Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2005, 07:41   #1

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft
Getting ready to go back in the water...

Good morning all.

Well, it's getting close to that time of year again.
Rocinante goes back in the water at the end of March. To date, the marina has handled everything for me, but since we are getting closer to truly becoming cruisers, I want to take this year to start doing my own work. Having said that, I have no idea where to start and was hoping to get some guidance.

For example one thing I've done each year is flush the water tanks to remove the antifreeze solution the marina uses to winterize the system. I fill the tanks with water and open the faucets to drain; fill the tanks with water and open the faucets to drain; fill the tanks with water and open the faucets to drain...

No way in hell this can be the right way of doing it, but I have no clue how else to go about it.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Carlos

SV Rocinante
Old 27-02-2005, 10:36   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
First, Welcome aboard!

One thing I could suggest is when you see an ole salt doing some work on his boat, stick your nose in and see what and how he's doing it. Old sailors love to talk. They are usually very friendly.

Working on and running a sailboat is a combination of trades. A Sailor for one, a rigger, mechanic, carpenter, body and fender man, painter, electrician, metal smith, mathematician, plumber, chemist, doctor/nurse, deckhand and a thinker (good common since). And, sleep is low on the priority list.

Did I forget anything, guys?

Also, you got to be able to hold yur liquor!

Fair Winds................................_/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2005, 17:11   #3

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Got an idea for you for next year when you winterize. Instead of using the pink stuff --

Run you tanks dry -- then disconnect the output side of your water pump. Clamp the output of a small air compressor to that. Just blow air through the lines. This will get all the water out of the lines and no pink stuff.

Then run about a cup of cheap vodka through the pump -- this protects that. Tastes better too

Then run air back through the lines to the tank with the tank drains open if you have them.

If not you have to be sure you've gotten all the water out of these lines as well. A small shop vac is the other alternative for sucking the water out of the tank.

Been doing it this way for a while and works just great. Also makes spring much easier as don't have to flush things out.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2005, 15:56   #4

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
I have not winterized my water tanks with "pink stuff" for 10 years. I don't like the taste in the water for the next four or five months. I remove the water line from each tank and let it drain into the bilge and using a vacuum cleaner that is reversable, blow the water through the lines. The only place that some water can't be left over the winter is in the pump. A little water in the tank or lines is of no consequence. The valves will self drain and the water in the tanks and hoses will expand harmessly.
Drain the hot water tank and you are done. All this takes less than a half hour.
In the spring, simply hook up the lines and fill the tanks and you are ready to go again.

Jim

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 17:44   #5

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft
Re: Getting ready to go back in the water...

Apologies for the LONG delayed reply, I fell off the face of the earth for a while and just found this old post.

That said, thank you delmarrey, Jon D & Jentine - appreciate the great advice!