Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-11-2012, 18:36   #1

Boat: searching...
Fridge/Freezer 1 compressor vs. 2

I always get a lot of help here so this time I would like to share once a (I think) unusual experience. Maybe is useful for someone.

I had some issues with my freezer/fridge. The compartments a real big and worked with a spill over from the freezer to the fridge. When the compressor stalled I had to buy (based one wrong advice from a local "expert") a new compressor. Due some valuable forum help I was able the get the old compressor running. Since I had now a new unit as well, I decided to split the system and use one compressor for the freezer and the other for the fridge. I installed digital Thermostats so I can run whatever side as fridge or freezer.

I was well aware that two compressors need more juice than one. But since we full time cruiser and the fridge is always well filled I was willing to deal with that as I have now some kind of a backup system. Hard to imagine that both systems fail at the same time.

You could imagine how surprised I was when I discovered that I actually saved energy, up to 30A in 24h! First I was sure that must be a mistake so I checked again. At one point it became clear to me, I needed less power for a simple reason: Here in the Caribbean the single compressor was running almost 90% of the time to keep the big two compartments at the desired temperature. It was probably simply undersized for this area. Now the compressors runtime is significant less: maybe every 30 - 45min or so!

I know, you could now argue that a better isolation would achieve the same or even more energy saving. For sure! But that would cost more than a new compressor and a evaporator, if you get the right material over here! Despite the fact that it would be a multi week long project. So, if you depend on the fridge/freezer check if this could be an option for you. I know it will not work for everybody but maybe worth checking - at least it was for me!
swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 23:22   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Fridge/Freezer 1 compressor vs. 2

That is excellent feed back. Thank you Marco. I know a number of people have expressed satisfaction with the spillover system but it seems that many people change to dual compressors. Its nice to hear that they are more efficient than the spillover system.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: