Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2019, 21:24   #1

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan
Green mold on headsail

My 26S has roller furling, and it has no cover for it. Previous owner said they had it under a tarp, but the sail has some green mold on it. Is there a way to restore this, or should I just get a replacement?
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 22:56   #2
cruiser

Re: Green mold on headsail

We had ours cleaned by a sail loft for a very reasonable price, $230 for a genoa on a 62ft boat, where they used bleach and let it soak. There were still some faint yellow streaks where the mold was, but it gradually faded to white after using it in the sun over the summer. Now it’s barely noticable.

The sail was almost new according to the loft, so cleaning was far better than spending $10,000 for a new sail. The previous owner did the same as what probably happened to you, left them up continuously for the years through the winters.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 06:46   #3

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

I would have thought bleach would kill the fabric and stitches? Maybe a very light application?
I have seen used sails on occasion, in the hundreds, not thousands. Is a new sail really 10k? that is more than I paid for my boat lol.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 06:58   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

It’s probably algae. At least that’s what we suffer in Great Lakes. Scrubbing with simple green will remove the worst, but not all, of it. I wouldn’t use bleach on a sail.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 07:28   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
I would have thought bleach would kill the fabric and stitches? Maybe a very light application?
I have seen used sails on occasion, in the hundreds, not thousands. Is a new sail really 10k? that is more than I paid for my boat lol.

A sail for a 62’ boat is!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 07:29   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I can't imagine thinking I would replace a sail because it wasn't pretty.

That said, the pro cleaning formulas are just Oxiclean (hydrogen peroxide). This is a approved for polyester and laminate sails and will do not harm. Do NOT use bleach. Scrub to remove surface dirt first, remove the battens and soak for 4 hours, rinse, and dry in the sun. What little bit remains will bleach out in the sun in just a few days (the peroxide sort of weakens the stain so that he sun can finish it).

https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...g_12353-1.html
Old 13-06-2019, 08:41   #7

Boat: KP 46

I threw mine in the pool and left it overnight, came out pretty clean.
M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 08:48   #8

Boat: O'Day 40

My sail loft advised filling a hot tub with fresh water, adding an enzyme detergent, and letting the sail soak in it for a day with the circulation pump running.
Unfortunately our boat is too small for a hot tub.
Old 13-06-2019, 08:56   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
For a DYS fabric sail, dynema thread with sailcoat from Dolphin sails, yes $10k is actually a very good price without any of the problems the Chinese sails come with for the same price.

Bleach (probably A stronger version of Oxyclean) is about the only way to get rid of the green stains, didn’t seem to hurt the fabric.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 09:07   #10

Boat: 42' Grand Banks M/Y

No experience with a sail, but this stuff was recommended on The Boat Galley and I've found it to be excellent. It has taken mold spots off my vinyl headliner, interior teak trim and paint. Spray it on, wipe it off. It's available at Home Depot. https://www.amazon.com/Siamons-Inter...gateway&sr=8-3
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 09:50   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
...Bleach (probably A stronger version of Oxyclean) is about the only way to get rid of the green stains, didn’t seem to hurt the fabric.

Chlorine bleach (hypochlorite) is completely different from Oxiclean (percarbonate). They are not related, anymore than nylon is related to polyester.

Yes, bleach WILL weaken the fabric 5-30% each time, depending on dose and time. This is will proven. It will reduce laminate sails to trash. (I've done testing with rope and sail cloth companies)

Concrobium is a good preventative (but it is washed off by rain), but a weak cleaner, and not a stain remover.
Old 13-06-2019, 12:23   #12

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

I wash all my sails every year or two. Simply wash them in the bath. A little detergent, and a splash of bleach, prod the bundle for a little while and leave to soak for an hour or three. Any bad spots I give a bit of a scrub with a brush. Carry outside and lye them on a trampoline and give them a hose down to rinse and then leave them to drip dry.

Ropes I just put in a bag and throw in to the clothes washing machine. They come out great.
Old 13-06-2019, 13:43   #13

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
I threw mine in the pool and left it overnight, came out pretty clean.
M
Plus one! I did that on my previous boat and it worked well with no deterioration over subsequent years
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 14:26   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djarraluda View Post
Plus one! I did that on my previous boat and it worked well with no deterioration over subsequent years
Roger

In fact, it is 100% certain there was deterioration over subsequent years. You just don't know what portion of the chafe and stretch was accelerated by bleaching of the fabric. But bathing suits hold up pretty well, so logically, it can't be too much. But it does damamge them over a long season.

Lab testing shows about 1% loss in strength for every hour at 100 ppm. So 10 hours at 5 ppm cost you about 0.5% strength. The risk is using a lot of bleach on a stubborn stain.
Old 15-06-2019, 07:48   #15

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I’ve followed thinwaters recommendation of oxyclean, and sun heatead water in the past. It made absolutely no difference whatsoever to my 6 year old sails. In the end i used some oxalic acid on rust stains, but it did nothing to remove the grease/oil marks left on one of the sails from the furling system.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, mold, sail