Work is progressing - updating CF is not so much - LOL...
Running so hard we are forgetting to take photos.
Will post soon. We are days away from floating.
- Plug saildrive
hole - done
exhaust hole - done
anti-foul - done
bootstripe - done
- Sand and paint sides of boat - Pads after 2 years had done a number on the paint - done
- Relocate head - done
- Build head enclosure - done
- Build storage locker to starboard - done
- Reinforce autopilot
mount, sand, stain & varnish
tiller - done
- Relocate traveller controls - done
- Remove bimini
cover, get it stiched and reinstall - done
- Install dodger hardware
- Remount & seal compass - done
- Paint and install cockpit
steps - done
- Build bilge
floor and mount battery
tie downs - done
- Build engine box & companionway steps - done
- Seal throttle quadrant hole - done
- Install bilge pump
switch & engine panel cover - done
- Redo all companionway trim - done
- Paint V-berth - done
- Paint quarter berth - done
- Install cockpit hardware
, stern light mount etc. - done
- Disassemble, clean and lube 5 winches - done
- Remount and bed
coach roof clutches - done
- Install new bolts for stancions & make new spectra lifelines
- Soak, clean and prepare all halyards & reefing lines - done
Left to do
- Make port and starborard shelves - 80%
- Build galley - 75%
- Finish painting salon
- Cut salon trim, paint and install - 0%
- Rewire boat - 0%
- Install headliner
- Climb mast, inspect and install new windex - 0%
Rain has been killing us. Some days we get 2-3 hours work before we have to hide out. 2 more sunny days and I think we are there.
Mike has been doing general mechanical install - full time
Paulette has been a cabin parts
painting dynamo as well as anti-foul - full time
George is general labor and painted the sides, bootstripe and anti-foul - 90% available
Doug has been doing the engine - weekend mornings only
Hope to launch Monday. Fingers crossed.
Major "fluck" up. I bought a Chinese Parsun 5 HP engine in 2010 (It is a direct copy of the Yamaha 4BM(?)
Anyhoo. I delegated engine work to my buddy Doug - he's a great "shade tree" mechanic
. We borrowed an engine stand, serviced the plug, filter and oil
. Unfortunately we had not replaced the 2 year old fuel
Unbelievably it did start but ran like crap. Lots of black smoke and very poor power. The fuel
was actually green with mold
- Yes we are going fast and taking a few short cuts :-(
So we liberated some fresh gas and the engine smoothed right out. However when I shifted into gear
nothing happened - nada - zippo!
Turns out the linkage to the gearbox
(which is in the angle drive) failed. This was the end of a day and Doug and I started ripping into it. We dismounted the engine from the leg and the shift rod pulled out from the leg. We took the leg apart and the damn rod was failed through.
We also noticed two more cracks.
I have ordered parts
and they are coming - local Yamaha dealer doesn't have anyting in stock so no help there. Doug and I tried to manufacture a new rod and the lower clamp then failed! We bodged up another clamping method that didn't work too well so cut our losses and decided to wait for factory parts.
Good thing I had ordered the clamp parts from Yamaha as well.
The Parsun was 1/2 the price
of the Yamaha. The word on the street was "runs fine" but made from cheap Chinese materials (metal) - Well this is the price
I pay and I am not too big to admit it. It only lasted 2 years of use.
I suppose once all the Parsun parts are replaced with Yamaha parts it will be a decent motor
On the good news front a buddy noticed our struggles and offered to loan me a 3.5 Tohatsu long shaft for the launch - Yay! 3.5 won't move my boat against any kind of wind
but it will get us off and on the mooring
in a calm and that's ok for the short term.
Photos to come as soon as we can all catch our breath.