Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2016, 09:11   #1

Foam backed vinyl

Hello all,

The foam backing on my vinyl has basically turned to dust. I've removed it the best I can. For simplicity, I'm going to replace it with foam backed vinyl again, but I was thinking I'd used closed cell foam so that if (when) there is a leak, it won't act like a sponge. But, I can't find vinyl with closed cell foam backing...it's all latex based open cell. I read another thread where somebody glued closed cell onto vinyl and then glued that to the hull.

Is there a company that sells the closed cell already attached to the vinyl? If not, is there a reason that would be a bad idea?

Thanks!
Geminiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 19:56   #2

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Re: Foam backed vinyl

This happened to our boat more than 20 years ago.
At the time Defender sold a closed cell foam/vinyl 1/10 inch thick. It seemed more like solid vinyl I guess.
I don't think they sell it anymore; it came from Hough Marine, Washington or Oregon. I recently saw that they went under a different name now.
I used 3 M water based contact cement. The normal stuff starts to dissolve the vinyl, and the fumes are pretty bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminiah View Post
Hello all,

The foam backing on my vinyl has basically turned to dust. I've removed it the best I can. For simplicity, I'm going to replace it with foam backed vinyl again, but I was thinking I'd used closed cell foam so that if (when) there is a leak, it won't act like a sponge. But, I can't find vinyl with closed cell foam backing...it's all latex based open cell. I read another thread where somebody glued closed cell onto vinyl and then glued that to the hull.

Is there a company that sells the closed cell already attached to the vinyl? If not, is there a reason that would be a bad idea?

Thanks!
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote