Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2013, 09:44   #1

Boat: Irwin 42
Fresh Water Repair/Replace ?

I'm getting ready to Haul out for a bottom paint job. This will be a good time to take care of a leak I have in one of the fresh water tanks located under the floor in the main salon.
I have an Iwrin 42 with two fresh water tanks. One is located under the forward "V" berth and the other is the one I just mentioned. The one under the floor which leaks is glassed into place. I can not tell off hand what material it is made of.
I was planning on getting rid of one of the two wanks & install a 150 gal watermaker instead. I would prefer to turn the one located in the "V" into a sail locker & keep the one under the floor... (Of course, right ?)
Does anyone have any suggestions for a repair ? Or am I looking at a replacement considering I will need to remove the floor for the project anyway ?
CoCoKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 14:59   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Fresh Water Repair/Replace ?

It would be helpful to know of what material the tank is constructed and the location of the leak, starters. FWIW, some people faced with this problem remove the top, only, of the tank and fit a bladder. We personally had lousy success with bladders (the worst one chafed through in 2 weeks!), and had s/s tanks made. So, in our use the bladders were problematical, but others have had good success with them.

Ann
Old 24-06-2013, 16:38   #3

Thanks Ann
All I can see so far thru this little 1'x1' floor panel is that it's glassed. Won't be able to tell the material until I get in there... That means taking up the whole floor.
Thanks for the heads up on the bladder procedure. I've heard similar scary stories in the past. I'm sure I'll be back on here when I have more info. Thanks Again, Cal
Old 24-06-2013, 18:20   #4

Boat: Pearson 40

If it is indeed fiberglass, you could remove the floor portion above it and maybe access the leak through an access top port. The tank could be repaired inside as well as outside and with a proper repair not leak again (in that location anyway).

If no access port, you could install a plastic, clear port, making sure it I properly bedded and screwed in. These are useful for cleaning out the tanks, repairs, etc.

Not sure why pulling the boat out is needed though....
silverp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 18:37   #5

Silverp40,
It not necessary to haul the boat for the water tank. It's time to do the bottom. I just thought I would have less 'rock & roll' while doing what ever I needed to.
Thanks for the suggestion. It does sound less complicated if it's glass. At least I wouldn't need to have a custom tank made... It's an old 1975 Irwin. I'm sure it would be almost impossible to find a tank. Keep the fingers crossed. Thanks again, Cal
Old 25-06-2013, 18:35   #6

Boat: Pearson 40

Yes, a custom fiberglass tank would be VERY expensive. Rotomolded polyethylene tanks are fine and much cheaper but need solid attachment points and that is not always wasy to do in a bilge...

Best Luck!
silverp40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water