Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2008, 09:00   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Flexible Water Tank Repair?

The Problem:

and:

Nauta Flexible Water Tanks consisting of PVC/Nitrile coating over light weight fabric. A prior patch (outlined area) by the previous owner failed allowing a slow but persistant leak.

I cannot seem to find any information on the appropriate adhesive for this material and I was wondering is anyone on the site might have any experience with this issue.

Thanks,

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 02:29   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Nauta Flexable Tanks are distributed by Imtra in the USA.

Contact IMTRA Support:
Email: IMTRA Marine Products
Tel: (508) 995-7000
Fax: (508) 998-5359

According to Imtra,all Nauta Holding Tanks are made with a rugged 840-denier nylon fabric, coated on both sides with a neoprene/nitrile compound.
You might try a neoprene (wet suit) or Hypalon adhesive (contact cement).

Aquaseal and Black Witch are two popular brands of neoprene (wetsuit) adhesive.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 09:04   #3

Gord--

Thanks for your note (again). My description of the material was based upon the paperwork that seemed to have come with the tank that we found in the ship's papers so perhaps the materials have changed in the years since it was installed?

N'any case, I have tried a repair using a patch from our inflatable kit and contact cement, carefully applied and thoroughly compressed. Hopefully that will do the trick. We'll see!

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 06-05-2008, 09:34   #4

Follow-Up

FWIW I have discovered a situation with our flex-tanks that others might like to know about.

Per my earlier note, above, I made repairs to our water-tank using contact cement per suggestions by GordMay. Upon reinstalling the tanks, however, I discovered another leakage issue that I hadn't noticed earlier.

In short, after reinstalling the tank, I tightened all of the fittings and filled the tank, but left it uncovered so I could check for leaks the next morning (I drew circles around each fitting with a water-based pen so that any seepage would be revealed). Upon checking I discovered seepage around the base of the fill fitting that had evidently loosened over night. While I sat there pondering the matter I noticed that every time the boat rocked, the fill hose, which lays on top of the tank and still had water in it, moved somewhat with respect to the tank itself. Evidently, this repeated movement worked the filler throat back and forth ever so slightly, but enough to loosen the fitting sufficiently to cause seepage.

I have retightened the fitting and secured the hose to the top of the bladder with a number of layers of duct-tape to prevent this differential movement in the future and will now check our other water tank, and our holding tank, to ensure that a similar situation has not developed with these. A holding tank could be particularly problemsome as even the slightest leak could allow oders to escape.

s/v HyLyte
Old 06-05-2008, 11:36   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
DUCT TAPE........why isn't it called miracle tape? That stuff cures just about everything. If only the sailmaker at Pinapple in Oakland Ca. could describe a sail I once brought to him.....LOLOLOLOL
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote