Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2013, 14:07   #1
Senior Cruiser
 
unbusted67's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Islesboro, ME
Boat: Looking for a new boat
Posts: 2,196
Images: 24
Gel Coat Color Match

Has anyone used a company like Spectrum Color, Mini Craft or Fibre Glast to color match gel coat for them? Non of the above companies nor any I have searched seem to have CAL boats in their database for color matching.

Mini Craft offers a color matching service where you mail a sample of chipped gel coat to them and they run it through their computer and send you the prematched gel coat. Has anyone used this service or one like it? Is it accurate at all?
__________________

__________________
__________________________________________
Unbusted67 or just Ben
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 16:39   #2
Marine Service Provider
 
fkittson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Port Credit Ontario, Canada
Boat: 1978 Alberg 30
Posts: 212
We have company in Toronto that does colour matching with a computer colour scanner. You have to buy a minimum quantity of gel coat due to the small quantity of pigment colours. Approximately 2-4 Pounds. They were able to match 33 year old faded gel coat that was wet sanded and polished. It cost about $200 CAD for the first batch with the computer fee, after that you just pay for the gel coat
__________________

__________________
fkittson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 18:12   #3
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: gel coat color match

Machines can't match like a person. Sometimes on very difficult colors with large batches we pay for a machine to get it close and then dial it in perfect. But for shades of white most people can match better if taught the right tricks. We use GCP when we go that route, but of course they're only two blocks away.
Neither a chip nor a database will allow a proper match. You must match on the surface in question, and a little square footage is required.
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 18:24   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
unbusted67's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Islesboro, ME
Boat: Looking for a new boat
Posts: 2,196
Images: 24
Re: gel coat color match

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Machines can't match like a person. Sometimes on very difficult colors with large batches we pay for a machine to get it close and then dial it in perfect. But for shades of white most people can match better if taught the right tricks. We use GCP when we go that route, but of course they're only two blocks away.
Neither a chip nor a database will allow a proper match. You must match on the surface in question, and a little square footage is required.
What is GCP? Would you recommend using the computer method as a base and then adjusting with pigment as you go?
__________________
__________________________________________
Unbusted67 or just Ben
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 18:25   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
unbusted67's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Islesboro, ME
Boat: Looking for a new boat
Posts: 2,196
Images: 24
Re: gel coat color match

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkittson View Post
We have company in Toronto that does colour matching with a computer colour scanner. You have to buy a minimum quantity of gel coat due to the small quantity of pigment colours. Approximately 2-4 Pounds. They were able to match 33 year old faded gel coat that was wet sanded and polished. It cost about $200 CAD for the first batch with the computer fee, after that you just pay for the gel coat
What is the name of the Company?
__________________
__________________________________________
Unbusted67 or just Ben
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 18:34   #6
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: gel coat color match

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
What is GCP? Would you recommend using the computer method as a base and then adjusting with pigment as you go?

Gel-Coat Products | Home
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 18:36   #7
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: gel coat color match

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
What is GCP? Would you recommend using the computer method as a base and then adjusting with pigment as you go?


Maybe for a non white color and an inexperienced matcher. You may be able to pay a local craftsman for a dead match. If its a shade of white and you're not color blind, do it yourself.
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 21:27   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: gel coat color match

Add a small amount of coloring to the gelcoat base - don't add the catalyst yet! Put some of it on the gelcoat nearby to check for color match. Wipe off. Add colorant as needed and check against existing gelcoat again - this is where experience helps in understanding how colors are used to get to an endpoint.

Add the catalyst only after the color is perfect.

Nobody is going to be able to just provide you a "Cal 35" color, because your boat has changed color significantly since new. A spectrum analysis and mix will get very close, but cost a lot if you are only doing a small repair.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 21:37   #9
Senior Cruiser
 
unbusted67's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Islesboro, ME
Boat: Looking for a new boat
Posts: 2,196
Images: 24
Re: gel coat color match

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Add a small amount of coloring to the gelcoat base - don't add the catalyst yet! Put some of it on the gelcoat nearby to check for color match. Wipe off. Add colorant as needed and check against existing gelcoat again - this is where experience helps in understanding how colors are used to get to an endpoint.

Add the catalyst only after the color is perfect.

Nobody is going to be able to just provide you a "Cal 35" color, because your boat has changed color significantly since new. A spectrum analysis and mix will get very close, but cost a lot if you are only doing a small repair.

Mark
Unfortunately a pretty big section of the boat needs to be repaired so I really want to get the color right. It is at the point where I am on the fence about just scrapping the gel coat and awl gripping the thing. I want it to look mint when I am done.
__________________
__________________________________________
Unbusted67 or just Ben
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 21:47   #10
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: gel coat color match

If it is a really large repair, just gelcoat the whole boat. I would probably paint, though.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 23:55   #11
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: gel coat color match

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Unfortunately a pretty big section of the boat needs to be repaired so I really want to get the color right. It is at the point where I am on the fence about just scrapping the gel coat and awl gripping the thing. I want it to look mint when I am done.


This is totally doable, I do it all the time. No reason to paint the whole boat, easy repairs are the whole point of gelcoat. I can talk you through how to do this right no problem if you are interested, with pics if needed. I've done thousands of color matches, it's a specialty. I can guarantee you 100% success if you follow my instructions to the letter. Only takes time and a little bit of materials.
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 01:01   #12
Senior Cruiser
 
unbusted67's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Islesboro, ME
Boat: Looking for a new boat
Posts: 2,196
Images: 24
Re: gel coat color match

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
This is totally doable, I do it all the time. No reason to paint the whole boat, easy repairs are the whole point of gelcoat. I can talk you through how to do this right no problem if you are interested, with pics if needed. I've done thousands of color matches, it's a specialty. I can guarantee you 100% success if you follow my instructions to the letter. Only takes time and a little bit of materials.
Well go right ahead don't let me stop you!
__________________
__________________________________________
Unbusted67 or just Ben
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 12:00   #13
Jd1
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Posts: 1,095
Re: gel coat color match

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
This is totally doable, I do it all the time. No reason to paint the whole boat, easy repairs are the whole point of gelcoat. I can talk you through how to do this right no problem if you are interested, with pics if needed. I've done thousands of color matches, it's a specialty. I can guarantee you 100% success if you follow my instructions to the letter. Only takes time and a little bit of materials.
I would be VERY interested in learning how to color match !
__________________
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 13:48   #14
Registered User
 
LeaseOnLife's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: out cruising again
Boat: Sailboat
Posts: 1,046
Re: gel coat color match

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
I would be VERY interested in learning how to color match !
Add me to the list

Dirk
__________________
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 07:00   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kimberton PA
Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32
Posts: 573
Images: 1
Re: Gel Coat Color Match

I'd definitely sign up for that course.
__________________

__________________
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gel Coat Stained... Help Captain Bill Construction, Maintenance & Refit 19 11-08-2013 10:37
Fiberglass maintenance? GalaxyGirl Powered Boats 88 15-07-2013 08:35
Barrier coat Jd1 Construction, Maintenance & Refit 13 22-07-2012 12:58
Gel Coat Advice rhr1956 Construction, Maintenance & Refit 15 29-08-2011 14:34
Cracks In Gel Coat Tori Construction, Maintenance & Refit 7 23-08-2011 15:03



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:54.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.