Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2012, 08:30   #1

Boat: Bowman 46
Genoa Track bedding

Folks,

My Genoa tracks are punched from SS flat stock and through bolted to the deck with a spacer that looks like Marelon or some other 1970's composite. The Marelon, (or what ever), is falling apart and can't be reused. Does anyone have an idea about a suitable replacement spacer material?

Bowman Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 09:08   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Genoa Track bedding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowman Sailor View Post
Folks,

My Genoa tracks are punched from SS flat stock and through bolted to the deck with a spacer that looks like Marelon or some other 1970's composite. The Marelon, (or what ever), is falling apart and can't be reused. Does anyone have an idea about a suitable replacement spacer material?

Black acetate is the best plastic for external marine use. But why not just install a conventional T-track?
Old 15-03-2012, 09:48   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Islander 28

I have used Delrin of the appropriate thickness and used the SS "track" clamped to Delrin "spacer" to pilot the holes. Both times that I needed to do this, "replacement" T Track holes did not line up and would have required filling and re-drilling. Using the existing holes, I rebed with Sikaflex 291, making sure that the through holes in the deck were properly sealed and then left a turn on the fasteners until the stuff cured. Then, went back and tightened them up.
Assuming that you are not in a remote area, (Oh no mon, we got none a dat on de island, gonna take 2 weeks ) you should be able to find a local specialty plastics supplier to cut you the material of the proper thickness and width up to 8 feet long.
Just be sure that you de-burr and smooth the faces of the Delrin where the car slides on the track. A fresh smooth mill file should do the trick.
DrivinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 10:56   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Teak worked for 40 years on my boat. Swapped out for Aluminum track only because the line controlled cars didn't work on the stainless track. The stainless track was just enough thicker that the cars bound up.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Genoa