Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2007, 03:49   #16

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
That looks an awfully lot like the Famet Reefurl.
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 03:50   #17

Boat: Beneteau 456
Poor engineering.

I also have a Furler in my boat but the fact that a head sail and halyard can become wrapped around the headstay, even with new furling systems says a lot about the poor engineering applied to furling tecnology. There must be a way of locking the halyard, the foil and the sail in such a way that the halyard wont wrap. Its just a matter of experimenting.
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 04:00   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Halyard wrap usually occurs when the sail is a little on the short side and doesn't run all the way up the length of the foil. The problem is in the geometry of the foil and halyard relationship. In other words, the halyard is running parallel to the foil and wants to rotate with the foil. The result, unfortunately, is the halyard will bind tight on the foil preventing it from rotating.
There are two solutions most commonly used prevent the problem of furler halyard wrap:

Restrainer / Diverter:
The halyard restrainer (diverter) simply mounts to the mast and pulls the halyard away from the foils so that it doesn't wrap around the foils. The diverter is installed on boats where the sheave is too close to the headstay.
The diverter is mounted on the mast below the genoa halyard exit, thus increasing the angle of the halyard.

Top Pennant:
If you frequently change furling headsails (say between a 100 and 150), and the sheave is low enough, the solution is to add a pennant to the top of each sail. This raises the halyard swivel up to the sheave box, so the halyard isn't quite parallel to the foils, thus keeping the halyard from wrapping.
It’s important to make sure the pennant is at the top of the sail and not on the bottom. If the pendant is mounted at the bottom, there is a danger of blowing out the luff of the sail.

This is what 1x19 wire looks like at the upper headstay terminal fitting after it has been twisted back and forth a few times from "halyard wrap". Even slight damage from minor episodes warrants replacing the wire.
Goto Seaworthy Magazine: Inspecting Your Boat's Mast and Rigging Surveying Your Rig:
At: BoatUS.com Seaworthy magazine
Attached Images

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 10:58   #19

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
A lot of this wrap info was brought up just recently in this thead
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...highlight=wrap
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 12:30   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I have never had a wrap issue, never ever. I have the diverter but have never installed it. I had always been thinking, hmmmm, must mount that one day. but the longer I go without having a problem, the more I think, why do I need it.
But then, the top swivel bearings are so smooth and easy to rotate. I can only inmagine that if the top swivel was sticky or not smooth or was a friction bearing as in Brents design, then the issue of wrap would be a problem. In fact, with no roller bearigns at all in Brents design, how the heck do you furl that easily under load.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler