Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2012, 11:35   #1

Boat: C&C Trawler 37ft.
Galley Storage

Mocking up some galley storage ideas.have come up with a reasonable solution for Corelle plates and bowls,but need some ideas for rolls of cling wrap and aluminum foil. We will probably standardize on 12 inch long rolls.I had tried a mockup next to the plates and bowls,sliding the rolls into a lipped cut out, but very difficult to get them back out.
Jon
Kawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 09:27   #2

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Galley Storage

I think it depends on your cruising plans. If you are going to stay local you are only dependent on the manufacturers not changing anything. Globally you find what you find.

I stick all foil and plastic wrap in a locker I can reach. I keep those, baking paper, and plastic bags all in the same place.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 09:31   #3

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

I'll be interested to hear what everyone has to say? What's your storage solution on the plates? I'm still putting the final pieces of my galley back together and am up in the air as to what the plan for plates and cooking utensils will be!
appick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 09:42   #4

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

My plate solution may not work for you. I use Galleyware that has a non-skid ring on the bottom that also makes a nice pad between plates. My plates (dinner and salad) and bowls (soup) are stacked in a bulkhead locker over the countertop. I have wood pins that keep things in the right place and bungee cords that cut down on rattling.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 09:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
My plate solution may not work for you. I use Galleyware that has a non-skid ring on the bottom that also makes a nice pad between plates. My plates (dinner and salad) and bowls (soup) are stacked in a bulkhead locker over the countertop. I have wood pins that keep things in the right place and bungee cords that cut down on rattling.
We have the same (I think). Got them from West Marine maybe five years ago and they've hung along fairly well. Really cuts down on the clanking underway too.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 13:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
I'll be interested to hear what everyone has to say? What's your storage solution on the plates? I'm still putting the final pieces of my galley back together and am up in the air as to what the plan for plates and cooking utensils will be!
I've padded galley cupboards in non-slip using two-sided tape to attach to bottom and four sides. Stacked Corelle plates and bowls stored in this cupboard don't clink and don't go anywhere. If there is a big storm coming, I might insert small strips of non-slip into the stacks just to be sure.

Cups and glasses (made of glass for a homey feel) are wrapped in the same non-slip and are stored in the same upboard. They don't clink and don't go anywhere even during storms.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 13:09   #7

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

Thin plastic mesh between layers of corelle stops rattles and teaes up little space/weight

Texliner Plastic Mesh | U.S. Plastic Corp.
Old 21-03-2012, 00:48   #8
Phx

^^^Awesome concept^^^
Phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 18:49   #9

Boat: Mason 53

G'day mates. This has served us well over the years for the Corelle. Notice the black rubber pads along the bottom to minimize any noise. I think we still have the original roll of cling wrap & tin foil we left with, just don't use it that often. It's up forward somewhere. Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plates.jpg
Views:	9461
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	38973  
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 19:25   #10

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

I made the best shelf for my aluminum foil, gallon-size storage bags, etc. Okay, under my sink was this cavernous space that was too tall to neatly organize. There was a lot of room, but not a usable as I wanted.

Between the sink and stove is an area approximately 1' wide. What I did was cut a piece of 1/4" thick wood to fit and used two hinges to attach it to the bulkhead closest the stove, down approximately 4" from the bottom of the countertop. To hold it up (the side closest to the sink/parallel to the sink basin) I attached a couple of eyebolts into the bottom of the counter top and used some string. There really wasn't a place to secure the sink side to anything so the string worked out just fine. A small (.75") piece of wood along the sink edge keeps everything on the shelf. It is slightly tilted toward the sink and yes, when it's time to get out the tin foil I have to take out the baggies first.

Because the shelf goes all the way out to the hull, I can also store my spare garbage bags outbound, behind the bags and tin foil. The shelf ends about 3" from the sink so I ca reach in with relative ease.

Now just this week I decided to go ahead and add a paper towel holder beneath this shelf. One hole drilled at the back of the shelf (small stuff thru and tied with a figure-eight knot) then thru a piece of teak about 18" long -- scrap/already had the holes drilled -- anyway, a second hole thru the bottom of the shelf and another knot ... well, it's not elegant, but it sure does get the paper towels put away/out of the way and yet accessible.

The shelf has held up well -- I've been using it for 4 years and see no bends in the wood. That's probably because the back is hinged/supported, the front is strengthened by the teak brace and the items on the shelf are not particularly heavy. That's what I've done and I'm satisfied with the convenience -- nothing else could have gone up there anyway.

Hope this helps! I love my galley... it is the heart of our home.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage