Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2008, 15:16   #1

Boat: samson c-mist 32
get the lead out

Getting ready to tackle the engine room, so it ready to welcome the new engine. The original builders poured lead in the engine bed slot. I'm guessing this was for vibration dampening for the horizontal 1 cilinder yanmar. Now I have to get it out. I've tryed attaching a couple pics of the situation. I can get a pry bar under and it seems loose on the under side, but it is molded in well on both sides. My only thought is to saw loose each side. Any other ideas would be welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0596.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	2372   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0597.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	2373  

emeraldsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 16:48   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Now I have to get it out.
Why? If it was poured in hot you won't be using brute force to get it out. Sawing the sides still leaves the bottom attached.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 19:17   #3

The new D2-40, or any other 4 cylinder engine won't fit without that space for the oil pan. The hull is cement, I think I can get enough leverage to pry the lead from the bottom if I can cut the sides lose.
Old 01-01-2008, 20:31   #4

Boat: Seabird Kayak :)
I would go with your idea to cut the lead on either side a bit in from the edge, then try levering without too much force. If it does not shift then keep cutting into smaller strips or blocks and see if you can remove it bit by bit. What were you going to use to cut the lead with ? If an electric tool is used it should not be spinning too fast as excessive heat from speed and friction may make the lead too soft and harder to cut. Keeping it cool with running water might help to keep it hard for cutting. Something that cuts aluminum may work on lead.
ribbony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 21:40   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
How about drilling a few holes into the top, screwing some big lag screws into it with some eyes attached. Then using a purchase, say 8:1 try lifting it using a brace across the companionway or maybe a homemade sawhorse to distribute the load across the deck. Use snatchblocks to run the line to a primary winch and you have ultimate control. Take your time and see how it is working and adapt as you go.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:28   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I'd be careful about the lifting--it is easy to use too much "mechanical advantage" and if the lead comes up it may take some glass with it. The old alternatives of saws and chisels may be necessary. If you do, remember that inhaling lead dust is not a good thing, you want to wear a respirator or good face mask while doing that, and then clean down the compartment.
If you can pull or pry it up (from the rear?) that certainly would be good.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:19   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'd be careful about the lifting--it is easy to use too much "mechanical advantage" and if the lead comes up it may take some glass with it.
Hot lead would be inside every imperfection in the glass. It's not going to slide away from the glass. It probably has embeded itself pretty well. This isn't going to lift out easy or clean.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:51   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Paul, I was thinking hot lead would also burn away the plastic resin and key itself in very intimately to the glass fibers themselves.

Still, one never knows.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:59   #9
Moderator Emeritus

My thought as well. Even if it didn't burn the variations in shape connected on three sides means it's wedged in good - just like they wanted when they did it. Refitting an engine not designed for the hole makes for difficult work. The less agressive approach may take longer but might leave less damage to repair.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:11   #10

Boat: Tom Colvin, Clipper Pinky, Spar length 56'
Electric chain saw is one of the easiest tools to use to cut lead. It clears the chips well which is a big problem when cutting lead. Kerosene is a good lube when hand cutting lead. Handsaw must be a 'RIP' tooth and not a 'crosscut' tooth when cutting lead, agian to clear the soft chips and avoid jamming. Skill saw with carbide blade will do fairly well but blades tend to stick/jam. Some beeswax or tallow on the skill saw blade will help prevent sticking/jamming and not be to messy.

Cutting several very deep grooves near edges of block will allow some shrinkage and help 'unjam' the block from the hull. Drilling holes and screwing in lifting eyes is easy and helpful, although prying is probably best to get the block moving initially.

One wild and very dangerous possibility is to use hydraulic pressure...... drill centered hole all the way through block and fill with oil and place a close slip fit rod in the hole on top of the oil and hit it with a maul. Hydraulic high pressure shock may either break the block loose or it may blow a hole in the hull.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:53   #11

the hull is cement

Guys, the original poster in his 2nd post in this thread said the hull is cement, seems like you are focusing on glass. Does that change anything in your advice?
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:29   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Guys, the original poster in his 2nd post in this thread said the hull is cement, seems like you are focusing on glass. Does that change anything in your advice?
No because the lead isn't going to act much different because it was poured in place. A concrete surface would have almost the same properties. It's also more brittle and a pry bar may yield more on the concrete than on the lead. Anything that attempts to pry or lift it when it's attached on the bottom and 2 sides is prone to potential problems. Cutting it at least to remove the attachment from 3 simultaneous sides is going to let it come out cleaner.

If it was coming out easy it would already be loose from the vibration of the engine that used to be there.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:57   #13

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
How about a torch, melting and dipping out?

Also, you don't have to get every bit free from the hull. You can just cut a hole large enough to accommodate the new engine.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:05   #14

Thanks for all the advice and thoughts. The cement has a layer of paint, also I am thinking that years of oily grime may have worked under the slab of lead. I'll try cutting the sides and prying from the bottom first. I like the electric chain saw idea! Will post results later today.
Old 02-01-2008, 15:24   #15
Moderator Emeritus

We want after pictures too! Good luck.