Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2015, 04:17   #16

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Gravity fed Taylors heater while sailing?

Just for the info (from memory) the dickenson stove was a lofoten, with a side mounted valve, so it sat for and aft. We often lit it in Usuaia, sailed to antarctica and back, for a 24 day voyage, then shut it down for a clean when we got back to Usuaia. The thing ran continuously at sea and at anchor without any drama's. If we got any real bad weather I would have shut it down. I can't recall having any problems with it other than it getting coked up and smoking once that a good clean fixed. I wouldn't leave a boat unattended with it running, but we usually went to sleep with it ticking over.

The other boat was a 64 foot schooner with a sig stove if I recall correctly, unfortunately no balance draft fitted. we used it at sea on the way to south america to dry out the boat . it worked fine for a few days until we adjusted the main staysail and ended up with a cloud of acrid smoke belching out the heater and coughing crew gagging as they ran on deck. We decided the boat was dry enough so we shut it down..

My old pressurised kerosine taylors heater worked fine. I never used it sailing, but would have been comfortable to do so if I was cold. It probably would have been hard to prime with the boat rolling, spilling meths would be an issue, but once lit it would work fine.

I sometimes ran for a day or so without issues at anchor. I didn't leave the boat with it on, or sleep with it on, It needed occasional re-pressurisation, about every 2 hours or so, depending on how full the tank was. I thought it was a great unit, and it burnt very clean, with a small flue (1 inch). It really dried out the boat, and pumped out the heat, certainly on my small folkboat type boat.

Just be careful if you strip it down as there may be some asbestos lagging in the top.

Cheers

Ben
Old 02-06-2019, 05:37   #17

Can anyone please help me identify what this is please.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190601_130343.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	193076  
d34thfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:30   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Don’t know, judging by size of the smoke stack I’d say it’s some kind of diesel heater.

Why not send this picture to Base Camp in the U.K. I’m pretty sure they would know.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:43   #19

Boat: 1968 Sparkman and Stephens. '1 ton' 36 ft, Kauri
Send a message via Skype™ to Saltyrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34thfx View Post
Can anyone please help me identify what this is please.
Refleks?
Saltyrope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing