Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-11-2013, 05:50   #106

Re: Future Brown Water Cruiser: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit

Fun is a relative term...

Well, the boatamalans haven't gotten the blue on the hull or the MS1 on the toe rail. The good news is that the bow seat windows arrived! The bad news is....well, it's covered in the latest article. I'm starting to wonder if "American quality" has become a myth from a bygone era.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Bow Seat Windows

Cheers,
Q

Old 05-11-2013, 06:45   #107
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

Q.....unfortunately,it has.
glad you got windows, boatamalans will finish in boatamalan time.....

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:00   #108

So, you've experienced what appear to be widespread quality issues, too? Any examples?
Old 09-11-2013, 06:20   #109

New glass showed up! It's even better than I expected!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Glass!

Cheers,
Q

Old 09-11-2013, 06:33   #110
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

awesome!!!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:38   #111

Yeah, that new glass is great! I'm still working on the aft portholes, too. Geez...those things are giving me a hard time.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Refurbishing [hateful] Aft Stateroom Portholes

Old 09-11-2013, 15:16   #112
Provocateur & Raconteur

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau.com TW31 Modified

Just spent the better part of 4 hours reading your blog from start to todays' update. Very nice work Q.

We considered refurbishing a Roamer but considered it well above our pay grade and decided to build something a little smaller.

I appreciate all the great info you've put in your blog and this thread and have come away with a few really good things to look up.

Bravo Zulu
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:03   #113

Thanks, Rick!
I'm off to the boatyard again. I'll catch up with you once we're done with the boot stripe. Winter's comin'! Gotta get that paint work done!
Cheers,
Q
Old 11-11-2013, 04:12   #114

The stripe paint is getting closer, but we're not there quite yet.

In other news, for the first time since 2008 I don't have to jump down a level when going into the v-berth!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Steps to the V-berth

Cheers,
Q

Old 13-11-2013, 04:51   #115

Well...we got the accent and boot stripes painted last weekend! That's almost a wrap for the exterior paint. What a slog that was!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Painting the Stripes

Cheers,
Q

Old 15-11-2013, 05:34   #116

Once the paint was dry, my new fabricator showed up to install the prop shaft cutlass bearing housings. Everything was looking good until one of the collets he made to center the housings on the shaft wouldn't release. He figures the housing changed shape when he was welding between the vee...there's a lot of weld in there, and it was pretty hot. Then my equipment didn't let us weld in the tight space in the intermediate strut. We'll have to continue the work next weekend (hopefully), after we get the equipment on site to resolve the current problems.

But even with the problems, the housings look good and it's a relief to know I'll have the shafts in before Thanksgiving. That sets me on course to have the engines installed by the end of the year.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing the Propeller Shafts (part 1)

Cheers,
Q

Old 15-11-2013, 06:31   #117

Keep posting. I always wanted to do this with a Chris Craft so I'm living vicariously through you.
Old 15-11-2013, 12:18   #118

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by q240z View Post
He figures the housing changed shape when he was welding between the vee...there's a lot of weld in there, and it was pretty hot.
The same thing happened to me when I welded my aluminum stern tube into the hull. The tube ended up being an oval shape. My remedy was to grind a little material (fiberglass) from the outside of the cutlass bearing until a good fit was achieved. I put 50 engine hours on that set-up and everything seems fine.

A better fix would have been to true the inside of the stern tube with a boring bar like the wooding boat builders use to bore the keel dead wood.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boring bar.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	70498  
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 08:05   #119

Thanks, Panope! It's always good to hear from somebody who's suffered through a similar situation. It sounds like, with your bore going oval, you ended up in a bit more dire situation than we're looking at. The fabricator suggested buying an adjustable carbide reamer, but for a fraction of that cost a Forstner drill bit just might do the job. That's one of the beauties of aluminum--you can use woodworking tools to shape it.

Speaking of which, I'm digging into my helm windshield frames now. Like things aren't complicated enough already, trying to figure out workarounds for OE parts a previous owner threw out adds to the challenge.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Helm Windshield Frames (part I)

Cheers,
Q

Old 18-11-2013, 12:13   #120

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by q240z View Post
Thanks, Panope! It's always good to hear from somebody who's suffered through a similar situation. It sounds like, with your bore going oval, you ended up in a bit more dire situation than we're looking at. The fabricator suggested buying an adjustable carbide reamer, but for a fraction of that cost a Forstner drill bit just might do the job. That's one of the beauties of aluminum--you can use woodworking tools to shape it.
As with any of these distortions, one area of the I.D. of the housing will have shrunk while adjacent areas of the I.D. will grow larger than desired. Mine happened to shrink in the horizontal axis while the vertical dimension grew larger. I had to shave about 1/32" from my cutlass bearing shell to fit. The flaw in this (and the remedy of reaming the I.D. of the housing) is that there will be a corresponding gap in the area of the tube that grew.

Another related issue that I intend to address is the potential for corrosion of the I.D. of the housing. I do not know what the industry standard calls for, but when I put my system together, I coated the I.D. of the housing with some of that sticky boat trailer bearing grease prior to inserting the cutlass bearing as an attempt at isolating the raw aluminum from the seawater and the associated stray electrical currents.

I am not convinced that the grease will provide a long lasting barrier. I am strongly considering the following action prior to my launch date: Remove the cutlass bearing, thoroughly clean out the remaining grease, sandblast the I.D. of the housing and apply thick epoxy paint. In addition to providing an electrical barrier, this paint will close whatever gaps remain from the welding distortion. This may be overkill as the nearby zincs should sacrifice before the aluminum.

Anyway, with your adjustable reamer you could theoretically over size the housing I.D. to a new perfectly round shape and then use the paint to bring the I.D. back down to a snug fit for your cutlass bearing.

Steve

Panope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruiser, paracelle, refit, water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: