Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2014, 09:13   #31
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Fuel Polishing System Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
A biocide/fungicide will prevent most of that. I use Biobor on new fuel. (Banned in the glorious EU of course!) Get a alcohol free version of this or an equivalent product as alcohol can damage various fuel line components.
For US readers, and perhaps most of the rest of the world, if you are using diesel you are getting some amount of ethanol, now and then. Though precautions are taken, common lines and common delivery trucks are used often enough that measurable amounts (more than additive would account for--I've done the lab work) are fairly common. Shouldn't be there, I agree, but....

So use alcohol rated materials when possible.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:39   #32

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
For US readers, and perhaps most of the rest of the world, if you are using diesel you are getting some amount of ethanol, now and then. Though precautions are taken, common lines and common delivery trucks are used often enough that measurable amounts (more than additive would account for--I've done the lab work) are fairly common. Shouldn't be there, I agree, but....

So use alcohol rated materials when possible.
Yes, forgot about that. My alcohol comments are out of date.

Another reason for using a fungicide is fuel fungus produces an acidic waste by-product and that can damage components too. Nylon corrosion and stress corrosion cracking. Brass/stainless corrosion etc.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:26   #33

Quote:
Yes, forgot about that. My alcohol comments are out of date.

Another reason for using a fungicide is fuel fungus produces an acidic waste by-product and that can damage components too. Nylon corrosion and stress corrosion cracking. Brass/stainless corrosion etc.
True. I've seen water pH as low as 3.8, nearly vinegar.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:50   #34

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

It could be useful to plumb in an extra hose so that your fuel polishing pump could suck out of a drum and filter the fuel before it goes into the tank. May be a little slow, but worth it with suspect fuel.

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:29   #35
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
A biocide/fungicide will prevent most of that. I use Biobor on new fuel. (Banned in the glorious EU of course!) Get a alcohol free version of this or an equivalent product as alcohol can damage various fuel line components.
Biobor is approved for jet fuel in the EU!
Old 10-09-2014, 06:31   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Biobor is approved for jet fuel in the EU!
I tried two years ago to get it, so a couple of years after the re-approval for aviation. Couldn't get it anywhere. I did a search just now and couldn't find it again. I tried importing it directly, but it is a hazardous substance, so can't be legally shipped either. Maybe if I pull up to an airport fuel area in my Gulfstream jet they will let me have a bit.

Kathon is an alternative you can get. Especially if you buy a lot.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:41   #37

Quote:
I tried two years ago to get it, so a couple of years after the re-approval for aviation. Couldn't get it anywhere. I did a search just now and couldn't find it again. I tried importing it directly, but it is a hazardous substance, so can't be legally shipped either. Maybe if I pull up to an airport fuel area in my Gulfstream jet they will let me have a bit.

What is available at the marine stores? Biobor is not the only effective biocide.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:49   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
What is available at the marine stores? Biobor is not the only effective biocide.
A few marine store or oil company own labels and small distributor brands. Also Grotamar 82 and Soltron/ Star Tron and Kathon
Old 10-09-2014, 08:18   #39

Boat: Liberty 458

Nice system.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:47   #40

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I use Fuelright. But as my boat is up on a slip since I began using it I've not been able to give any review on it. In a couple weeks time though I'll be opening my tank and should be able to make more of a comment on it.

Fuel Right
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 16:45   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33, 33'6"
Send a message via Skype™ to Aloha_float

Quote:

I believe that Biobor is not REACH registered. You can get Fuel Right from Elin Oil in Greece.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Aloha_float is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 17:34   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Your system looks great! . If I were building a new boat, I would specify something like that. The most crucial design feature, in my opinion, is the fuel pickup -- there needs to be some kind of sump, with the fuel pickup for polishing right down at the bottom of it. Pickup for the engine somewhat higher. That way, the crud will always go to the polishing system before it gets into the engine fuel supply system.

I take a somewhat different approach on my boat. I have dual Racor 500's (almost the very first thing I installed on the boat when I bought her), and I keep a close eye on them. The Yanmar 100 horsepower engine (same engine as yours) passes a huge amount of fuel through the return line, so is constantly polishing the fuel through the Racors.

This wouldn't be good enough if I were getting really bad fuel or if I had really dirty tanks, but here is where the other leg of my strategy comes into play -- I have my tanks cleaned out every two years. Also, I buy fuel rarely enough (two or three times a year max) that I am never forced to buy fuel in a dodgy spot.

I just changed the fuel filters (primary & secondary) in my genset. For the first time in five years and about 900 hours. The filters were nearly spotless.

I surely agree with you that it's a great feeling to have confidence that your engine is getting spotlessly clean fuel. Don't neglect regular tank inspection and cleaning! Is your tank hard to get at?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 17:36   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden36 View Post
It could be useful to plumb in an extra hose so that your fuel polishing pump could suck out of a drum and filter the fuel before it goes into the tank. May be a little slow, but worth it with suspect fuel.

Regards,
Richard.
That's a really good idea . I think Nick of Jedi has something similar.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 19:06   #44
cruiser

The fuel tank is very easy to get at, with two large, clear plastic inspection ports one on each end of the tank. Easy to look in with a flashlight (torch).

Another reason for installing a fuel polishing system in addition to the two Racors we already had, was to filter the fuel more often. Example: While in Sardegna where there's plenty of wind every day, we rarely use the motor. We only motored 8 hours total over a six week period and burned only about 75 gallons of diesel, almost all by the genset.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 21:29   #45
Marine Service Provider

If you use a fuel polisher you need to use a fuel conditioner as well.
If you don't you will break the fuel down quicker.
Mr Filter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, installation