Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2007, 19:37   #1
R&B

Boat: 39 Privilege catamaran
Gelcoat or paint

We knew that the cat we bought needed TLC.....The worst cosmetic problem I have is that the previous owner did "somthing" to the port outer hull......It appears to be painted (yes just that side)..we have determined that there are no core issues...but the job he did it just the worst...we have severe allegatoring in several spots...and it does not appears as if he did any type of priming....just slapped on god knows what type paint.....My thought is that since 3/4 of the boat is gelcoat and in ok condition should I do the repaint with gelcoat or a real marine paint...I would like your thoughts....Thanks.....
R&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 19:54   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Do you intend to paint the entire boat, or just that side?
If just that side, what is wrong with cutting the paint back to the gelcoat and seeing what conditionit is in. If it is not damaged, you may get away with a good cut and polish. Gelcoat is quite thick and will take a good cut and polish.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 20:18   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Ideally you would like to re-gelcoat. The downside is that the new gelcoat will look better than the old gelcoat. It will be tougher and last longer than paint. It will also be more expensive and you need to find a good qualified craftsman to apply it.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 20:53   #4
R&B

Thats theproblem I dont think there is any gelcoat under the crappy paint job....as a matter of fact I can see a line were the gelcoat appears to end. and the paint begins....I am hoping not to repaint the entire boat...I believe that the rest the gelcoat can be brought back to life....But many people keep telling me that paint now is very good and will last like gelcoat...I just dont buy that yet.....I kind of personally feel that since this is THE boat for us I should invest in the gelcoat....but since I have recieved great advice from this forum I thought I would put it out to you all.....Thanks
Old 16-01-2007, 22:17   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Gelcoat last's only because of it's thickness and that you keep cutting the sun damaged surface away as it fades. Paint will maintain a gloss for a much longer time and if it is well looked after, can easily last as long and look great. But ultimately paint is very thin and will damage far easier. The result is there is not enough to cut back to bring new paint to the surface.
You are going to have an issue with colour matching no matter what you use. But a really good paint guy maybe able to match the hull colour with paint and some tints. Gelcoat is not so easy, if even possible at all to get a colour match.
Personaly, I would repaint. But maybe wait till I could afford to repaint the entire hull.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 23:02   #6

Boat: Hartley 32 RORC; Vixen
Hull Painting

2 pack paints, polyurethane and the like, are very good, and with minimal ongoing maintenance required.

Be careful of matching a paint to the faded gelcoat as the gelcoat will continue to fade, (as will the paint once in the elements), but at different rates and so a difference in colours will occur.

Should you re-paint the entire boat?? - only you will be able to properly answer this question.

Fair winds

Steve
Steve Kidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 00:10   #7

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Let's first assume that you do not have any blisters. I would suppose then that there was some scraches to the hull and no structure damage. How long are you going to keep the boat?

What could be done on the below water line part is a good and thick water barrier applied and replaced every 5 years.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 00:19   #8

I would paint the whole boat. Especially since you feel this is THE boat. Use a good quality 2 pack paint, it will look good for years.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 01:42   #9

All the answers aside to the question,"Why would a part of the hull have gel coate and another have paint in the first place?"Or is that a common thing?Very curious am I.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 02:16   #10

Boat: Gib'Sea, 422, 42 ft, Erato
Send a message via Yahoo to skipperaris Send a message via Skype™ to skipperaris
perhaps you should do all of it

I have the same issue, in my case because of deep scores into the original gelcoat. Like you I was also told that modern paints are just as good and much cheaper than a re-gelcoat. About half the price!

The reason seems to be that once paint is sprayed on, the job is done. Spayed gelcoat gives a rough finish which then needs cutting back and polishing. A lot of work!

I have opted for the gelcoat with the logic that any weathering or small blemishes in the years to come can be treated by cutting back again. If you use paint you would have to respray the damaged area and the chances of matching the 'new' paint to the 'old' are rather slim.

This is why I think that whatever you do you should do it to the whole boat.

skipperaris

web site
skipperaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 04:11   #11

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Often overlook on gelcoat...

Often overlook on gelcoat is that once you get it looking good you have to keep the maintenance up..... a lot. Because of not using a mold this time you have to sand it to shine, thereby opening up all the small pores. If you don't wax every couple of months, stains, dirt, and what not begin to find there way into the surface making it look aged much sooner than it's time.
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 04:36   #12

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
I've alway's used recoatable urethanes to paint with, at the moment from Ameron Coating's, but before that a brand with big mining equipment on it.

We have seen this stand up well on boat's for 10 year's +, and when buffed, they look like new.

Unlike a lot of poly urethanes, urethanes are cheaper, seem softer , so resist chipping, can be buffed easily and are easily recoatable, and easy to match the colour's .

Have done a few boat extension's where the add on could not be picked out from the original.

Need I say that paint is much lighter than gelcoat, not that i'm saying to sand back what you have.

Dave.
Old 17-01-2007, 05:28   #13

Boat: Gib'Sea, 422, 42 ft, Erato
Send a message via Yahoo to skipperaris Send a message via Skype™ to skipperaris
Thank you DKAL You've made my day...:-(
Oh well for this time round I am committed.
If your gloomy prediction turns out true in my case, next time it will be paint.
What is the brand with big mining equiment on it CAT MAN DO ?
If you do not want to publicly advertise it could you please email me?

skipperaris

web site
skipperaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 05:55   #14

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
skipperaris, unless you've already added the gelcoat to the topsides you haven't lost anything. I went through this process 4 years ago with much research. I was considering then to regell.But was convinced by every professional yard person, pain person and gell person I talked to. While the gell people wouldn't say to paint, they did agree the maintenance was more when the gell was applied outside a mold
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 10:05   #15
R&B

Thanks everyone Lynx the answer to your question is that this is the boat I currently plan to be buried in...(unless of course I hit the lotto) This is why I was leaning toward the more expensive job gelcoat.....but I am now in the fact finding stage....Mudnut Thats my question I wish I could hunt down the original owner and ask him that.......but I agree with you but keep getting advise from the people in my marina about marine paint......The bottom line is that this is our home and she will be taking care of us for a long time to come (I hope).....I feel I need to go the extra mile....Dave I have only owned boats that had gelcoat, so I am not familiar with up keep on a painted boat is it that much less?.....Gang thanks again, any futher thoughts would be appreciated....

Tags
gelcoat