Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2016, 07:12   #31

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Fridge ice box conversions

If you can live with an AC-only fridge, get a used dorm fridge, tear out the guts and install in the icebox.

A friend of mine did that, total cost $30.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 07:41   #32

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Not sure what conversions you've done, but an icebox conversion is pretty easy if you don't have to add insulation. you just have to decide where the equipment is going and install it. The simplest kits only have 2 refrigerant connections to make, power and the thermostat.

Not much mess to it, even if you are super detailed about it. Its one of the easiest improvements to make!
That's exactly right. Our frigoboat keel cooler was just slightly more complicated. We added the keel cooler portion, which required a new hole in the boat; we also had to bend the evaporator just right, which required some ad hoc tooling.

After that it was just running the two refrigerant lines (very very carefully as to not kink) and the thermostat wiring, and the control panel wiring - all of which were bundled.

Power used the same wire as the old system.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 08:09   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
I think the only summary point that could use a little more info is No 6.

While yes water cooling does get the heat off the boat..how much heat and is it a good trade-off for the increased maintenance of using water cooling? If you are able to mount your condensing unit in a lazerette or locker that doesn't dump into the cabin then you will never feel any heat addition to the boat cabin. Some system do need the air ducting, while others can run without losing efficiency at up to 120-degs F...so no ducting to the outside is needed.

To put how much heat it adds into perspective I believe it was Gord who determined the heat gain was equal to one half of a person, meaning of course that another person on board will add twice as much heat as a standard BD35 compressor.
It's not much heat, about half as much as a 60W light bulb I think.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 08:43   #34

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
To put how much heat it adds into perspective I believe it was Gord who determined the heat gain was equal to one half of a person, meaning of course that another person on board will add twice as much heat as a standard BD35 compressor.
It's not much heat, about half as much as a 60W light bulb I think.
I vent my compressor to the bilge with a 0.08W Noctua 14cm fan running nonstop when boat fridge is in use and a 4 inch HVAC duct for a total of 2 amps draw in 24 hours. Helps keep the bilge dry and ventilated and zero or unmeasurable effect on the salon temperatures.

Another 12cm Corsair SP120 (SP=Static Pressure) fan drawing 0.09w attached to the condenser and blowing through it to the ECU and compressor when its running drawing about 1 amp total in 24 hours. Both fans are so quiet you can't hear them running unless you bring your ear to within 1 to 2 feet.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 06:38   #35

Boat: Spindrift 43 SV Falkor

Well I installed a isotherm 2013 evaporator kit in my existing box. Install was super easy. Unit is almost silent, can't hear it with the engine compartment closed, although the evaporator is noisey in the fridge. Cools the space down quickly. Haven't let it stabilize the temperature yet to figure out what it draws but in full cool mode on a hot fridge full of warm beverages it was pulling 5amps.
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 07:09   #36

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-rad View Post
Well I installed a isotherm 2013 evaporator kit in my existing box. Install was super easy. Unit is almost silent, can't hear it with the engine compartment closed, although the evaporator is noisey in the fridge. Cools the space down quickly. Haven't let it stabilize the temperature yet to figure out what it draws but in full cool mode on a hot fridge full of warm beverages it was pulling 5amps.
Is your BD50 running at slow speed?

My BD35 on slow only takes 2.2 amps .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 08:30   #37

Boat: 1983 Lancer 44' Motorsailer

Captain Mitch:

Pardon the OT question but what is your total solar output capacity?
CapnCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 14:10   #38

Boat: Morgan 512 51'

Total of 4 panels is just shy of 1000
captain mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 22:01   #39

People give off 350 BTU's while sitting and 1,000 BTU's while standing. That's how AC is calculated for the head load of a room or building. Just something to think about.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote