Well I've been hard at it for the past 3 weeks and the repower is basically wrapped up!
Working around my day job I was probaly able to put about 5 hours a day 4 (sometimes 5) days a week into this project
. I hired one guy to help with setting the new engine in and alignment he did about 5 hours total. Also hired a diver to take off the max prop and help remove/replace the shaft. Other than that it was all me.
$2600 Universal M25XPB, Used under 400 hours
$ 400 Heat Exchanger Service
and new Water
$ 500 New Exhaust System
$ 100 Misc small engine parts
(temp sender, exhaust gasket
$ 630 New 1" Shaft under 48", Coupling, Face Fitting etc.
$ 300 Diver fee, remove, replace Max Prop, help remove replace shaft
$ 420 Slip Fee for a months use. (I'm normally on a mooring)
$ 500 new stuffing box, misc hardware
, tools etc.
$5450 Approximate cost for my repower.
While I had the engine out I also changed over the wiring from the batteries to the DC Panel. Oringial 12V system was set up for 3 banks and had some other "weirdness" that I couldn't ever wrap my head
around that involved two "1,2,B " switches and another "On/Off" switch. The new setup is just one "1,2,B" switch setup as a "Use Switch" as described by one of the Maine
Sail postings. Common ground buss bar added, as well as buss bars for both the main battery
and the aux battery
I reused quite a bit of the large guage cable I already had. But still put about $500 into that project
. 3 large amp buss bars, a couple of new cables
and several lug sizes had to be changed.
All in all it has been quite a bit of a challenge but I can defienitly say I learned a bit form it. Can't really say how happy I was when everything was basically done and I was able to fire off the engine for the first time.
The rest of the week will be spent finishing up installing a fuel
return line and getting the boat picked up and ready to go back to the mooring