Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2017, 09:48   #1

Boat: Tartan 4400
Gooseneck Connection Cracks

We are looking at purchasing a 2006 45' Tartan Sloop with a 65' carbon fiber mast. The attached photo shows some hairline cracks at the Boom connection point. Looking for opinions on how serious they might be.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Gooseneck small.pdf (30.1 KB, 117 views)
dksail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 19:35   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Gooseneck Connection Cracks

You need a professional assessment by someone like GMT Composites. An incorrect diagnosis could cost you thousands.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 12:28   #3

Boat: Tartan 4400

Thanks Orion Jim. Just to bring the community up to speed on the progress.

Based on your recommendation, I researched GMT. I found a carbon fiber mast inspection sheet from GMT on the web and in it they suggested to send them anything that looks interesting or of concern. I sent them the picture and they said the following:
"It's impossible to say for sure from pictures. The most simple way to be sure is to grind back the cracks and see if they extend into the laminate. My best guess is this area has some fill in it used for fairing the gooseneck area before painting, and this is what is showing cracks. If it were mine though, I would grind it down to be sure."
The surveyor also said grind it down. So grind it down we will. I hope GMT is right on their speculation. Thanks for your help.
dksail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 12:53   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

There are Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) & Non-Destructive Inspection (NDI) methods for evaluating the condition of laminates. Some of which don't require any physical alteration of the part (grinding), to the best of my knowledge. Which on this subject is quite limited. So it would be worth doing some research on your part to find out what some of them are, & if it makes sense to apply them in this situation.

There are multiple forums which cover a whole spectrum of NDT, & NDI. Plus of course companies which specialize in this kind of thing. With sub-specialization in material types, & in what applications a particular material is use. And if this is a path that you may take, there are some engineers on this forum who are familiar with this type of thing. I think that leftbrainstuff may be of help on this. And perhaps minaret, & a64pilot. But as to who else, you'd have to ask around, & or, create a new thread.

I'd love to know what you find out. My (semi-educated) guess on this kind of thing is that such tests are done to determine the integrity of the reinforcing fibers in a laminate without having to destroy it & rebuild it. Such as checking keel floors in a boat after a grounding, where no damage is apparent visually, but that more than a cursory (visual) inspection is desired.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 12:55   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes. Ask a pro composites company for their opinion.

Did you say carbon fiber?

Odd white pain used. I have seen only one white painted carbon mast before. many were just varnished (=black).

The neck looks alloy, the bolts look SS, the mast is carbon. This does not result in much corrosion? Just asking as I know carbon is conductive.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote