Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2019, 03:32   #1

Garboard drain plug alternative

I have a Westerly Cirrus 22 that has a bolt on cast iron keel. It has a sump where water collects. I want to install a drain hole just above the bottom of the sump so no water collects in the winter. Instead of a standard garboard drain plug, does anyone think an acceptable alternative would be a bolt with a carriage bolt type head and a nut and lock washer (or nylock nut and washer) on the inside and both sides sealed with a 4200 type sealant. The objective is just to have a smaller hole (maybe 5/16") than the holes necessary for a standard type drain plugs and have the hole at the absolute bottom of the sump. You could also just drill the hole and fill with epoxy each year. Or, is what I'm thinking just a stupid is as stupid does method?
ajay73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 05:06   #2

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Re: Garboard drain plug alternative

I installed a garboard plug made by Buck Algonquin. The hole needed is smaller than anything else that is installed in the hull. I had misgivings at first, but a couple of yard people said it it done quite often. I also met someone who did drill a hole each year, then fill it with epoxy. Not sure I want 20 holes accumulating over the years.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 10:25   #3

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Garboard drain plug alternative

Remember to use stainless for everything!
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plug