Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 01:52   #1

Boat: 57ft Steel Expedition Vessel
Gold Coast Anti-fouling Locations

Hi All

We are heading north from Sydney in a few weeks and we need our bum scrubbed, we got a price in Sydney and our jaw dropped. I have heard tales of low cost anti fouling on the gold coast.

Has anyone come across this? if so where is it and how do we get hold of these folks.

Really appreciate any help on this.

Thanks guys

Damien
Dame.n.Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:45   #2

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
I got good quotes from Gold coast city marina and Rivergate marina in Brisbane
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:14   #3

Boat: None
Send a message via Skype™ to pdbms
Re: Gold Coast Anti-fouling Locations

The slip near the marina at Iluka was great when we did ours last time.
Old 12-07-2012, 13:29   #4

Boat: 1950's Lakes Cruiser

I do my own antifouling - if you want to try it yourself you will need a motorised high pressure hose, some bathroom brushes, soft scraper paint brushes and roller brushes - plenty of turps and rags 2 tubes of sukerflex and good weather - get a slab and a couple of mates and you are done. All slips have fresh water and power - total cost $ 385 to slip in and out $ 48 per day and $ 400 for the antifouling paint + $ for turps and brushes - total 2 days. Find a small port along the coast they are less expensive than the bigger ones - have a look at the picture of my boat on the slip at Mallacoota Victoria (no access to the sea for big boats) - Mv-Romnya
MV-Romnya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 14:20   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I had a fouled bottom just before I left, the slip I had planned was knocked out by bad weather, then the operator went on holiday...

So in desperation I went to Noakes in Sydney. They had been emailing me with all sorts of special offers so I gave them a call.

Ben quoted me a price that seemed reasonable, they supplied the paint and we supplied the labour.

The working conditions there are great, best we've ever had. It's flat and a short drive to everything. Long walk to the ferry (30+ min! - do check the timetable) but doable.

We were quoted two days, coming out on the Friday and going back on the Monday. We ended up coming out about midday and going back in about 2:00PM with three days on the invoice. I queried it and they knocked it back to two days - big difference.

They also quoted on taking back unused paint. Bit of hesitation but they stuck to their end of the bargain. Worked out well as I have so many cans of this and that that I'm running out of space. We went with Micron Extra (self polishing!) and Primocon (steel boat!) and so far (4 months) it's good.

The big surprise was, with all the money I saved over paying to have the boat done I sprung $300 for Propspeed. They did it (it does have to go on and "dry" in dry weather but easy), I just watched.

The boat went from having a maximum of 2250 rpm with everything clean to getting 2500. No need for a new prop! We averaged 6.5 knots against the East Coast Current, with 8 knots on the GPS at times. Made day hops between safe havens along the NSW coast possible.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 22:41   #6
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Some options are

Marks Point, Lake Maquarrie
Soldiers Point, Port Stephens
Albatross Marina, Port Stephens
Oyster Cove, Port Stephens
Boat Works, Coomera - its the yard near Gold Coast City Marina (and a bit cheaper than GCCM).

All of these will take a multihull, except Soldiers Point (I do not know what you are sailing). They all allow you work on your own yacht. They all allow you to live aboard and have decent showers and toilets. Sadly there seems little difference in prices, some are cheaper, in and out, but make up with it for a higher daily rate. Some charge more for power and acid wash, some rent the power washer, some do not. They all tend to be cheaper than Sydney, by 30% ish. The 'best' is probably Boat Works, because it has a choice of all facilities, chandlers, sparkies, mechanics etc etc - so if you need it, you'll find it nearby. The nearest food shops are quite a long way away. But Soldiers Point, great facilities (including a sauna - if that turns you on). Oyster Cove, lots of space. Marks Point, on bus route it all depends on what you need.
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 01:40   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

We hauled (travel lift) for an insurance survey at Lawries Boat yard, Budinna (Mooloolaba, Sunshine Coast).

Price was right, and the service was quick and efficient.

We touched up our antifouling while we were out.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 06:01   #8

Pro-Care Marine antifouling and boat detailing Antifouling Gold Coast & boat detailing services QLD working out of Southport, Coomera, Runaway Bay and beyond
brenno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 21:10   #9

Boat: Southern Ocean 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
I had a fouled bottom just before I left, the slip I had planned was knocked out by bad weather, then the operator went on holiday...

So in desperation I went to Noakes in Sydney. They had been emailing me with all sorts of special offers so I gave them a call.

Ben quoted me a price that seemed reasonable, they supplied the paint and we supplied the labour.

The working conditions there are great, best we've ever had. It's flat and a short drive to everything. Long walk to the ferry (30+ min! - do check the timetable) but doable.

We were quoted two days, coming out on the Friday and going back on the Monday. We ended up coming out about midday and going back in about 2:00PM with three days on the invoice. I queried it and they knocked it back to two days - big difference.

They also quoted on taking back unused paint. Bit of hesitation but they stuck to their end of the bargain. Worked out well as I have so many cans of this and that that I'm running out of space. We went with Micron Extra (self polishing!) and Primocon (steel boat!) and so far (4 months) it's good.

The big surprise was, with all the money I saved over paying to have the boat done I sprung $300 for Propspeed. They did it (it does have to go on and "dry" in dry weather but easy), I just watched.

The boat went from having a maximum of 2250 rpm with everything clean to getting 2500. No need for a new prop! We averaged 6.5 knots against the East Coast Current, with 8 knots on the GPS at times. Made day hops between safe havens along the NSW coast possible.

Hey Boracay
Do you mean you have primocon on the whole hull?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
pikv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 22:40   #10

Boat: currently boatless

Hi Damian,
while not having gone to boat works I have heard nothing but very good reviews about their service and prices. We know of several cruising couples who have gone there in up to 40 foot monos and catamarans and all of them have been very very happy with the result and prices. You are allowed to stay on the boat while it is in the yard. Handy to lots of places and Harbour Town has a great butcher and fruit shop to re-provision.

Greg and Sue
Sunshine
Lagoon 410 S2
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 03:59   #11

When I bought my boat in Sydney I got quotes from pretty much every yard between Sydney and Brisbane, and Boat Works came out by far the cheapest for haul and stand if you take their weekend and mid week specials. There are multiple onsite contractors who can do the work, or there is an onsite supply store for your paint and consumables at good prices if you want to do the work yourself. The location is a bit remote, but they have a courtesy car if you need to do a trip to the nearest supermarket or Bunnings etc.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti-fouling