Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2011, 07:17   #1

Gelcoat Repair - What to Use ?

I need to repair some fairly large (4"x12") patches of gelcoat. I tried using Evercoat Gel-Kote but it appears to be unusable - as soon as I add the hardener it turns into a rubbery mass. Yesterday the excuse I got was that it was too hot, so I tried it today with temps in the 70s and one drop of hardener to 2 oz of gelcoat got me a ping-pong ball sized rubbery mess before I even got done mixing it - in about 15 seconds. They claim 10 minute working time; I'm not even getting a few seconds......

So. What to use? The areas in question are not visible, so a perfect shiny finish is not needed. What I need is something to protect the fiberglass. I need something I can brush on if possible.
CptDondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 07:24   #2

Boat: Bavaria 47
Re: Gelcoat repair - what to use?

I assume the stuff you used is some form of get coat repair kit. Why not just use standard gel coat resin?
Old 28-08-2011, 07:28   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

It was probably too old and way past its "shelf life." Go to a fiberglass supply house and get a pint or quart of real polyester gelcoat. Make sure it has "wax" already in it. Then get a fresh little squeeze bottle of MEKP.
- - Repairing gelcoat is an art form and unless you are very good or lucky it might be best to hire an experienced professional to do it for you. Color matching and blending the new into the old is not easy.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 07:48   #4

This is what I was trying to use....

Evercoat

You may be right - either too old or maybe sat on a dock or truck and got way too hot or something...

I'm not too worried about looks as the patched areas are not visible so this is a good learning experience for me. I'd just like to get it done.
Old 28-08-2011, 08:16   #5

get in touch with ever coat and ask why this is happening. i got a quart can from my supply guy with the hardener and did it in 75 degree weather with problems. mixed enough for 2 spots and took about 10 mins on each spot to fill, smooth out and cover with cellophane
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 11:05   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Gelcoat Repair - What to Use ?

I think you are making extra work for yourself. The gel coat doesn't really protect the fiberglass, its purely cosmetic. If the area is not visible, it is not likely to be taking any hard abuse and can be left alone. At most, if you wish some additional peace of mind, apply a coat of paint to the area. Messing about with gel coat can truly be a messy job.

My 2 cents,

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 12:18   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

I have used Plastic Padding Gelcoat filler with some success (albeit smaller jobs than yours - chips and dings).

Gelcoat Filler - Caley Marine Online

Sands and then polishes up V. nicely - and sets in fresh air
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 12:35   #8

Boat: Manta 40 catamaran

We had the exact same experience a couple of months ago with some West Marine brand resin. Wasted several hours......we bought a can - looked brand new and shiny. Mid-70's temp outside. One drop of hardener in 2 oz of resin almost instantly made a ball in the cup. Like, in 10 seconds, so this is not a "workability" issue. Took it back to West Marine - they gave us a new can....but they looked at us like "they don't know what they're doing". The new can did the same thing. This time - we had the West Marine employee put 1 drop of hardener - in the ENTRIE can. The ONE DROP of hardener made a white rubber ball in the entire can!!! So there was definitely something wrong with the formula - wonder if West Marine and West System really are the same product and we got the same, bad batch??

But a really good solution - was not to use gel coat at all....we ended up using this - Elmers E765 Fiberglass Epoxy

It was super easy to use - sanded wonderfully. I routed out some cracks and bad spots using a Dremmel - applied the Elmers - two coats ended up giving me a beautiful, smooth surface. I was going to paint with some left-over white paint we had (two part acrylic urethane car paint) but the color was off. I ended up using simple Rustoleum satin (so it wasn't too shiny!!) and I can't hardly find the repair and I know where to look! Get the Elmers at Lowe's Home Improvement or similar store.
karenmccraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 14:21   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep. I would try gelcoat too. Maybe a bigger repair can be done in parts?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 14:31   #10

if not visible just epoxy it and paint it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 18:57   #11

I got email back from Evercoat. Seems they had a run of defective gelcoat. So now that I know I can get it fixed....
Old 09-09-2011, 05:45   #12

After going through all this I have opted for prevention rather than cure and bought a rigid sprung bow protector off e bay for the same price as a gelcoat repair kit. It is the best thing I have bought and looks better than the hull.
stuart 1965 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gelcoat