Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2013, 07:43   #1
tsl

Boat: O'Day 39
fridge

New refrigerator
My boat (o'day 39) was first purchased and spec'ed out for a charter fleet in the virgin islands. The nav station was replaced with another Ice box and bar above.
We decided to replace the ice box with a front loading refrigerator. The door will open to port. Not ideal. Certainly not if you are sailing on a starboard tack. We plan to use this exclusively for food so the beverages will be in the top loading Ice box on the port side. I can ease the sheets a bit if Susan is making lunch below but this should be seldom as we decided at the start that my boat was to be converted to a more modern design intended to be used down below only at anchor or in her slip.

I checked out many units even a few Walmart dorm room units I could run off the inverter. I decided against them as I was unsure of there functioning when the boat was heeled as well as the higher power draw and noise. I had many second thoughts since they are VERY cheap!!

I settled on the latest model Norcold at 3.0 CU FT. This unit is much more space efficient fitting in the same cutout as an older 2.4. It uses a danfoss BD35 compressor that is said to be very efficient and quiet and will run at a 30Deg angle. (we will soon see) 3.0 CU FT. is a lot of room just for food.

Our galley is set-up in mirror finish stainless. I did not want to pay the extra 75$ for the mirror finish insert and silver plastic frame so I purchased the cheaper black unit and slid in a 22 gage mirror stainless insert I sheered it at the factory where I rebuild the boat. I think it looks better, I must admit that I saved very little money
I attached a photo of the unit. You can decide if it was worth it.

I can still return this thing so I'm interested in any comments, suggestions, or tips on installing these things?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (20).jpg
Views:	123
Size:	424.0 KB
ID:	57660  
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote