Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2017, 19:08   #1

Force 10 Burner Replacement- Thermocoupke Prob

I splurged on upgrading all 3 top burners on my older stove (age unknown). This mostly due to the black burner caps going south. So I spent about 3 hundred and at least 6 hrs- result is very nice stainless parts, nice flame but Won't stay lit. It appears the thermocouples aren't quite high (into the flame) enough to work. They are not adjustable height wise so it appears. When I removed the screwed in supports (2) for each burner, it allows the burner to drop down closer to the stove surface- and viola- the thermocouples then work.
Anybody else buy the $100 per burner retro kits? what was your experience?
Force 10 support less than steller.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 19:23   #2

Re: Force 10 Burner Replacement- Thermocoupke Prob

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine50 View Post
I splurged on upgrading all 3 top burners on my older stove (age unknown). This mostly due to the black burner caps going south. So I spent about 3 hundred and at least 6 hrs- result is very nice stainless parts, nice flame but Won't stay lit. It appears the thermocouples aren't quite high (into the flame) enough to work. They are not adjustable height wise so it appears. When I removed the screwed in supports (2) for each burner, it allows the burner to drop down closer to the stove surface- and viola- the thermocouples then work.
Anybody else buy the $100 per burner retro kits? what was your experience?
Force 10 support less than steller.

Hi,

Not sure if it will work but these work but plumbing supplies have these as a generic part. I've previously replaced on my gas hot water heater and ducted heating l. Price is only about $10. If you have the thermocoupling out of the stove take it and show them. There's very little to them other than along piece of copper with a few threads on it
tronic72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 05:27   #3

Thanks for responding- trying to use existing thermocouple. Anybody have experience with the burner retro kits?
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 05:34   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

This is why when I bought my boat I replaced the then 28 y.o. Force 10 that had only one working burner. The retrofit kit and associated parts were getting a long way towards the cost of a new stove.

Yes Force 10 support blows. They are knowledgeable, they just aren't at all helpful or accommodating, even with new stoves.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 05:38   #5

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

I've just been through the process of completely stripping down my Force10, replacing the inner glass pane on the door (broken by PO) and repairing the igniter circuit, along with improving the insulation.

Unless you've done so already, it may be worth cleaning the thermocouple heads as best you can with a fine-grit sandpaper to remove any burned grease deposits or oxidation. Any non-original coatings will act to insulate the thermocouple from the flame and slow the rate at which it acts on the gas valves.

Sent from mTalk
Old 30-04-2017, 09:32   #6

Boat: Montevideo 43

I recently bought a Force ten oven and the thermocouple are faulty. The flame will not stay on. I am about to remove it take it to a dealer. Glad someone else also had a problem. So it is not me.
Jannie Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 10:21   #7

Boat: Ontario32

Force 10 was bought out by ENO of France about 3 years ago. Not the same company anymore.
Crew of Turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 18:22   #8

Sorry I got confused I have a force ten heater. I'm trying to sell it it's in very good condition. I can't sleep tight with a live flame burning.
pdenton
pdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 20:31   #9

Boat: Hans Christian 43

Here is a technical note from Force 10 website

http://www.force10.com/files/documen...ech%20Note.pdf
Rowglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men