Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2018, 03:50   #1

Boat: Hunter 36
GENERATOR Portable vs Installed

On our 36' Hunter, we are contemplating having a generator on board to run our AC. We are weekenders now and take maybe 2 weekly trips a year. My questions are, if anyone has advice to offer, is what is the rough estimate to have a genset installed in the port side lazerette as opposed to buying a portable propane generator that we could have aboard for such trips when we are moored. Thank you in advance
DiggerOnChspk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 04:12   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: GENERATOR Portable vs Installed

https://www.fixr.com › Comparison Guides › Electrical And Wiring
Portable vs Standby Generator - Pros, Cons, Comparisons and Costs

Apr 24, 2017 - Comparison Guides · Electrical And Wiring; Portable vs Standby Generator ... Portable generators have little in the way of installation. Simply ...Missing: boat ‎|

Using a generator on board [Archive] - Yachting and Boating World Forums

benefit of built in generator? [Archive] - Yachting and Boating World Forums
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 05:13   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

It cost me around $6500 to diy buy/install my diesel generator 2.5 years ago. Meanwhile a Honda is like $1000-1200
Old 28-11-2018, 05:38   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

If you want/need a air conditioner larger than the 5000 BTU window air conditioners then the decision has already been made for you you need an install genset for larger air conditioning units.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 06:42   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

With regard to SV Third Day's comment, keep in mind that an installed generator is a "use it or loose it" proposition, rather than a "waste not, want not". A generator that sits idle for weeks or months will deteriorate and will not be reliable when wanted/needed. BTDT....

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 06:59   #6

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

To add to the previous, it's not an either-or decision. On our previous boat, we ran a 16k BTU A/C off a portable Honda 2000 quite reliably.

Another consideration is weight - putting a big genset off-center in a 35 ft boat is problematic whereas a portable is of trivial concern.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 08:14   #7

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
If you want/need a air conditioner larger than the 5000 BTU window air conditioners then the decision has already been made for you you need an install genset for larger air conditioning units.
That used to be true but today, not necessarily. My boat has a built-in 7KW diesel generator, but I use a portable generator to run my main 16K BTU A/C (including the associated water pump) while at anchor or whenever the wife demands it. I use a Westinghouse iGen2500, which I bought after mountains of research and direct comparison with the Honda Eu2200i. In the end the Westinghouse won out because it has 400 watts more run power (2200 vs. 1800) and also it was half the price. You do hear it bog down when the compressor kicks in, but only for a second and then it gets back up to speed.

The old "gold standard" Honda Eu2000i would not run a large A/C unit without a soft start system wired in, which I did not want to do. That Eu2000i has subsequently been replaced by the Eu2200i, but even that only has a run wattage of 1800 which is why I went with the Westinghouse.

I'd strongly recommend getting the iGen2500 and seeing if it will work for you. You could also get a portable dual-hose AC unit as well, something like 12K BTU, that would be a lower power draw and starting surge than a 16K BTU installed unit. I have one of those as well just in case I don't want to run the main installed units, Whynter Elite ARC-122DS, and it works great.

Another thing I like about having the portable gen is when it comes to emergency dewatering. I bought two 3700GPH 115VAC-powered dewatering pumps to supplement the installed 12V bilge pump if it ever needed.
Rdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 08:18   #8

Boat: Beneteau 343

I just bought a Generac 3000 which I hope to drive my AC. It is same price as Honda 2200 but has more output. It is a bit larger and heavier as well. I have yet to use it on the boat but I am hoping for good things.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 08:19   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
GENERATOR Portable vs Installed

My Honda EU 2000i is happiest with loads that don’t exceed 8 amps at 120 VAC by much, it will go higher, but I hate hearing it scream.
I’m sure others don’t either, for bigger loads, I’ll crank the Nexgen.

For occasional use only a couple of times a year in a 36’ Boat, I’d definitely go with a portable.

My Honda will run our fwd stateroom 6 KW Ac and pump and pull about 6 amps, which keeps it at a low RPM.
I ran it for 10 hours last night, cause the temp was in the low 40’s
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 08:31   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to ekampel

I used 2 honda 2000s connected in parallel to run our AC unit. They are small, portable, light and just connect with a little wire to run in parallel for 4000 total.
ekampel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 08:45   #11

Boat: Scout 30

We run a 13.5K roof unit on our RV with a Honda 2000. The AC came with the second capacitor already installed. However, I think I would install the EasyStart 364 if we install air on our boat.

https://www.coastalclimatecontrol.co...egory=25823691
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 08:48   #12

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

There are certain ways, such as "soft-start" devices, to allow a Honda 2000 to run a fairly large A/C and/or heat pump unit. For us, the Honda is also a belt-and-suspenders way to charge the batteries in the event of some other failure; a means to run power tools on deck instead of via inverter; and a means to bring power to remote communities in order to have a little light and music. The only thing I wish is that there was a diesel, luggable version of the Honda so we could carry one less fuel.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 08:49   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I like your idea of propane fuel for an infrequently used generator. No gummed up carbs to deal with. There is a good chance it will actually start when you need it.

Many years ago I wanted to run a 5000 btu ac with a Honda 2000i, it wouldn’t start until I installed a hard start Capacitor. I understand that new AC units require a much smaller starting load. Check the starting load of your AC to determine how big a generator you need.
Old 28-11-2018, 08:54   #14

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
With regard to SV Third Day's comment, keep in mind that an installed generator is a "use it or loose it" proposition, rather than a "waste not, want not". A generator that sits idle for weeks or months will deteriorate and will not be reliable when wanted/needed. BTDT....

FWIW...
You didn't say what deteriorated on your system and whether it's gas, propane or diesel, but I gotta disagree that a (diesel) generator can't sit idle for protracted periods. We now cruise for 6 months of the year. I've not heard from other boaters about problems letting their generator sit over the winter and that certainly hasn't been our experience either. Our 20+ year old 9 kw Kohler diesel genset sits idle 6 months each winter and fires right up every spring. Been doing so for 12 of the 18 yrs we've owned the boat. It's sat for over a year a couple times and started just like it had been run yesterday.

I can't speak about gasoline or propane gensets other than to say that my 15 kw Kohler automatic whole house propane generator has an automatic function that starts and runs the engine for 12 minutes once a week - doesn't run the genset, just the engine. Maybe that's needed to keep the carb clean even tho' propane units are generally assumed to be immune from carb gunk...
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 09:24   #15
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggerOnChspk View Post
On our 36' Hunter, we are contemplating having a generator on board to run our AC. We are weekenders now and take maybe 2 weekly trips a year. My questions are, if anyone has advice to offer, is what is the rough estimate to have a genset installed in the port side lazerette as opposed to buying a portable propane generator that we could have aboard for such trips when we are moored. Thank you in advance
My boat has a 16000 BTU Marine Air Systems H/C unit. I pulled the 8kW Onan generator (500 lbs.) out of the boat and sold it. Please don't run your generator if your in an anchorage with me.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator