Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2015, 09:32   #1

First time boat builder with questions

Hi everyone I'm in the process of planing a build. I'm working with a guy who has some knowledge but I don't think he's done one as big as I'm planning. I want to do an 18 to 20ft, 8 to 10ft wide 9ft tall sail boat. I'm planning to seal it with oakrum and tar. My questions are on materials and methods. I've been doing a lot of research on building and here's what I was thinking. 4x4 posts joined together tar sealed with anchor bolts to form the keel, 2x4's joined to it in an A frame type fasion about every 2ft. So I'm just wondering if that will work for the hull framing and what would be good for the planking? Also what is a good mast height and diameter for a boat this size?
raven12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 14:13   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: First time boat builder with questions

Framing sounds a bit light for a blue water boat, but should be OK for coastal cruising.

I'd go with sheetrock for the planking.

The mast height should be twice the boat length

Mast diameter should be 10% of the beam.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 17:38   #3

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Sounds like you need http://www.georgebuehler.com advice. Very good book on budget boatbuildjng in wood.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 24-11-2015, 02:01   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

google "flying hawaian" for top tips............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 02:32   #5

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven12 View Post
Hi everyone I'm in the process of planing a build. I'm working with a guy who has some knowledge but I don't think he's done one as big as I'm planning. I want to do an 18 to 20ft, 8 to 10ft wide 9ft tall sail boat. I'm planning to seal it with oakrum and tar. My questions are on materials and methods. I've been doing a lot of research on building and here's what I was thinking. 4x4 posts joined together tar sealed with anchor bolts to form the keel, 2x4's joined to it in an A frame type fasion about every 2ft. So I'm just wondering if that will work for the hull framing and what would be good for the planking? Also what is a good mast height and diameter for a boat this size?
Twelve quarter iroko sounds about right for planking...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 02:39   #6

I recommend you consider bamboo and bullsh!t. Bamboo because of it's high strength to weight ratio and bullsh!t because of it's low cost and ready availability.

But seriously, I think you are getting some off the wall answers here because your question makes it sound like you haven't even scratched the surface in terms of researching acceptable boat building practices and that you may be a troll.

Perhaps for you first time out you could try buying a small kit boat that will include detailed plans and instructions to get you going. Good luck!
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 02:53   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Raven.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=diy+b...NsPmoAST8KaACA

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 04:57   #8

Actually I have worked on tugboats fixed up a stern wheel and patched hulls in barges building a boat and being aboard a sail boat are things I've wanted to try so I figured coming here would be helpful becuase I could get some advice from people who know what they are doing but since everyone wants to be ******** I'll figure it out myself thanks Delancy
Old 24-11-2015, 05:10   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
.. and that you may be a troll....
Shirley, you jest. I would never have suspected that.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 06:09   #10

Boat: Sandibar 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post

Perhaps for you first time out you could try buying a small kit boat that will include detailed plans and instructions to get you going. Good luck!
Taking a chance that the OP is serious, the above is the only sensible advice. No need for a kit, but proven plans are must, or you will probably just waste a couple of years on the build. I've done a 17ft planing hull from stock plans using stitch and glue and even that was a pretty involved process (turned out fine, though). The thought of bolts and tar on your own "design" just doesn't seem that great an idea.

Quote:
but since everyone wants to be ******** I'll figure it out myself...
oh, never mind..
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 06:20   #11

See the bolts and tar were from an "instructional" I found on the internet. The guy said that's how they used to seal things up and put things together which is why I decided to come here and ask because you can't really trust everything. The more I thought about that and what I had drawn up the more I began to think I needed better advice.
Old 24-11-2015, 06:54   #12

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

It seems you are actually intending to build a small sailboat. That will be a challenging and rewarding experience. Best of luck to you.

I won't defend the responses above but consider that the "tar and 2 x 4 method" may have triggered those responses. As it fits a typical troll method of posting a less than ideal course of action, whatever the subject. In and attempt to "trick" responders into taking it seriously. If so, the troll considers that a win, and a stroke of his or juvenile ego. Pretty lame.

Stick around. There are very helpful and knowledgeable people here. Even some who have already posted here, though in a misguided shoot the troll mode.

Maybe try asking what plan set would be worthy of your time in the size and use type you desire. A set of plans is a must for success in opinion.

Then as you build you won't find a better resource for advice than this forum.

Don't give up on us just yet. We just got off on the wrong foot as they say.
Old 24-11-2015, 06:57   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Raven.

What follows is written in a friendly tone of voice, intended to help you.

Some frivolous and facetious answers above were posted by knowledgeable sailors, some in jest, some most likely because a forum like this one gets lots of questions from new members which to the more experienced members may appear to be trolling.

A good idea is to give some background on your experience, goals, and budget, whenever asking questions like you have, and it is smart to do do in your initial post, to avoid assumptions by members, who generally like to help.

Someone suggested reading about the "Flying Hawaiian" boat. Just google that. It was a bigger home built catamaran built with common building supplies. It sank on its maiden voyage and was written about extensively.

The suggestion to look into George Buehler (google him) is a good one, because he designed many small boats that are designed for home building using plywood and simple tools. Handyman can do it type boats.

Also, there is a forum that focuses on wooden boats too. Just google wooden boat forum. Many designs are discussed there and proper methods and materials.

Good luck!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 06:59   #14

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Raven, you stated your questions are on materials and methods. Excellent starting point.

So guys and gals, what materials and methods are best for a first time build around twenty feet? For inland lake sailing I assume.

Any specific plan sets to recommend?
Old 24-11-2015, 07:10   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven12 View Post
... what would be good for the planking ...
Cedar strip planks.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
builder