Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2017, 12:34   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Flange bearing - stainless or thermoplatic housing?

Getting ready to haul my boat in a couple of weeks to do some routine maintenance, and plan on pulling the shaft to get it checked/reconditioned, replace the dripless stuffing box lips seals, and replace the awful corroded mess of a flange bearing shown in the picture. Researching online and it seems that I can go with either all stainless or one with a thermoplastic housing. Anyone have any experience with flange bearings, and can offer some advice?

Regards,
David.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7206.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	148757  
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 13:06   #2

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'
Re: Flange bearing - stainless or thermoplatic housing?

No way would I install a thermoplastic flange bearing on my shaft. You want to insure that it can absorb unforseen shocks that can occur on a boats drive system.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 13:27   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Punch the old bearing out of the flange, paint it, press in new bearing. I would worry the plastic bearing could melt
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 13:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Punch the old bearing out of the flange, paint it, press in new bearing. I would worry the plastic bearing could melt
Um, no. No way I'm putting that rusty junk back in my boat, no matter how many layers of paint are on it.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 30-05-2017, 14:03   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If it's just surface rust I think using some rust killer (osphosphoric acid) I think it's called and then good paint would be better than new.
Usually the flange is painted with poor quality paint.
I wonder if SS or better, bronze flanges are available?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 14:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If it's just surface rust I think using some rust killer (osphosphoric acid) I think it's called and then good paint would be better than new.
Usually the flange is painted with poor quality paint.
I wonder if SS or better, bronze flanges are available?
Stainless are available. Peer makes a part SSUCF206-20 that seems perfect, and I've seen prices ranging from $60 to almost $400. If I can find one on the lower end of that scale, it seems like a good choice. Mine is probably rusted due to a bit of spray from the leaky shaft seal (which I'm also addressing). But putting anything that can corrode on a boat is an big no-no to me...

-David
Old 31-05-2017, 07:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Stainless are available. Peer makes a part SSUCF206-20 that seems perfect, and I've seen prices ranging from $60 to almost $400. If I can find one on the lower end of that scale, it seems like a good choice.
Just got an AMAZING deal on this part. Amazon had one listed for $11.58 with Prime free 2-day shipping. After confirming the part number I hit "buy" and completed my order. Then I just happened to view the original item listing again, and the price had gone up to $261.80, no more free shipping, and only available in 2-3 weeks. I'm a happy camper!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-David
Old 31-05-2017, 11:39   #8

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Saw something like this just recently in a Govt. Surplus store for Cdn $5 ea.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 13:22   #9

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Just got an AMAZING deal on this part. Amazon had one listed for $11.58 with Prime free 2-day shipping. After confirming the part number I hit "buy" and completed my order. Then I just happened to view the original item listing again, and the price had gone up to $261.80, no more free shipping, and only available in 2-3 weeks. I'm a happy camper!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-David
Seems like a few months back somebody else found something similar on a dink? Pays off good to surf Amazon and strike fast when you see the deal!
Old 02-06-2017, 15:53   #10

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1496443917.564804.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	149035

Got the new stainless steel flange bearing, all of $11.58 on Amazon. Feels like my birthday!
Old 03-06-2017, 10:52   #11

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Davidhoy:
Could you please state the brand of bearing in the housing, if possible to see it.

Thank you
Old 03-06-2017, 13:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Son View Post
Davidhoy:
Could you please state the brand of bearing in the housing, if possible to see it.

Thank you

I believe it's made by Seer. The housing definitely, and I think the bearing too.
Old 03-06-2017, 14:21   #13

Picture says Peer, can't find Seer, Peer is out of Waukegan, didn't know if they make the rolling element or not? Hopefully it is a Timken bearing, or an SKF.
Old 03-06-2017, 14:24   #14

Sorry, that was a smartphone typo. Peer it is. I honestly have no idea about the actual bearing. The Peer website may have some info.
Old 03-06-2017, 14:49   #15

After a bit of searching found that Peer is a wholly owned subsidiary of SKF, with great status with John Deer among others. So, great bearings.