Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2008, 09:53   #61

Boat: Beneteau 456
VIVID SUCKS DON'T USE IT in the caribbean!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui View Post
So, has anyone been using the "Vivid" bottom paint for any length of time? I am using this on the trimaran, but have not heard from anyone who has used it long enough to have a real opinion on it's effectiveness. Since the destructive creatures vary in different areas, and different water temps, it would be good to hear from someone arond the central west coast.

I used Vivid in the caribbean and it lost its antifouling properties in about six months. If you are in the caribbean don't use it.
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 16:35   #62

electronic antifouling

Any one heard /tested the "shipsonic" and/or "boatsonic" device ?
esse0esse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:16   #63

Boat: Boatless
$2/ft ??

After I was quoted 10.00 here in CT this past summer. I did find another service further south much more reasonable but he wouldn't travel.

So I beached her and did the scrubbing myself. Most, if not all of the West Marine "PCA Gold" ablative came off. It had been two years in the water and had done a good job up until it didn't. I was very satisfied with the small effort it took to clean her but was really turned off by all the ablative in the water.

So now I have decided NOT to re-coat the bottom (which I had put three coats of epoxy on previously) but to just clean it every so often. I am not racing and can afford to lose a knot of speed.

But I do wonder if this approach may lead to other problems. What thinks you?

J
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:33   #64
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
But I do wonder if this approach may lead to other problems. What thinks you?
I think you will reap the rewards of a cheapskate trying to save a buck. First, you bypassed every environmental safeguard the state of Connecticut has in place by careening your boat and scrubbing all the paint off into the water. Jeezus. Why do you think boatyards have to catch and filter the water they use to pressure wash boats?

Further, since you apparently have no anti fouling left, you will find the hull fouls rapidly and badly and will eventually become very difficult (if not impossible) to clean properly, regardless of cleaning frequency. But, hey- who needs anti fouling paint, right?

So, nice job on polluting the beach and removing one of the most important systems your boat has.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:17   #65

Cheapskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I think you will reap the rewards of a cheapskate trying to save a buck. First, you bypassed every environmental safeguard the state of Connecticut has in place by careening your boat and scrubbing all the paint off into the water. Jeezus. Why do you think boatyards have to catch and filter the water they use to pressure wash boats?

Further, since you apparently have no anti fouling left, you will find the hull fouls rapidly and badly and will eventually become very difficult (if not impossible) to clean properly, regardless of cleaning frequency. But, hey- who needs anti fouling paint, right?

So, nice job on polluting the beach and removing one of the most important systems your boat has.
I appreciate your feedback but do take one exception. It is true I am a cheapskate but only because I don't have a lot of money. I realize that boating is only for more wealthy folk but I just can't help myself.

Ablatives come off in the water and pollute the water, no? So I did something different by scrubbing the ablative off in the water how? When you hire out to clean the bottom you do not remove ablative? I am not being facetious. If there is a difference I would like to know. Also, it is my understanding that up until December 2008 marinas do NOT have to clean up the power washing of bottoms and from my own witness - they don't. They just wash it back into the lift area. I suppose it may be contained there naturally and doesn't get dispersed, I don't know.

I put several coats of epoxy prior to the ablative. I am just thinking how I can save money and not pollute at the same time. But I do want to protect my vessel.

I cleaned the bottom myself in July and it was fine for the rest of the season. It needs cleaning again. First thing in the Spring I will beach it and clean it without putting any poison in the water - then I will have to see how it goes.

J
Old 12-11-2008, 09:00   #66
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Nice reply jimske. These were my exact thoughts. I liked Trinidad, but can't remember which one I used. Can you paint the bottom when you beach it? My experience with ablative was I sailed the stuff off of my bottom in less than a season. BEST WISHES in figuring out the solution to your problem.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 17:15   #67
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
If there is a difference I would like to know.
Here's the difference:

1.- During periodic in-water hull cleaning activities, some paint is scrubbed off, it's true. But not all of it and not all at once.

2.- Normal in-water hull cleaning activities are not illegal. What you did is.

Did you cause a major environmental disaster? Probably not. But that's not the point. The point is, if everybody did what you did, it would be a disaster. Boat yards exist and have to abide by federal environmental regulations for a reason.
Old 12-11-2008, 17:52   #68

Confused?

Quote:
Here's the difference:

1.- During periodic in-water hull cleaning activities, some paint is scrubbed off, it's true. But not all of it and not all at once.

2.- Normal in-water hull cleaning activities are not illegal. What you did is.

Did you cause a major environmental disaster? Probably not. But that's not the point. The point is, if everybody did what you did, it would be a disaster. Boat yards exist and have to abide by federal environmental regulations for a reason.
I guess I am just missing something here.

What I did: motored my trimaran at high tide to the shore; allowed the tide to go out; took a long handled scrub brush and scrubbed the "stuff" off the bottom; waited for the tide to come in and left. Since the tide diff is only 3 ft it was not possible to completely get the boat out of the water but with the long handle I was able to get to pretty much everything but the skeg.

You could clear this up by telling me what a bottom cleaner does that is significantly different then what I did.

J
Old 12-11-2008, 17:59   #69
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You could clear this up by telling me what a bottom cleaner does that is significantly different then what I did.
A hull cleaner would not have scrubbed all the paint off the boat, as you claimed you did in your initial post.
Old 12-11-2008, 18:38   #70

Quote:
A hull cleaner would not have scrubbed all the paint off the boat, as you claimed you did in your initial post.
Ahhh, OK. I see now that you misread my initial post. I made no such claim. So basically you do the same thing that I do. No problem.

My main interest is to how NOT to pollute with any toxic bottom paint! Whether it is little by little or not. Being a cheapskate, I hope to save money, too. I don't know if this is feasible but I will give it a try.

Maybe a hard glossy paint would be the answer for me. Easier to clean?

J
Old 12-11-2008, 18:56   #71
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I see now that you misread my initial post. I made no such claim.
I don't believe I misread your post. Here is a quote:

Quote:
So I beached her and did the scrubbing myself. Most, if not all of the West Marine "PCA Gold" ablative came off.
I don't see how that could construed any other way besides you scrubbed all the paint off your boat.

Quote:
My main interest is to how NOT to pollute with any toxic bottom paint! Whether it is little by little or not. Being a cheapskate, I hope to save money, too. I don't know if this is feasible but I will give it a try.

Maybe a hard glossy paint would be the answer for me. Easier to clean?
Listen, I clean boat bottoms for a living here in the Bay Area and have done for 14+ years. In that time I have seen it all, including boats living (for whatever reason) in a marine environment without anti fouling paint. It is a losing proposition. Maybe your boat doesn't live in a high or moderate fouling region but even so, if you keep it in the water without bottom paint, I guarantee you will end up regretting it. Take it from a professional, it's a mistake and will end up costing you much more in dollars, hassle and reduced performance (under sail and power both) than you will ever save by not anti fouling the bottom. If you are truly interested in not polluting, there are many non-toxic anti fouling paints that you can buy. But be advised that they are generally expensive, difficult to apply and require frequent cleanings.
Old 12-11-2008, 19:13   #72

OK, thanks.