Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2014, 05:37   #1

Boat: Formosa 51CC
Formosa 51CC wooden mast issue

Hi every body,

The inspection before sailing out for the first time reveale a problem with the chainplate mounted on the mizzen mast.
The main mast backstay is attached to the mizzen mast just above the spreaders to a SS plate which I will call chainplate. The chainplate was wrongly mounted on the mast, having the base of the triangle toward the bottom, so the main backstay had pull the plate out 3/8” (10mm).
The two bolts securing the plate turn with the nuts. I used a visegrip to remove the nuts. The bolts turn but seem to be holding thight inside the mast, the wood arround the bolts is sound.
My concern is can I trust them to reinstall the chainplate or should I find another way to secure the chainplate to the mast.

Does anyone knows how the two bolts were mounted inside the mast? What hold them in?
What are my options to secure the chainplate to the mizzen mast?
Expert on wooden mast is impossible the get here in Tunisia so I will appreciate all the comments and inputs.
JuanCarlosI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formosa, mast