Provocateur & Raconteur

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau.com TW31 Modified
Re: Future Brown Water Cruiser: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by q240z View Post
"When" I finish?

Dude, you're a lot more optimistic than me...I'm thinking IF I ever finish! lol
You got this Q! You'll definitely be floating before I am!

knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 07:20   #348

Thanks for the faith...every little bit helps!

I got back to work in the V-berth head and made a fiberglassed hole in the floor for a shower drain. Unfortunately, we're ramping up for a week of nasty heat and humidity, so I'm not even going to bother making the trip to the boatyard. There's some stuff I can do at home, though, so progress will continue.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Back to the V-berth Head (AKA the Throne Room)

Cheers,
Q

Old 28-07-2016, 07:59   #349

Man....the heat and humidity is killin' me. But the V-berth head panel work is finally done. Surprisingly, given that I'm a woodworking noob who's just kind of guessing with all of this, it turned out pretty good!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: The Throne Room Door Opening

Cheers,
Q

Old 09-08-2016, 07:26   #350

Man...this is the most miserable summer I can remember. The heat's bad but the humidity makes it much, much worse. And we don't seem to be having the daily thunderstorms that knock some of the humidity out of the air in other years. But we got a brief break from the heat wave and got busy doing the fiberglass work in the v-berth head. I never, ever want to do that again, but the hard part's done.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Fiberglassing the “Throne Room”

Cheers,
Q

Old 09-08-2016, 08:47   #351

Boat: 1969 Roamer ChrisCraft, Riveria, 46'

I've got a question about the electrical system. I read over your post about re-installing the isolation transformer. From the picures, it looks like each side of the transformer is setup for two 125v 50 amp legs, a common neutral and ground wire. Is that correct?

On mine, only a single hot leg is wired up for a single 125v 50 amp service coming into the boat but I would like to expand it so I can break the AC units onto a dedicated leg. Since our boats are the same make, model and year I'm hoping mine is identical to yours.

As your post points out, the connections are on the bottom, with the unit stuck up in the V of the bow, with no good access without cutting away parts of the cabin. Oh and it is incredibly heavy to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-08-2016, 08:51   #352

Hey neptunesjester.

This product data sheet shows the hot and neutral wiring and also the interconnects (mine most closely matches T279747S), and yup...it's at least 175# and is top-heavy. If you dig into this, be ready for that thing to jump off the wall and try to head to the center of the planet as soon as the last bolt is free.
http://attachments.temcoindustrialpo...e_Sec1_VII.pdf

Shore ground only goes to the case and IIRC one wire going to the transformer core. There's no ground out, and you need to keep shore-side ground out of outlets that are supplied by the transformer or it defeats the purpose of having an isolation transformer. You don't want a physical connection between shore power/ground and outlets. Also, per the schematic, you don't need to bring shore neutral aboard, just the two hots and ground.

In other news, crikey it's hot! We've got three days of 100° heat and humidity coming this weekend, so we're going out to play on our non-project boat, a 1968 Chris Craft Commander 42. But when there was a lull between heat waves recently, we got the fairing work done in the V-berth head. It's turning out pretty nice.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Fairing the “Throne Room.”

Cheers,
Q

Old 17-08-2016, 08:48   #353

Had an excellent day out on our 1968 Chris Craft Commander over the weekend...didn't even think about the Roamer. But the v-berth head (AKA the Throne Room) walls are faired, sanded, filleted, and primed. Boo-ya.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: “Throne Room” Fillets & Primer

Cheers,
Q

Old 17-08-2016, 09:56   #354
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

good progress. love the commander.. i had one once--a 1967 built 1968 model, 38 ft , one of first laid in glass.. awesome boat
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 13:34   #355

Yeah, the Commander's not bad. Unfortunately, the 42 is just a stretched 38, and the boats are underpowered and somewhat poorly balanced with too much weight aft. Pretty much everybody who's still running the 300hp 427 Ford/Chris Craft engines agrees you have to run them to WOT (4000rpm) to get on plane, then don't drop below 3600 to cruise unless you've got trim tabs, or you'll fall off plane. Basically, it's either a 9kt boat or a 20kt boat, without that pleasant cruise you got with the lighter and shorter 38.

That said, this has been the most miserably hot and humid summer ever. Even when there's a breeze that helps cut down on the misery outside, inside the tent it's awful. So I've only made a couple trips to the boatyard for the last few weeks instead of the usual 2~3x week. I did manage to pick up a new-to-me Craftsman contractor's table saw for a scorchin' CL deal of $40. It was very lightly used and even came with an owner's manual. Then I made in-feed and out-feed extensions for it and for the Shopsmith saw/multi-tool I've been using. I need long table extensions so I can make long moldings, but since this all goes in the tent in the limited space around the boat, it took some time to figure out an approach that works. It's not elegant, but it's good enough for what I need to do. Now if only the heat and humidity would cut me some slack, I'd be in good shape.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Expanding the Woodworking Shop

Cheers,
Q

Old 16-09-2016, 10:08   #356

It's finally cooling off a bit, so I got the moldings made for the V-berth head. It sure goes a lot faster making moldings with a semi-dedicated shaper and a separate table saw.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Making V-berth Head Moldings

Cheers,
Q

Old 20-09-2016, 12:43   #357

I got the mahogany moldings sanded, then sent them to the paint shop for finishing with ICA clearcoat. They turned out great! But when I went to install them, I found a couple of spots where the fiberglass didn't stay put until the epoxy cured. Fixing those spots throws another week or two into the process of getting the V-berth head painted, but at this point it's not stressing me out. Every bit of progress gets me closer to being done.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Sanding and Finishing the V-berth Head Moldings

Cheers,
Q

Old 20-09-2016, 14:49   #358
Provocateur & Raconteur

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Very nice work Q. Watching this thread like a tutorial!
Old 20-09-2016, 15:20   #359

Thanks!

The main lesson to take away from this tutorial is to not do this sort of thing...EVER!
Old 20-09-2016, 15:43   #360
Provocateur & Raconteur

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by q240z View Post
Thanks!

The main lesson to take away from this tutorial is to not do this sort of thing...EVER!
Too late! 10 yrs and almost $60K USD into this project! No turning back now!

How do you fasten the trim to the bulkheads etc.? Glue?

I have a router table & shaper bits. Was figuring I would also make my own trim. Got about 100 BF of well aged Black Cherry waiting to be butchered!

Tags
cruiser, paracelle, refit, water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: