Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2011, 03:10   #1

Boat: 48 foot ketch, based on Tahitian
Fixing-Up a Ferro !

Hi, I'm fixing up a ferro ketch and would like to know a couple of things. When grinding out the paint on the deck or hull for repainting, doesn't that eventually wear out the cover over the steel underneath? I believe its only 2 or 3 mm so there isn't much of a margin. Is there a better way to do it? The current paint system is chlorinated rubber I think.
Also, who has used PVA as a concrete bonding agent? Have you mixed it into the concrete or just painted the prepared surface? Have you tested its strength in any way?
Thanks a lot!
billy4184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 03:37   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: Fixing up a ferro!

Without knowing the age of your boat Chlorinated Rubber paint is a possibility. However, before going to much further why not take a sample to a reputable industrial paint company and get it properly identified.

The could then make recommendations as to the correct procedure to "refresh" your paint.

I would not recommend grinding.

PVA was common as a concrete bonding agent, however I'm not sure as to current practice. The best method for repairing ferro cement may vary with each job.

Its a long time since I built my Hartley RORC 32 and I believe much has changed since.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 06:57   #3

Re: Fixing up a ferro!

Hi Boracay, thanks for the reply, I have the used container here its Boncote cement paint based on Portland cement and comes in powder form, sorry should have made sure before posting...do you know how to prepare a surface for it? I will be using it again as it seems to have stuck well, but its been a long time since it was painted. As for my first question, even if I use a sander, is it possible that over time, with each new surface preparation the surface is receding toward the steel? Btw, what happened to your RORC, I could have sworn I saw a steel one on your profile...?
Cheers
Old 19-07-2011, 16:40   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

RORC long gone...

My RORC got sold long ago.

There are several ways of preping concrete. Grinding would be my least favorite.

My memory is hazy but I'd be sure there are better products than Bondcote for use on ferro boats now. Is it Porter's Bondcote that you have?
Old 19-07-2011, 18:47   #5

Re: Fixing-Up a Ferro !

Yep its Porters. It seems to have stuck very well, and recently Dad has painted straight over or done very light sanding, but I'd like a cleaner and fuller looking finish, which is why I'd like to strip back the paint a fair bit and coat it again.
Also, if you don't mind, what's the maintenance cost/time difference like between a steel and a ferro?
Cheers
Old 19-07-2011, 19:15   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

New ferro v's old steel...

My ferro was new, having built the hull myself. Only kept her 3 years until the money and friends ran out, so it was really a matter of fixing the occasional ding.

Boracay had a few years (maybe 10 or so) when I brought her and the steel's got a few gouges and scratches.

Have to say the steel takes more time and money, fewer worries if I hit anything though.

Tags
ferro