Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2017, 22:05   #166

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: glassing plywood prior to hull installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Lets not get any more stupid about this.

If you have a choice between using two different products that will be adequate for the job, one costs 4 times as much and may kill you. which one should be used?

It is truly that simple.
Let's not get any more stupid about this.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 22:10   #167
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I quit reading this thread by about page 6. Just wanted to let my fellow marine professionals know that none of this is remotely new on this forum, dig a bit and you will find every single argument you have made in this thread stated (at great length) many many times on this forum by me. Don't waste your breath, it's like beating your head on a wall. Logic doesn't apply, doesn't matter that every pro yard goes about it the same (polyester to fix polyester). You can take a horse to water, etc etc...

For those who come here actually trying to learn something, my 2c would be to just note that the opinion of people who are actually currently professionally engaged in the marine trades is unanimous. I too give regular seminars on glass repairs, as well as having built and done major structural repairs to all sorts of boats. Just sick of arguing about it here with people who don't do this for a living.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 23:41   #168

That's a shame that the forum has exhausted you to such an extent

Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:30   #169
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I quit reading this thread by about page 6. Just wanted to let my fellow marine professionals know that none of this is remotely new on this forum, dig a bit and you will find every single argument you have made in this thread stated (at great length) many many times on this forum by me. Don't waste your breath, it's like beating your head on a wall. Logic doesn't apply, doesn't matter that every pro yard goes about it the same (polyester to fix polyester). You can take a horse to water, etc etc...

For those who come here actually trying to learn something, my 2c would be to just note that the opinion of people who are actually currently professionally engaged in the marine trades is unanimous. I too give regular seminars on glass repairs, as well as having built and done major structural repairs to all sorts of boats. Just sick of arguing about it here with people who don't do this for a living.

The thread is about glassing plywood not polyester to polyester. Would you use polyester or epoxy on plywood?
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:02   #170
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
The thread is about glassing plywood not polyester to polyester. Would you use polyester or epoxy on plywood?
For the Bayliner I just replaced the floor in, I applied 6 oz cloth over plywood with polyester resin. I offered the option of marine ply and epoxy, but the owner wasn't willing to pay the difference.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:01   #171
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sisters View Post
Are you a polyester resin salesman ?
I sell the materials I install. I make more money when I sell epoxy, because it is much more expensive.

So obviously financial gain is not a motivating factor for my selection of polyester over epoxy when appropriate.
Old 11-01-2017, 14:38   #172
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
For the Bayliner I just replaced the floor in, I applied 6 oz cloth over plywood with polyester resin. I offered the option of marine ply and epoxy, but the owner wasn't willing to pay the difference.

And your point?
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 18:57   #173
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
And your point?
The point I've been making all along. If polyester is adequate, it may be a better solution than epoxy.

Tags
hull, installation, plywood