Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2015, 02:59   #1

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Gally ideas on a mono

This winter I might finally get to refit my gally. I'm wondering if anyone has photos of their gally's I can look at?

My space to build a new gally is only about 1600mm wide so I don't have a lot of room. I've currently got a cook top but no stove, which I'll replace with a stove.

I'm interested in what others put plates, cups, glasses etc in. Pantry ideas etc.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 05:04   #2

Boat: 1971 Irwin 37cc
Re: Gally ideas on a mono

When I changed my galley from mid port side to aft quarter starboard I had no idea how it would look but found lots of ideas from boats posted on Yachtworld sale site. Look for similar size boats and gleen ideas from them.

John
John Boor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 05:39   #3

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ls-132092.html
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 06:11   #4

Boat: Spray Replica

Hi, I have posted some of these photos before. I refitted our galley 10 years ago. These photos were taken last year. So as you can see it is holding up quite well.

I hope these photos help. The cupboards above the stainless bench hold from right to left .Daily cooking essentials (Salt pepper sauces etc.) Plates,bowls,side plates, cups and saucers and the last small door is for cookbooks etc. We have all china crockery. The end cupboards under the micro wave are shallow and hold all our spices in Moccona jars. The 12v Fridge freezer is on left and the cupboard at the end of the fridge bench hold glassware. Most of our bulk stores are held in containers in the bilge.

We are a world cruising boat and have been underway for more than 7 years. We are currently in Borneo and traveling North to Japan and Alaska. I have heard it said by friends that it isn't practicle to have glass and China on a cruising boat. I don't agree. We have been bashed in some horrible weather and have never lost any to the sea. The only breakages have been when Rum was involved.

We even have a crystal cabinet with glasses and decanter on the right in the next photo.

I can take photos of the inside of the cupboards if it helps.

Good Luck with the project.

Garry and Wendy
Spirit of Sobraon
Home Page - www.sobraon.com
sobraon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 10:03   #5

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I recommend the thread started by Delancey last fall about his galley refit. Many ideas, most of them good ones. I've been using it for my reno.

Sobraon - does the SS drainboard lift out or is it fixed and drains to the sink? - looks pretty nifty....
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 10:14   #6

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

stunning!
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 10:16   #7

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

now how about some ideas on cockpit hatch storage
:-)
Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 10:28   #8

Boat: Shannon 38

Where did you purchase the stainless steel countertop/sink?
Virginia Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 10:34   #9

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Disregard my drainboard question - I had a second look!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 11:36   #10

Boat: Tayana 37

Sobraon, assume that 's a microwave. What's the make and would you install it or another if doing it again?

Before leaving Borneo, don't miss taking a jaunt up the Kinabatangan River, south of Sandakan. Lots of fun.
foojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 11:56   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To Garry and Wendy:

That is the NICEST looking Spray interior I have ever seen (and I have looked at photos of a bunch) and one of the NICEST looking settee and saloon views I have seen too.

Very classy and elegant looking!

Is your Spray steel?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 17:52   #12

Boat: Scout 30

I have a feeling Joshua would not recognize this as a replica of the Spray.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 17:56   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Thanks for this link. It's exactly what I was after.
Old 16-02-2015, 17:58   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobraon View Post
Hi, I have posted some of these photos before. I refitted our galley 10 years ago. These photos were taken last year. So as you can see it is holding up quite well.

hope these photos help. The cupboards above the stainless bench hold from right to left .Daily cooking essentials (Salt pepper sauces etc.) Plates,bowls,side plates, cups and saucers and the last small door is for cookbooks etc. We have all china crockery. The end cupboards under the micro wave are shallow and hold all our spices in Moccona jars. The 12v Fridge freezer is on left and the cupboard at the end of the fridge bench hold glassware. Most of our bulk stores are held in containers in the bilge.

We are a world cruising boat and have been underway for more than 7 years. We are currently in Borneo and traveling North to Japan and Alaska. I have heard it said by friends that it isn't practicle to have glass and China on a cruising boat. I don't agree. We have been bashed in some horrible weather and have never lost any to the sea. The only breakages have been when Rum was involved.

We even have a crystal cabinet with glasses and decanter on the right in the next photo.

I can take photos of the inside of the cupboards if it helps.

Good Luck with the project.

Garry and Wendy
Spirit of Sobraon
Home Page - www.sobraon.com

Oh Man is that nice!

I think I'd need a new boat to attach all that too.
Old 16-02-2015, 21:42   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Rustic Charm,

On our first Insatiable, which worked well in a seaway, had double sink facing fwd, just to port of the centerline of the boat. Our fridge was next, to port, outboard. Then, moving aft along the hull, the stove (which had an oven), with some storage below. Starting with a blank space, I'd want to be sure to have an s/s spacer off the side of stove cutout, so that it could help not put so much heat next to the fridge when the oven is on. Both a fend-off bar in front of the stove, and a butt belt are necessary for cooking in a rambunctious sea way. There was storage space under the stove.

Ventilation: great if you can have dorades or a small opening hatch at the fwd end of the galley, and an opening port outboard of the stove, so that you can have a passive airflow of heat and cooking smells to the outside.

Jim put a little drop leaf table at the side of the sink, attached to a piano hinge for the support of that side, and had a leg to support it, that we removed and stowed under the sink for underway. The way he did it, it folded down over two cutlery racks, one up, one down, so all the dinner flatware was stowed there, and couldn't escape in a knockdown. In our present boat, we have more drawers, and all that is in a drawer.

Dish stowage was in a cabinet over the fridge door with openings wide enough and partitioned for different sized plates, bowls and mugs, wide enough at the top, then tapered down to a slot about 75 mm wide, so you could easily grab 4 or 6 at a time. The facia on the storage was cut in teak veneered marine grade plywood, about 8 mm thick, iirc. Foolproof for a knockdown, might have lost something in a roll over.

Our trash on this boat is in a drop-out bin, secured with a barrel bolt type lock. Okay for rollover, but requires one hand to open and another to put the trash in. On the 36 footer, it was probably under the sink. The frame and trash bag on the inside of the sink door approach would work well.

If you're planning to take the boat somewhere hot, I suggest Caframo two blade fans, they're 2 speed, and you can aim them, they're easy to clean and good value. You'll be able to place one so that it will blow on the settee, or on the cook, which is really nice when it's really hot. You'll want one for your berth if you're single, two if there are two of you. I have no fiduciary interest in the company, but after years of Hella fans, I really like how easy the Caframos are to keep clean.

Ann