Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 14:08   #1

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Good Looking Hard Dodger/Bimini

The boat builder wants to put a combined hard dodger/binimi on my 42' centre cockpit boat being built. It has one roof level so that you don't have to stoop going down the companionway. It's a great idea but my centre cockipt has a high cockpit sole and I'm afraid that it will look all wrong with huge front windows. Has anyone got pics of ones that actually look good on 40ish footers, particularly centre cockpits ?

Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 15:37   #2

Boat: Farr 46
Re: Good Looking Hard Dodger/Bimini

have a look at
Picasa Web Albums - Steve - Hard dodgers ...#
for a good range of examples.
The orange centre cockpit is a NZ designed Young 43, I doubt if this has full headroom under the dodger. They look very balanced
Have a look at the Van der Stadt samoa 47, their dodger looks very good IMO (there are several pictured in the above link, but not labelled) , but they have a step down in the cockpit sole to achieve full headroom
I think if you have a high cockpit floor, then it will be very difficult to avoid looking like an apartment building if you want full head room.
Suggest you ask the builder to make a cheap cardboard or plywood mock up, paint it the intended finish colour and paint the intended window shape in black, then see if you can live with it.
Marinheiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 15:55   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Good Looking Hard Dodger/Bimini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinheiro View Post
have a look at
Picasa Web Albums - Steve - Hard dodgers ...#
for a good range of examples.
The orange centre cockpit is a NZ designed Young 43, I doubt if this has full headroom under the dodger. They look very balanced
Have a look at the Van der Stadt samoa 47, their dodger looks very good IMO (there are several pictured in the above link, but not labelled) , but they have a step down in the cockpit sole to achieve full headroom
I think if you have a high cockpit floor, then it will be very difficult to avoid looking like an apartment building if you want full head room.
Suggest you ask the builder to make a cheap cardboard or plywood mock up, paint it the intended finish colour and paint the intended window shape in black, then see if you can live with it.
+1 on this! Otherwise, you could end of with something very ugly and expensive to change. I couldn't live with some of those in the web album.

Tags
dodger