Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2018, 22:17   #31

Re: GENERATOR Portable vs Installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
No problem. We'll all suffer high humidity and sweltering heat so you can enjoy your tranquility among a crowded anchorage full of people, outboards, jet skis, etc...
: thumb:
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 07:31   #32

My favorite topic

Details on my present Generator
Year built 2002
Kohler 5 E marine , water cooled with heat exchanger
GAS
Hours 225
Installed in engine room along side boats engine

REPAIR OR REPLACE ???
I often start generator too keep parts moving making coffee at sea, never sleeping aboard on hook requiring generator for A/C
When I do stay out I rent transient slip using dockside for A/C
Few months ago I was running generator at marina , dockside not plugged in
Internal wiring of generator motor started too smoke
Looked like boat was on fire . NO flames , huge cloud of black smoke
Able too shut down , NO damage too boat except smoke & burning wire smell

Had generator repair shop go thru . FINDINGS
Stator grounding , I was lucky I closed in time . Old engine , old technology , costly too rebuild might as well purchase new , except new requires costly fabrication in engine room too install , plus boats engine has too be removed too get generator out then install .
Generator shop $ 14 thousand >>> WOW WOW WOW holy cow , that's an expensive cup of coffee .
Started too search alternative .
Making me crazy this large expensive generator not working . Better if it was removed then having a non working generator .
Got too have my coffee , I installed a large power inverter running direct off battery . Makes coffee & runs small appliances ,
Many on this site point out the issues with portable generators on a boat , SAFETY A CONCERN
A old generator in engine room level with cabin is also a danger

Honda has great reviews , costly
Harbor Freight Predator , portable generator 3500 , decent reviews Has the 30 amp plug . Priced reasonable , Harbor Freight not best quality but if you purchase service contract ( not costly ) if anything happens too generator they will swap , not repair , ONE TIME
My wife would never stay on hook but I am planning a weeks voyage with fishing buddy and wanted a generator just in case . When done take home .
Al B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 08:04   #33

Very interesting topic. Thanks
David Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:49   #34

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

I’d say that unless you are a permanent cruiser away from marinas and ports at most times, diesel gensets makes little sense. If you need a generator twice a year or so, get the small propane or gas generator ON BOARD - never never never in any compartment for that trip only and once back remove it off board.

I have a marine Yanmar based 7KW diesel generator originally installed above the main engine, in a 45’ sailing cruiser. it has some issues for the last 3 years and I’m not sure if I really want to repair it at all unless cutting the cord (literally) for a long cruise. If I could, I would actually be happy to remove this beast completely.
DeValency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:40   #35

Boat: Bristol 45.5

If you don't need if for an AC find about installing a powerful
inverter and alternator instead. ....less machinery - less servicable stuff - more time for the fun part.
charly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:57   #36

Boat: Hans Christian 38 MkII

Can I put a Honda eu2000 and a honda eu1000 in parrallel to come up with 3000w?
searenity38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:04   #37

Boat: Coronet Oceanfarer30

If you want to run ac generators in parallel they need to be synchronized.
This will need additional equipment like a synchro scope and is rather specialized. Its honestly not worth the hassle as it will need to be done every time you start up.
A better suggestion is selling what you have before it gets damaged and look at buying a bigger generator.
Ironman162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:08   #38

Send a message via Skype™ to ekampel

You can run 2 1000s in parallel or 2 2000s in parallel. It is just a simple cable connecting the 2. Not sure about joining a 1000 and 2000 together.

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...or/p62685.html
ekampel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 16:14   #39

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggerOnChspk View Post
On our 36' Hunter, we are contemplating having a generator on board to run our AC. We are weekenders now and take maybe 2 weekly trips a year. My questions are, if anyone has advice to offer, is what is the rough estimate to have a genset installed in the port side lazerette as opposed to buying a portable propane generator that we could have aboard for such trips when we are moored. Thank you in advance
I don't know the size (BTU) of your air conditioner but your vessel doesn't need much over 8,000 which I think can be run by a Honda 2000.

What your cruising neighbors will think about your noise is another matter.
Old 03-12-2018, 18:23   #40

Boat: Scout 30

Every time these Honda threads come up the naysayers make it seem as though you can only anchor next to other boats. Not so. We normally try to gunkhole in secluded areas where we don't have to worry about neighbors.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 14:16   #41

Boat: 1983 Lancer 44' Motorsailer

I have a Webasto 16,000 btu unit powered by a Honda 2000i through an EasyStart 364.

https://www.microair.net/collections...nt=30176048267

I like that I can use the genny elsewhere besides the boat.

The genny will not power the a/c on ecorun setting, so will only run about 5-6 hours on a tank of gas so you would have to refill it during the night. Fortunately, the Honda has a fuel pump (instead of gravity-fed like most), so I also bought a gas cap for the genny that allows me to connect it to an external outboard motor tank. The only downside is that now I have two external gas tanks to stow and potentially leak.
Old 16-12-2018, 17:14   #42

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Well, I must admit I didn’t consider the portability advantage of a stand-alone gas genset. Sailing mostly along New England a/c wasn’t that necessary until the last few years’ global warming impact started boiling us here, under deck in August. Yet, throwing $10K for a new diesel genset and a/c sounded less attractive to me and many friends here.

But can agree that a 2Kw Honda at 1/5 of the diesel gen cost would make much more sense, if the generator is well mounted only on the deck (in my case, the cruising boat is a CC 44’ with a nice aft deck).

Can’t wait for the summer!

QUOTE=CapnCrunch;2782641]I have a Webasto 16,000 btu unit powered by a Honda 2000i through an EasyStart 364.

https://www.microair.net/collections...nt=30176048267

I like that I can use the genny elsewhere besides the boat.

The genny will not power the a/c on ecorun setting, so will only run about 5-6 hours on a tank of gas so you would have to refill it during the night. Fortunately, the Honda has a fuel pump (instead of gravity-fed like most), so I also bought a gas cap for the genny that allows me to connect it to an external outboard motor tank. The only downside is that now I have two external gas tanks to stow and potentially leak.[/QUOTE]
DeValency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 17:53   #43

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Dometic makes a marine A/C that can be run off a 2000 honda portable genny. Go with those two. Plus you can take the portable home with you to run the fridge at home when the power goes out.

I have friends who install diesels gen sets in their vessels. When aboard, I wake up in the middle of the night when the wind dies - the smell makes me feel sick, like I am sleeping on a bench at the Port Authority Bus Terminal.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 18:10   #44

Boat: Fantasia 35

Another option would be to use the Honda on propane. These people sell a conversion kit - Products | Hutch Mountain
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 18:41   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

No real advantage to propane, plus it reduces output, and burns twice as much volume wise
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator