on any yellowing or discolored white plastic/rubber. Like dorade vents, cowls, winch holders etc.
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 10:18   #8

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

One more option is ice spray to freeze it hard and then scrape it off.
Old 22-05-2018, 10:55   #9

MEK, Acetone, Lacquer thinner will usually remove that stuff. Some work better than others on certain things. Even less extreme paint thinner may work.
MEK has a bad rep, but mostly based on extreme testing and California saying most everything causes cancer.. As a former Health, Enviro industrial guy I read and researched a lot about it. The testing they do is gross, they inject it directly into rats at increasingly higher levels until they eventually and occasionally get cancer. I really doubt getting it on your hands now and then will do anything. JMHO.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 12:04   #10

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I have had great success cleaning with WD40. Works great on duct tape goo and other super sticky stuff. Since you already have it aboard, worth a try. Its good for your arthritis too.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 12:22   #11
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Xylene is a closer match for the chemistry and will take it right off the hull. Zero risk to the gelcoat.

It looks like plasticizer bleed from the fender. Realistically, this means the fender is trash.
Old 22-05-2018, 15:20   #12

This does seem to be an ongoing problem. Irrespective of brand, the soft material used always seems to exude or decay (UV?) resulting in this dark material. It may well be plasticisers and I am sure the chemists will have investigated. My own experience has shown that sometimes the plastic develops small holes which may ultimately leak.

The solution adopted by the wife was to commandeer my old T shirts and adapt them to fit over the fenders. Just avoid the highly coloured ones and keep the cotton out of the water (everything grows on it). Works reasonably well and keeps me in new T shirts.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 17:09   #13

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I have had great success cleaning with WD40. Works great on duct tape goo and other super sticky stuff. Since you already have it aboard, worth a try. Its good for your arthritis too.

And it will remove that foggy glaze from your car's plastic headlight lenses too. (use an old terry cloth sock or towel)

Or... I guess you could try Windex. The Dad in the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding used Windex for everything. Cuts, pimples, warts, boat fenders, etc.

SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 19:32   #14

Mcquiwer’s h d cleaner works and no fire danger
Bill Conlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 19:46   #15

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

3m Adhesive Remover, no damage.
Not too expensive.
Cheers
SV Cloud Duster