Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2011, 06:32   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Force 10 propane stove

I,am equiping a Cabo Rico 38 for offshore sailing.I,need a new stove alreadyy plumbed for propane.I see the Force 10 and it looks like a safer stove and mor apt for rolling seas than others,any experience anyone has would be appreciated,Thank's to all
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 07:49   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Re: Force 10 propane stove

I had a bad experience with customer service -- terse and not terribly helpful. Ended up sending me the wrong part, only to find out later they had discontinued the correct part. They are otherwise pretty rugged.
Old 25-12-2011, 07:57   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I bought a Tasco stove, have used it offshore for about 3 years, and am very happy with it--sounds like it is Chinese, but it is made in Taunton, Mass.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 08:23   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

The thing with Force 10 is the price is good and I have one in my boat. But if you are serious using the stove/oven for a long period of time I think the other brands would be a better choice for the long run.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 08:59   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i like mine. i bought it before prices went over 1500 usd... is a good stove.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 14:29   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have a Force 10 three-burner / oven (propane) and it has served us well. After several years I had the electric spark ignitor stop working (check the battery first!), and was able to get the proper replacement part. I recall talking with someone at Force 10 and getting good advice.

The oven and broiler work well, and we've used the burners during some pretty rough conditions. The pivots do the job, but pot-clamps are a good idea. I've got a pair that clamp on the top of the stove -- don't remember if these were original or a later purchase.

It's a very good idea to add a counterweight to the bottom of the stove, otherwise (for example) a big pot of boiling water will cause the stove to be top-heavy, which is definitely not a good thing. For a while I would stash some heavy tools (wrenches, hammer) in the oven to help the balance. This works if you remember to remove them before pre-heating the oven! I eventually bolted a big chunk of scrap steel underneath the oven, which really made a difference.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 14:33   #7
Marine Service Provider

Good thinking about the weight I have some 10Lb lead bars,should workI don't bake anyway
Old 27-12-2011, 10:42   #8

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Casual, We have a Tasco 2 burner on our CR-38. Seems to be a well/heavily built unit. I can't see ever needing more than 2 burners, but we're not exactly "gourmet" cooks either.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 12:29   #9

Since I sail a great many boats I do not have a long term relationship with any particular stove but I have used a great many different models. Force 10 has been a long time favourite. The oven door swings under the stove which is especially helpful when the you have something in the oven. The lips on the oven racks also help to keep items in the stove. The top surface is easy to clean.

On the other hand I am not a fan of their BBQs.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 13:19   #10

Boat: Allures 44

John at Attainable Adventure Cruising has written some interesting posts about the Force 10 stove's pros and cons (check out the readers' comments, too):

Force10 Stove (Cooker), Problems

Force10 Stove (Cooker)
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 13:37   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

I have owned a Force 10 3 burner with oven and grill since the late 90's and it has been great. I did replace the battery holder for the igniter but it was only $3 - not from Force 10 but an electronics store as it is a generic part. I live aboard so the stove sees a lot of use.
Pot holders are included. Although French owned (Eno Group) for about 5 years the stoves are still made in B.C.

Jack - the BBQ's are made by Kuuma for Force 10 and I agree about their quality.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 13:45   #12
Marine Service Provider

Again Many Thanks for all the input.I contacted Tasco spoke with a Gent named Dave,very knowledgeable and helpful.Explained the differences between the base 550 seris and 750 seris,NO brainer 750 seris was the best deal around ,and it comes complete no exteras to add,Plus it's made in the USA,
Old 27-12-2011, 17:07   #13

Boat: Columbia 41

I have an old stainless steel Regal two burner stove with oven. I got mine from Bacon Sails for $250 two years ago. It came with an electric igniter but I use matches to light the burners anyway. I also have two Force 10 cabin heaters. I replaced the burners on both of them. There is a small-ish company in California that still sells them. I forget the name.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 09:50   #14

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

I have found the oven/broiler control valve on our older 3-burner Gourmet Galley Range (model #62351) stopped working (it could no longer be turned). Contacting Force 10 I was informed this was the one part they no longer support and the only option was purchasing a new stove (model #63351). Needless to say, this was a disappointing unexpected expense. Since the boat is currently in Mexico, it also adds some logistical challenges.
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 10:12   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

here in mexico there are many alternatives to use --- i will be considering some of these when my force 10 eventually loses function....mebbe a solar oven, in cockpit, with portability--should be invented by then....

unless someone brought me a functional 2 burner propane stove--i would trade for that.....my 3 burner works great.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane