Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2015, 04:26   #16

Boat: solaris 42 1978
Re: Galvanizing done at home?

has anyone had galvanizing done in panama ??? i asked around few i know but no results ??
svfraidknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 05:06   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01kiwijohn View Post
Forgetaboutit. I had 150 feet of 5/16 bbb hi test re galvinized for $1.00 per foot. Great investment. 2 seasons now, at about 100 anchorages per year, and still looks like new.
I do however, touch up the tips of the 45 lb Bruce with spray on galvanizing each year.
Where please?
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 05:15   #18
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Start with a spare cast iron bathtub and some industrial propane torches, then you can throw in lots of scrap zinc and melt it down, and do your own hot galvanizing at home. Apparently the zinc vapors are almost as toxic as lead, so you might want to beware of that, too.

The "cold galvanize" zinc paints are the most effective way to go if you're not going to have it hot dipped, but there's a reason folks pay to have that done.(G)
LOL. Actually, the exposure welders get working around galvanized pipe isn't funny.

I like the inverted bath tubs collecting swamp gas for cooking. You'll see a half dozen or more linked to a salvaged compressor and an old propane tank in some parts of Louisiana.
Old 21-11-2015, 05:26   #19

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

You can clean your chain by dragging it behind your Pick Up truck down the dirt road on the way to the swamp.
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 10:35   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfraidknot View Post
has anyone had galvanizing done in panama ??? i asked around few i know but no results ??
I can't help you with Panama, but if you are talking chain; there is debate as to whether it is better to replace the chain or have it hot dipped. If you have a long chain (rather than chain and warp) you can consider turning it end to end as one end may not have had any use. If you are talking about your anchor, you might consider wire brushing and painting until it can be galvanised. It will wear off quicker than galv but can easily be touched up. If you are having a CQR anchor re-galvanised, the lead under the point will be melted away in the process and need to be replaced. That is why re-galvanised CQR anchors drag.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 11:24   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHO View Post
If you get some used photographic hypo ( rare these days) and dip your 150' of chain in it it will come out silver plated. You will be the only boat in the anchorage with a silver plated chain.
Better to get it hot dipped or get new chain.

Also I understand that old anodes melted down will not make a good anode again. Not sure but that's what I've been told.
Very rear. I think about the only us of silver is for X-rays but not people, welds. Such as jet turbine vanes to hub.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 12:30   #22

Quote:
I can't help you with Panama, but if you are talking chain; there is debate as to whether it is better to replace the chain or have it hot dipped. If you have a long chain (rather than chain and warp) you can consider turning it end to end as one end may not have had any use. If you are talking about your anchor, you might consider wire brushing and painting until it can be galvanised. It will wear off quicker than galv but can easily be touched up. If you are having a CQR anchor re-galvanised, the lead under the point will be melted away in the process and need to be replaced. That is why re-galvanised CQR anchors drag.
A genuine Scottish made CQR should never be regalvanized or coated with anything.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 13:48   #23

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Interesting comments on this topic!

Sent from SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 13:56   #24

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfraidknot View Post
From the Panama City Cruisers Guide:
Quote:
NOTE: There is no regalvanizing facility for chain in Panama. Some cruisers have had chain regalvanized in Ecuador.
Old 21-11-2015, 17:55   #25

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser, 12meters, 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls View Post
Your friends advice is not what you want. The process he is recommending is electroplating zinc. It results is a very thin zinc layer which will fail in salt water in short order. Anchor chain is hot dip galvanized which is done by cleaning the chain and then dipping it in a tank of molten zinc. The thickness of the zinc deposited is much greater than with the electroplate process. Hot dip will outlast electroplate zinc by a very large margin.
As one who once made a living out of the hot dip galvanizing process I can vouch for the above.

One of the reasons that re-hot dipping an older chain is expensive is because even the old zinc is stripped off in the acid bath in order to clean off the rust. The stripping of old zinc renders the acid useless after a time, so many galvanizing firms will stock up on old chains till they get a whole batch of them to strip off and then they replace the whole acid bath with new acid.
Kerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 18:11   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Very rear. I think about the only us of silver is for X-rays but not people, welds. Such as jet turbine vanes to hub.
Not even much for X-rays now they are mainly changed to digital. Now surgeons can have X-ray views in real time if they need, and not have to keep a patient anesthetised while film is developed. Everywhere else in the modern world like my dentist seems to have digital X-rays which of course can easily be emailed and viewed on a computer screen.

They can be saved on a sheet of film but I think that is a process that doesn't use hypo in a bath. I've always asked but not had a clear answer. I think it might be a process through rollers in a machine roughly like Polaroid.

It used to be fun silver plating copper coins in used hypo.

I didn't know silver is used in turbine blades to hub. The turbine blades I remember from years ago were sort of dove tailed in and rattled around when cold. Or do you mean it's the compressor blades that use silver??

Cine film processing machines used to be a source of silver but they are becoming extinct now.

All of which has nothing to do with coating a chain with zinc, but it's more interesting.
Old 22-11-2015, 12:31   #27

Quote:
Not even much for X-rays now they are mainly changed to digital. Now surgeons can have X-ray views in real time if they need, and not have to keep a patient anesthetised while film is developed. Everywhere else in the modern world like my dentist seems to have digital X-rays which of course can easily be emailed and viewed on a computer screen.

They can be saved on a sheet of film but I think that is a process that doesn't use hypo in a bath. I've always asked but not had a clear answer. I think it might be a process through rollers in a machine roughly like Polaroid.

It used to be fun silver plating copper coins in used hypo.

I didn't know silver is used in turbine blades to hub. The turbine blades I remember from years ago were sort of dove tailed in and rattled around when cold. Or do you mean it's the compressor blades that use silver??

Cine film processing machines used to be a source of silver but they are becoming extinct now.

All of which has nothing to do with coating a chain with zinc, but it's more interesting.
As far as the x-raying of turbine blades. I am only going by what a friend said, that made a pretty good living in the silver reclamation business, selling reclamation services of others. I think he still dabbles in it just to care for customers of years that he can or it is pin money. I guess a lap top is all he needs. The days of silver imaging is long gone.

Back to the subject. A bathtub job of replateing old chain with zinc is an exercise un futility.

So were Haloid processors as a source for silver.
Old 22-11-2015, 13:17   #28

Quote:
As far as the x-raying of turbine blades. I am only going by what a friend said, that made a pretty good living in the silver reclamation business, selling reclamation services of others. I think he still dabbles in it just to care for customers of years that he can or it is pin money. I guess a lap top is all he needs. The days of silver imaging is long gone.

Back to the subject. A bathtub job of replateing old chain with zinc is an exercise un futility.

So were Haloid processors as a source for silver.
There might be silver somewhere in a jet engine but not holding the turbine blades in. It gets fairly hot in there, being after the combustion chambers. Possibly at the compressor end which is not usually called a turbine, though there is a resemblance. Good that scrap is being recycled though. I understand that silver has dropped in price now there is not so much film used.

I've known several people building their own very fine yachts, to also cast their own very fine keels using a cast iron bath tub down the garden with a decent fire underneath. I'm just off to see my friend at his foundry where he casts lead keels in sand moulds using a diesel fired furnace. He's been doing that since before I first met him 35 years ago and he appears to be in fine health.
Old 22-11-2015, 14:14   #29

Quote:
There might be silver somewhere in a jet engine but not holding the turbine blades in. It gets fairly hot in there, being after the combustion chambers. Possibly at the compressor end which is not usually called a turbine, though there is a resemblance. Good that scrap is being recycled though. I understand that silver has dropped in price now there is not so much film used.

I've known several people building their own very fine yachts, to also cast their own very fine keels using a cast iron bath tub down the garden with a decent fire underneath. I'm just off to see my friend at his foundry where he casts lead keels in sand moulds using a diesel fired furnace. He's been doing that since before I first met him 35 years ago and he appears to be in fine health.
Read it? Not silver in a jet engine? Silver in the X-ray process to ensure there aren't any flaws in welds. The silver is just a byproduct of an x-ray or an almost past photographic processes and can be salvaged from the development solution.
Old 22-11-2015, 19:56   #30

Quote:
Read it? Not silver in a jet engine? Silver in the X-ray process to ensure there aren't any flaws in welds. The silver is just a byproduct of an x-ray or an almost past photographic processes and can be salvaged from the development solution.
Yes when I read.. "turbine blades to hub" my simple mind took that to mean attaching, turbine blades to hub because of a full stop in a strange place. I took the literal meaning. But I understand your meaning now you have explained.
I remember working on planes which were being X rayed in places. and it was certainly film then. I'm not sure about whether they are using digital now but I would be surprised if it's not being used.