Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 01:55   #1

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Galley Sole Replacement

Well the mast went back in the boat yesterday as I played rigger, and the yard is nearing completion of all their to do items, so it is now my turn to start putting the interior back together.

Im not going to spend a ton of time doing this at this point but will work on it as time permits, this project has taken a year to long as it is, and Im past ready to go sailing.

But one of the item's on the must do list was to replace the galley sole...So I made a Part 1 video today of a couple hours work in the wood shop.

One of my hobbies is taking wood from standing timber state all the way to furniture...I usually have a stack or three of various species of drying and fully cured wood, sticker stacked in my shop...Im seen using some of that in the video for the galley sole.

I thought Id start things off with my yards theme song..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:13   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Nice Vid and am envious of the boys toys in your workshop . and your workshop

Round these parts having the right tool for the right job is called..........cheating

Coincidently am also working on exactly the same job at the moment in the Galley - albeit a little bit smaller. Also started off with the plastic sh#te to remove (in my case fake wood on a roll ) - a heat gun works well.

I did think about felling a tree and chopping it up but instead went for a hard sanding down and a couple of coats of epoxy. Also sanded down. with a primer then bilge paint underside (drying in the garden as we speak ). Shortly to be topped with.........non-slip deck paint (I'm a messy cook ) Dissapointingly on this job I didn't get to use any molegrips

My only comment on your job is.........have you allowed for the increase in height of the floorboards? (both to fit and for headroom )
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:21   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Along with thinking about "unintended consequences" of the new thickness/height of the sole boads - think about a method of positive "lock-down" of each access panel in the sole. It is easier and probably a lot less expensive to engineer in a positive lock-down system as you are building the new sole rather than afterward. In a knock down or roll-over most injuries are caused by access panels coming loose and flying around breaking arms and other body parts.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 13:11   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
And you still have all your fingers?
Congratulations.
regards,
Old 03-07-2010, 21:46   #5

Thanks Dave...Yes it is nice to have the room to work as well as being able to leave all your tools and or project laying out ready to pick up where you left off when time permits.

No worries Orisissail...There is a 6" step down to the galley...It and the Nav station on the opposite side have the most head room in the boat...Not that a good knock on my head wouldn't do me some good now and then...Good Idea on the hatch locks...I will think about it.

So far so good John..thanks for the concern....My push sticks are ever present an not far from me at all times around the sharp stuff.

So not having the adhesive I want to use I didn't glue up today but I spent a few minutes tinkering anyway...take a peak.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:05   #6

I cannot think of many things that seem to bring satisfaction to a male as constructing/making something with your own hands that is beautiful to behold. And I think it is hardwired into our male chromosomes.
- - Down here in Trinidad we have a lot of different species of birds and at the Nature Centers the guides carefully explain how the male birds will pay careful attention to clear "display areas" and build the "best and most pretty" nests possible to attract the female bird. The males get to fluff out their display feathers and dance around their magnificent craftsmanship hoping to get the female bird to let them do their procreational thing.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:15   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Don't know how I missed this thread....WELL DONE mate!
The works very nice....and the video is so well done.
Is the music you as well?
We're waiting the next installment...............
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:17   #8

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Well I finally made it past the building supply center and picked up the adhesive I wanted to use it was even on sale..3.49 + tax...some of you may wonder at my choice and why not go with a marine product...My answer is simple...The construction industry has been around as long as the boat industry and their R&D is just as stringent.

This is not a below water line or topside application..their is absolutely no reason to pay high dollars for a marine sealant here...Sub-floor adhesive or what I chose will do just fine.

FWIW...I pealed off some 30 year old sub-floor adhesive off my glue gun and it is still pliable and tough to break.

Hopefully I am starting to convince some of you with this how to...that this is a doable project for you and doesn't need to take hours and hours to do...A table saw and a few clamps ( you can rent them) is really the only required tools you will need for this, and that can be the 200.00 bench top model as well.

My choice to use my own lumber necessitated the planner but buying dimensional lumber removes that requirement... I also just ran wild the boards off the sub-base and will trim with a router after sanding, this is my lazy and fast way of doing it but you could just as well cut everything perfect to fit as you go.

Believe me it has taken longer to put together and edit these video's then this project has taken.

Up next sanding, trimming and finish.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:52   #9

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
I am going in the opposite direction with my sole in the galley and elsewhere. 1/2" highdensity polyurethane foam, glassed, painted with linear polyurethane and sand nonskid, supported by 1" x 2" aluminum square tubing, drilled with 1" holes on the side to lighten them further. When I'm done, I figure I will have shaved a couple hundred pounds off the boat. Pretty teak and holly (and other beautiful woods) needs a clear finish to keep them pretty, but also makes them like a skating rink when wet, which my galley can often become.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 19:31   #10

Any adhesive/glue only needs to be waterproof and to not dissolve in the presence of water or salt water. It is very common for the insides of boats and especially the soles to get wet or washed with lots of water because hatches were left open; water pipe break or leak; vinyl hoses burst; and galley sink fixtures dissolve (rapidly in the salt water atmosphere in a boat.) Probably about once per year the inside of my boat gets wet for one reason or mistake or another. Using waterproof glue and even waterproof plywood is important. Sh*t happens.
- - Anyway, dimensional lumber and "exotic" wood (anything other than pine or oak) is a joy to work with and make things. I always manage before too long to "sniff" out the special wood suppliers and love to ramble through their warehouses getting excited by woods from Brazil, Costa Rica, Burma, all over the world. What could I make with this? What could I make with that? It is almost better than a tool store. . .
Old 10-07-2010, 22:07   #11

Boat: FP Athena 38 - Breakaway
wow! i am a lurker here, but I am in awe. In my eyes you are the perfect combination of engineer and artist. props to you! And thank you for posting vids in which I can learn upon....

Brian
mtnsapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 09:55   #12

Very kind words mtnsapo...Thank you

Trying to keep my head above water... Soccer tourniments, running the teams website and having a litter of puppies has gotten in the way latly, but I managed a couple hours in the shop yesterday.

In answer as to why I chose Madrona and cherry, the simple answere is... I had it.
From past experiences I knew their color retention qualties would give me a very close aproximation of teak and holly, the only reservation I had at all is madrona is not a very stable wood compared to teak. This is also why I chose to go with an epoxy finish to lock it down as best as posibal.

Any hoo have a look see.....

I let sanding dust in the shop settel overnight and I will finish it today if nothing drages me away.

Old 19-07-2010, 10:45   #13
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Wow Great videos and work, a master makes it all look so easy!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 10:46   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Nice
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 09:46   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Very nice work...You've been hold-in out on us.
Whats the next project?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote