Still tedious at this point but making progress. I call this the destruction phase - take everything apart and sand and polish. Soon we will be in the construction phase...
Had help today so things were on a parallel path, divide and conquer - Rudder work, sanding and stainless polishing.
Paint hides all kinds of evil. I first sanded the bottom clear and found several past holes that were drilled to drain water
. I decided to grind this down an lay a strip of new glass.
The body had all kinds of pox. Strange little areas that I sanded and a crack would appear - looks like old repairs
. I still decided not to do a full rudder overhaul
. I ground these out and feathered them and only one had some water
behind it. Most of these areas only had some filler in them and based on the colors I went through some were pretty old repairs. I decided to spot these areas with glass also.
Next haul out
I am going to remove the skin and really see what's in there but this should be good for a couple of years (I hope) - better is the enemy of good.
Photo 1 - Poxy old repairs
Photo 2 - Old drill holes
Photo 3 - Bottom glass patch
Photo 4 - Poxy area patches
Photo 5 - Tiger George doing his usual day of stainless polishing