Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2012, 14:21   #1

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Freeing Zippers

I was just working on someones boat, and they have a #10 coil zipper with two slides, and the slides are frozen. The slides are metal. Anyone have a trick to freeing up zipper slides. Not afraid to force slides on my own boat, because I can fix what I break at my leisure, but don't want to mess up someone else's.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 14:31   #2

Re: Freeing zippers

Spray 'em with silicone whatnot. Maybe that will work to loosen 'em.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 14:39   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

Flush with fresh water. Grab the zipper body part with a blunt nose pliers. Wiggle side to side. One side of the zipper will usually free up. Flush again. Wiggle again. Flush inside and outside. With patience you can usually free it without ruining it. When free Snap-Stick lubricant is useful to keep it free.
Old 30-03-2012, 15:08   #4

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Here is Don Casey's tip.

Don Casey Tip #46
Frozen Zippers

Zippers with metal slides have a bad habit of becoming frozen with corrosion even though the teeth of the zipper are plastic. If you use force, you'll ruin the zipper. Instead, stand the cushion with the zipper up and place a small rag soaked with vinegar over the corroded slide, cover the rag with a piece of Saran, and wait. The acidic vinegar will dissolve the corrosion and free the slide.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 15:23   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
I was just working on someones boat, and they have a #10 coil zipper with two slides, and the slides are frozen. The slides are metal. Anyone have a trick to freeing up zipper slides. Not afraid to force slides on my own boat, because I can fix what I break at my leisure, but don't want to mess up someone else's.
I have freed corroded zippers by soaking the metal slides with a little Wink Rust Remover overnight and then washing the zippers with warm soapy water using an old tooth brush. Sometimes one can also spread the slider a bit with a small needle nose plier but this must be done carefully as the slider needs be recompressed (or replaced) to work. The following is from the White Mountain Back Packing web site:

Quote:
Corroded Zippers

It is always a little difficult when it comes to a zip that is already heavily corroded. It depends on whether the zipper is a nylon coil zipper or a metal tooth zipper. A metal tooth zipper can be more of a problem, particularly if the slider is stuck in position and refuses to move, even with mildly aggressive coaxing. Usually the problem with corrosion only arises when the slider has cemented itself in place, so we will assume that this is the case and the reason you are reading this response. It is Important we be careful not to tear the thread that the zipper is held together with, nor tear the zipper from the item itself. The zipper slider must be made to move, or subsequently replaced without causing damage to the zipper

If the following procedure fails after your best efforts, and the zipper slider is heavily corroded, then the only thing to do is to remove the zipper slider. To remove the zipper slider, gently prise the zipper slider apart, break it in half, remove the zipper slider altogether, and have it replaced. Removing the zipper slider and having it replaced will be a much cheaper alternative to damaging the zipper, in an attempt to force a zipper slider that will not move despite your best efforts.

To coax the zipper slider from a fixed position, I would recommend using a mild detergent, water, and perhaps a soft toothbrush to clean the zipper and zipper slider as much as is possible. Remove as much of the corroded material as possible, and then liberally apply a silicon zipper spray or other suitable lubricant for zippers on the corroded area. Next, place a cord through the zipper slider pull tab, and then gently pull the zipper slider in the direction of closing the zip while holding the back of the zipper. This procedure may take some time, and patience is important if you wish to prevent permanently damaging the zipper.
FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 15:23   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Second the vinegar treatment. It doesn't work every time--depending on the amount of corrosion--but it has saved many a zipper on our boat.
Old 30-03-2012, 15:28   #7

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell
Second the vinegar treatment..
Wait! Before you recommend vinegar you've got to ask what's stuck in the zipper - could increase the pain ten-fold otherwise! ;-)
Old 30-03-2012, 15:38   #8

Boat: Tartan 30

I used vinegar to free my cockpit cushion zippers. No telling how many years they were left as is... Vinegar works well for whatever it was holding them back.
Old 30-03-2012, 16:48   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I've managed to free up the zippers on a couple of pieces but they are still very stiff requiring a lot of force to move. Have sprayed the zippers with McLube dry lubricant whch helps a bit. Unfortunately, if I don't exercise them regularly, they are nearly frozen again by the time I get back to them. These zippers have not been exposed directly to salt water, just on the boat for a couple of years with regular use then a a year with no use before they froze up.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 16:56   #10

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I have used, and will try again, to use vinager, maybe heated. Then maybe some muriatic. I have never dealt with coil zippers before. I just don't understand why they can't make larger zipper slides in plastic. I think maybe I have seen larger ones in white and plastic, but not sure. If that is true, why would a canvas guy use black metal on yacht blue sunbrella on the underside of a T-Top on a white center console fishing boat. Thanks for the input.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 16:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Wait! Before you recommend vinegar you've got to ask what's stuck in the zipper - could increase the pain ten-fold otherwise! ;-)
Ha Ha!
I've freed them with WD40 or with spray Silicone. For Plastic ones I'd try fresh water first. The all plastic ones like used on Bimini's etc get stuck also. Hard to remember to use them and lube them. Beginning to think heavy duty Velcro would be better.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 06:16   #12

Boat: Outbound 44

I've tried white vinegar and various other sprays. They didn't work any better than spraying water for me.
Old 31-03-2012, 15:43   #13

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

I have used toilet cleaner in the past with success.
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 17:01   #14

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

ran across an old salt a few years ago and his remedy for almost anything was "Piss on it" seems the compounds in Urine will do wonders..
Tried it on a squeeky wind vain.. works like a charm..
Once you break it lose, run a bar of soap down the teeth.. soap lubes up the zipper just fine.
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 17:31   #15

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
ran across an old salt a few years ago and his remedy for almost anything was "Piss on it" seems the compounds in Urine will do wonders..
Tried it on a squeeky wind vain.. works like a charm..
Once you break it lose, run a bar of soap down the teeth.. soap lubes up the zipper just fine.
I don't believe you. Got any pics?