Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2016, 10:02   #91

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Fuel Polishing System Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
I'm not writing as an expert in this area either, but I don't think that is correct. I have read and heard contrary information multiple times. I don't know if this article linked below from Yachting Monthly is better informed than your guy. Here he says that because of greater tolerances in the parts direct injection engines have to protect from particles of 6-7 microns, whereas common rail have to protect down to below 2-3 microns. Reading that it looks like my 10 mu filter isn't really good enough even for an old engine.

Reasons to be paranoid about Diesel
The little bit of information I was able to dredge up in a few minutes googling seems to support your position on this.

See, e.g. https://www.chevron.com/-/media/chev...ech-review.pdf

"However, as engine designs to reduce emissions result in higher fuel rail and injector pressures, the tighter clearances will have less tolerance for solids and impurities in the fuel. Consequently, some engine manufacturers are now specifying filters with pore size as low as two microns."

I'd like to know the truth of the matter, and I started a thread asking for people's real experiences.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:00   #92

Re: Fuel Polishing System Installation

Howdy,

Use a 2 micron - the flow through rate and differential pressure will be identical across all major filter brands but it will simply require a more frequent change out. 10 micron is inadequate for any engine made since approx. 1999 (any tier 1a through 4b diesel engine) and will allow accelerated wear in the fuel rail components (for hpcr) and for seats, rings and valves in all other pre-hpcr engines. All newer style diesels (last decade) come with a 2 to 4 micron filter as standard equipment nowadays.

I have a good volume of pdf info on this if anyone wants some to geek out on this subject and read 2000+ pages on this. Cheers.
Fuel Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, installation