Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2011, 12:57   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Gelcoat on Expoy

I had a small spot on my cabin that was cracked and soft. The good news is that when I ground it out it was just a void between the fiberglass and the gelcoat and not a core problem. So I filled in the spot with thickened expoy with the plan to cover with some gelcoat.

So today while doing some other stuff I got the gelcoat kit out and being me read the directions. Right in the directions it says that the gelcoat sticks poorly to expoy. So what gives? Is this true and if so what do you coat the expoy with prior?

Or is it BS and the gelcoat will stick to the expoy without issue.

I'm talking about a 1" square spot.
Old 26-07-2011, 13:00   #2

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design
My understanding is epoxy will stick to polyester but not the reverse. Gel coat is polyester.
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 13:05   #3

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: gelcoat on expoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
My understanding is epoxy will stick to polyester but not the reverse. Gel coat is polyester.
Same rule of thumb I always heard...WEST guys say you can gel coat to epoxy...go to their website and read up on how they claim it can be done...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 13:08   #4

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
That is true.. should use polyester or vinyl-ester on your repairs

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 13:31   #5

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I had a small spot on my cabin that was cracked and soft. The good news is that when I ground it out it was just a void between the fiberglass and the gelcoat and not a core problem. So I filled in the spot with thickened expoy with the plan to cover with some gelcoat.

So today while doing some other stuff I got the gelcoat kit out and being me read the directions. Right in the directions it says that the gelcoat sticks poorly to expoy. So what gives? Is this true and if so what do you coat the expoy with prior?

Or is it BS and the gelcoat will stick to the expoy without issue.

I'm talking about a 1" square spot.
Sounds to me you are doing a cosmetic repair on a very small area. Now the apoxy is in place already, salvage the situation by sanding the spot to provide a "key" so that the gelcoat will stick. Keep in mind for future reference, gelcoat on apoxy not good particularly in structural situations.
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 13:35   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm talking purely a cosmetic thing here. All I want to do is blend what right now looks like a flesh wound and keep the sun from beating it.
Old 26-07-2011, 14:05   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Ron Moore of Moore sailboats helped me with that problem one time. He told me to put vinylester resin over the epoxy and then the polyester...worked!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 15:16   #8

Re: Gelcoat on Expoy

If you do a search on this in the archives Gordmay had an article on this subjuct titled, Will gelcoat adhere to epoxy. Was very interesting.
Greg
ozskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 15:20   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

On small cosmetic spots, it isn't a big issue. Large areas will pop eventually. As mentioned above, sand it to rough the substrate, then gel, feathering the edge to the old gel.
Old 26-07-2011, 15:21   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

West Systems says it should adhere very well. Of course you have to wash off any amine blush and then rough up the epoxy with sandpaper after removing the amine blush.

Quote:
It is not often used as a post-production finish coating, but it can be applied over epoxy and is useful in some repair situations. Refer to Fiberglass Boat Repair and Maintenance, published by Gougeon Brothers, for detailed information on patching gelcoat over an epoxy repair.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 21:45   #11
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I've tried and it won't stick. Amine in the epoxy keeps the gel from curing properly.545 works for a tie coat. So does vinylester resin.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 22:28   #12
Marine Service Provider

It will work perfectly.We do it every day.Just roughen the epoxy area with a piece of production paper , wipe with acetone and apply gelcoat.
123 and bob's your uncle !
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 23:08   #13

I also have done it with no problemm but I dont know uncle bob
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 23:11   #14

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Mine looked fine for 5 years, but the gelcoat is now starting to crack and pop off.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 05:47   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

"Polyester over epoxy" ~ by Jeff Wright
“... gelcoat applied over properly prepared WEST SYSTEM epoxy has a great track record ...”
See ➥ WEST SYSTEM | Projects | Fiberglass Boat Repair and Restoration - Polyester over epoxy
Or ➥ http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/...2Polyester.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
West Systems says it should adhere very well. Of course you have to wash off any amine blush and then rough up the epoxy with sandpaper after removing the amine blush.
Right.
A simple wash with clear water removes amine blush. No soap, no solvents. Then sand that washed surface with 80 grit paper, to provide the gelcoat with sufficient key so it won't run. Be sure to use non-air inhibited gelcoat that has a paraffin wax added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskip View Post
If you do a search on this in the archives Gordmay had an article on this subjuct titled, Will gelcoat adhere to epoxy. Was very interesting.
Greg
Here ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...poxy-5794.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gelcoat